Cup stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
oops56

Cup stove

Postby oops56 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:50 pm

:idea: I got a idea get a tin. or alum. coffee cup with a built in stove on bottom and it stays with the cup at all times .When you just need a one cup of joe turn over cup a little alcohol water in cup fire it up flame out hot water no need to boil just hot i must sleep on this i know some one must have a idea. :idea:
Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Re: Cup stove

Postby DarenN » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:56 pm

maybe one of those stainless steel coffee cups that Coglins sells. the one with the long wire handle. for the burner you could use something like the "RING-OF-FIRE" sized just right so it stays with the cup.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:30 pm

DarenN wrote:maybe one of those stainless steel coffee cups that Coglins sells. the one with the long wire handle. for the burner you could use something like the "RING-OF-FIRE" sized just right so it stays with the cup.

yep but the stove must be on a coffe cup and stay on all times even when drinking. gone out to shop to burn lips :lol: :lol:

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:53 pm

oops56 wrote:
DarenN wrote:maybe one of those stainless steel coffee cups that Coglins sells. the one with the long wire handle. for the burner you could use something like the "RING-OF-FIRE" sized just right so it stays with the cup.

yep but the stove must be on a coffe cup and stay on all times even when drinking. gone out to shop to burn lips :lol: :lol:
tried 3 or 4 times no good on the back burner for now

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:16 pm

Good idea oops. Make it like Daren says. I'll make one tomorrow just for the fun of it :D

JB weld it to the cup ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:33 pm

I did a quick ring of fire for this stainless steel pepper shaker. It looks good, not too bulky, first burn is on the yellow/orange side as always for the first few times of the burning in of the fiberglass wrap.

ImageImageImage

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:41 pm

I use , Basically a shallow cup, very shallow about 15 to 18 mm in depth, and at least 20mm greater in diameter than the cup in question...

l ----------------------------xllx------------------------------- l Very crude I know... But the pink is mesh.
l ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;ll ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;l
l______________________ll________________________l and the blue is a broad head screw that holds the mesh... the x's is a grommet, like the starlyte filling port.... the cup is stuffed with layers of center punched(hole in the middle for the screw ) cotton or fiberglass cloth(;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;)...and topped off with a layer of mesh that provides thermal feed back and prevents flare ups... I have a very ad hoc version of this that I use in the campus library just use it on top of metal pencil case... with a narrow stainless steel cup... It used to contain shoe polish... similar to this (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=768&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=mini+polish) thanks to DarreN, for the inspiration... So i have coffee from these little one sachet one cup things... it doesnt stay on the cup cause i seal it up again... but it could if you stick a really big snap-in thing like on jackets, think they're called press studs.. to the top of the stove....
Last edited by seudo_411 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:48 pm

zelph wrote:I did a quick ring of fire for this stainless steel pepper shaker. It looks good, not too bulky, first burn is on the yellow/orange side as always for the first few times of the burning in of the fiberglass wrap.

ImageImageImage

I been working on mine northing good yet also is you burner weld to the cup. What i was getting at is the stove does on not come off stays on forever. dam i got a cup just like it i whonder who gave it to me that handle gets dam hot

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:58 pm

seudo_411 wrote:I use , Basically a shallow cup, very shallow about 15 to 18 mm in depth, and at least 20mm greater in diameter than the cup in question...

l ----------------------------xllx------------------------------- l Very crude I know... But the pink is mesh.
l ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;ll ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;l
l______________________ll________________________l and the blue is a broad head screw that holds the mesh... the x's is a grommet, like the starlyte filling port.... the cup is stuffed with layers of center punched(hole in the middle for the screw ) cotton or fiberglass cloth(;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;)...and topped off with a layer of mesh that provides thermal feed back and prevents flare ups... I have a very ad hoc version of this that I use in the campus library just use it on top of metal pencil case... with a narrow stainless steel cup... It used to contain shoe polish... similar to this (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=768&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=mini+polish) thanks to DarreN, for the inspiration... So i have coffee from these little one sachet one cup things... it doesnt stay on the cup cause i seal it up again... but it could if you stick a really big snap-in thing like on jackets, think they're called press studs.. to the top of the stove....

Clever idea :D You use it in the campus library :o If you use HEET, why not, has no odor to speak of and no fear of spilling fuel. Fill it before going to the library. Why did'nt I think of that? I like you set-up the way it is. No fear of getting the wick wet when washing the cup out.

Thanks Daren for the inspiration on the polish can and ss mesh. Those Canadians are quite inspirational
:)

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:19 pm

zelph wrote:
Clever idea :D You use it in the campus library :o If you use HEET, why not, has no odor to speak of and no fear of spilling fuel. Fill it before going to the library. Why did'nt I think of that? I like you set-up the way it is. No fear of getting the wick wet when washing the cup out.

Thanks Daren for the inspiration on the polish can and ss mesh. Those Canadians are quite inspirational
:)

Yeah I use it in the Library, We have a 8 floor Library, or in the student center that is open 24/7 and provides free broad band ... I use 9o% Ethanol, burns clean no odors... does attract a lot of attention though...I have been working on a new idea called the Capsule stove... I was on heavy pain medication for a while and I had to take a lot of capsules and in one of my trans-nocturnal,pain-ridden caffeine/nicotine induced benders i was staring at this pill and it hit me...

So Zelph here with I take great pride in presenting the Capsule stove...

Parts from the bottom up is as follows...

i) Metal baking powder tin with the screw on lid.
ii) There is a male to male 0.5 inch threaded coupling, looks like threaded rod with the center drilled out.
iii) The coupling goes through the lid of the tin and has a flat nut on the inside as well as the outside of the lid, this prevents the coupler from moving around.
iv) The burner basket consists of a piece of fairly course steel mesh that is cut in the following way (see image below)

The sides simply fold up and join at the edges only this allows air slits to form, it is topped off with a piece of sheet metal that focuses the flame (Stilleto)
The green ribbon is none other than a piece of fiber glass cloth that acts as a wick and comes up all the way through the coupler and into the burner cup, a third flat nut sits in side the burner cup. I was considering using a metal tube to house the Fiber glass wick and by relying on the concept of thermal feed back create a slight pressure in the tin and use this force to push the fuel up. Maybe copper tubing... Oh and I have never seen HEET, I live in South Africa, I just get my ethanol 90%(Food grade ) for about $7.00 per liter from the pharmacy.

P:S : Considering that you are all hikers and general nature lovers, here is a view from my balcony (1st) and one from the exactly the same spot just on the ground floor (2nd) and about 45deg to the right...
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk80 ... 000884.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk80 ... 000882.jpg

Seudo_411
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”