Starlish(1st Burn)

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
User avatar
seudo_411
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:32 pm
Location: South Africa
Contact:

Starlish(1st Burn)

Postby seudo_411 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:53 am

Hey all

I present to you the STARLISH, it is a hybrid derivative of Zelph's STARLYTE and DarreN's MINI POLISH.

It is the burner of the HEXAGON clip on burner, which is now being renamed to the Octo-Clip-On. The base of my stove top espresso maker has 8 sides and not 6 , The second part will be along soon, it holds the burner and doubles as a heat reflector/ wind screen, also holds the burner when packed.

So Picture time.... :mrgreen: (c'mon who doesnt love a show and tell) The pictures are shot in a top secret location.... It is known by some as the garage, but when I put on my mad scientist coat, (and a jersey cause mom says i'll get sick :roll: ) It becomes a testing ground...

The fuel is a blend of 1thumb of 90% Ethanol(fuel of choice) and 2 thumbs of Methylated Spirits (Purple Haze)... It is all that i had available... The post burn autopsy Photo's will be posted by 19:00 CAT on 16/06/08.

But for now I have these.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage



Ok so i have more good news the autopsy photos are in...Awaiting upload... edit post burn photos are in.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

You can see the results of the first burn... not to bad i think :| could be better... There is also a view of the top secret testing bunker, (think i'm kidding the door on the left is bullet proof. :ugeek: )

Oh and some more scenery shots taken today...
ImageImageImage

Seudo_411
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15821
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Starlish(1st Burn)

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:07 pm

It's coming along just fine and dandy. The ss screen looks like it's from a coffee press/maker..

Are you getting long burn times with 1 ounce of fuel? How long?

Is one thumb equal to 1 tablespoon? :)

It'll be interesting to see how you attach it to the coffee maker.

What material are you packing inside the burner to absorb fuel?

Nice photos of the sunrise!!!! What do you do to pass the time of day while waiting to return to school? Do you go out and bike the trails locally?

You have a round stove and a rectangular scorch mark on the fuel absorbing material. Hmmm! how did it happen? :)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
seudo_411
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:32 pm
Location: South Africa
Contact:

Re: Starlish(1st Burn)

Postby seudo_411 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:02 am

zelph wrote:It's coming along just fine and dandy. The ss screen looks like it's from a coffee press/maker..

Are you getting long burn times with 1 ounce of fuel? How long?

Is one thumb equal to 1 tablespoon? :)

It'll be interesting to see how you attach it to the coffee maker.

What material are you packing inside the burner to absorb fuel?

Nice photos of the sunrise!!!! What do you do to pass the time of day while waiting to return to school? Do you go out and bike the trails locally?

You have a round stove and a rectangular scorch mark on the fuel absorbing material. Hmmm! how did it happen? :)


The screen is from a Bodum French Press the 1 cup version.

The material is cotton from the bags the bank issue for money.

The photo is of sunset at 17:26 CAT, on 16/06/08.(In summer sunset is at around 20:00)

The rectangular scorch mark is a result of the rectangle piece of material that i put on top of the main filling to absorb heat from the brass compression ring that keeps the SS screen from touching the material. So after a burn i just replace that patch, i'm considering putting a 5cent coin there because its about the size of the brass ring...

The filling material really slows the stove down a lot it is too absorbing.

But I have to put my projects on hold for a while, whilst my budget recuperates, from the 27/06 my research goes into over drive as my father is going on holiday for a while. I'm also going back to work soon.

For those of you who are wondering what A commerce student like me does for a holiday job, check this out:
http://www.huguenotchocolates.com/index.htm.... yes i know what you thinking... :D

I have a second job as well I am part of a group that does youth development, we take the kids from our area and teach them drama skills they had their first performance a month ago, I do PR and Financial planning for the group so I have to do year end statements...

I was running a few ideas through my mind, it is for the Capsule stove, I need some help with the burner cup and fuel stem, I know that I want to use a fibre glass core in side a copper tube, but what about the the cup itself, if the pressure is forcing fuel up the tube won't the stove become a run away...

If anyone has any ideas on how i can make a lamp style burner cup and fuel stem please let me know, I will be having the parts machined by the CNC people from aluminum... So those flashes of briliance that you fellow stovies have had but were overshadowed by a lack of access to tools Let me know...

Soon i'll be posting the Prototype sketches, for scrutiny by all stovies... Look out for the Capsule-Stove prototype Post....

I'm out for now the orders came down that the "Top Secret Test Facility" has to be spring cleaned.

Seudo_411
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15821
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Starlish(1st Burn)

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:57 am

Use "Tiki" torch replacement wicks for the fuel absorbing material. Cut the wick in pieces so that they stand verticle inside your burner. You want the fibers to be virticle to bring the fuel to the surface of the burner so the fibers touch the ss screen. The replacement wicks should be available in the shopping mall hardware store or elseware. I think the wicks are 3/8 in diameter maybe 1/2. Oops might have one handy to measure.

The threaded stem will be in the hardware store also(with nuts) Drill a 1/16 hole in the stem just below the nut on the inside of fuel storage container. That will vent any pressure that would try to build up inside.

I had a 50/50 chance of getting the sunrise/sunset photo right :D

Are you one of the demo chocolate decorators or tour guide/pr person? Interesting and tasty place to work ;)

Do you do alot of biking to and from where ever you go? How did you get interested in lightweight stoves and stove making?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15821
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Starlish(1st Burn)

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:43 pm

Here is aphoto of a 1 inch length of the threaded lamp part that I was talking about. I inserted it into a 1/2 inch hole in .007 SS flat stock. I inserted some 1/2 inch diameter stove gasket fiberglass to show how it will look. The threaded tube is 3/8" O.D. I'll make a stove with it someday. (Maybe second week of July.) I need to make a 4th of July stove this week. That was a reminder to all :D

Image
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
seudo_411
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:32 pm
Location: South Africa
Contact:

Re: Starlish(1st Burn)

Postby seudo_411 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:57 pm

zelph wrote:Use "Tiki" torch replacement wicks for the fuel absorbing material. Cut the wick in pieces so that they stand verticle inside your burner. You want the fibers to be virticle to bring the fuel to the surface of the burner so the fibers touch the ss screen. The replacement wicks should be available in the shopping mall hardware store or elseware. I think the wicks are 3/8 in diameter maybe 1/2. Oops might have one handy to measure.

The threaded stem will be in the hardware store also(with nuts) Drill a 1/16 hole in the stem just below the nut on the inside of fuel storage container. That will vent any pressure that would try to build up inside.

I had a 50/50 chance of getting the sunrise/sunset photo right :D

Are you one of the demo chocolate decorators or tour guide/pr person? Interesting and tasty place to work ;)

Do you do alot of biking to and from where ever you go? How did you get interested in lightweight stoves and stove making?


For the wick I am cosidering using the fiber glass cloth thats been cut to the correct length and then rolling it up into a cylinder to fit inside the metal tube. See picture below.
Image

The Capsule consists of 3 parts, it has the fuel container(Approx. 300cc in volume), then the burner cup and stem, with the fiber glass core. this part screws into the fuel container. and lastly it has a lid that screws on as well I guess this makes it about as compact as i would like it to be, for a pot stand i'm considering Zelph's stand from the older Starlytes, the one thats cut from sheet metal. with all the holes, this can then simply wrap around the stove for storage.

Lastly Zelph, In summer I cycle around for about two hours each afternoon after work, Or I walk from my house to work its about 3km. But in general yes i do a lot of cycling...Which is what got me started on the MYOG mission. oh that and Google has lots of interesting things. But I am pyrotechnical by nature. I sell chocolate on weekends and do occasional demos(In hand made chocolate.)

Does anybody have a MSR Pocket Rocket... Or at least very close up pictures of the stove. I recently came across an old friend who is a chef and he showed me a small 8g cannister of N2O yes Nitrous Oxide. So I'm thinking hmmm :idea: Take one Pocket Rocket + A Brunton cannister stove stand + a Brass Y split and + mix that with 8grms of N2O and you have one killer stove that could work on the MOON (well in theory) :ugeek: .

Oh yes and one last thing I live In front, Behind and Opposite Mountains they are never too far away...

Image

The red dot is where I am.

EDIT: Thanks for the post Zelph, it is exactly what i had in mind... in terms of pressure relief i'll be putting a small piece of metal tubing down the side that vents the vapor into the flame...
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Starlish(1st Burn)

Postby DarenN » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:46 pm

MSR Pocket Rocket.

Image

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15821
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Starlish(1st Burn)

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:41 pm

Someday I'm going to get one of those and modify it. :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Starlish(1st Burn)

Postby DarenN » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:44 pm

zelph wrote:Someday I'm going to get one of those and modify it. :lol:


yeah, it's a nice little stove. burns hot, fast, and clean. one of the lightest commercial ones at 3oz, but still way heavier than our DIY alcohol stuff. then there's the enviromental impact of the non-recycle-able canisters. it's also loud, like all such burners.

noise:
a kayaking friend who had never used a Trangia outfit agreed to leave his white-gas stove at home one weekend, and just use my Trangia stuff. one afternoon we harvested a bucket of oysters, breaded and fried them on the two Trangia kits i had. afterwards he said the experience was almost religious. like an epiphany. we cooked and ate oysters and crab for over an hour, chatting the whole time without having to shout over the roar of an MSR Dragonfly (one of the loudest).

silence is golden!

Rev. Daren,
of the Church of Trangia. ;)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15821
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Starlish(1st Burn)

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:30 pm

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:Someday I'm going to get one of those and modify it. :lol:


yeah, it's a nice little stove. burns hot, fast, and clean. one of the lightest commercial ones at 3oz, but still way heavier than our DIY alcohol stuff. then there's the enviromental impact of the non-recycle-able canisters. it's also loud, like all such burners.

noise:
a kayaking friend who had never used a Trangia outfit agreed to leave his white-gas stove at home one weekend, and just use my Trangia stuff. one afternoon we harvested a bucket of oysters, breaded and fried them on the two Trangia kits i had. afterwards he said the experience was almost religious. like an epiphany. we cooked and ate oysters and crab for over an hour, chatting the whole time without having to shout over the roar of an MSR Dragonfly (one of the loudest).

silence is golden!

Rev. Daren,
of the Church of Trangia. ;)


That's Classic stuff Rev. Daren. How true, silence is golden. What is your most quiet canister stove? Oops and anyone else that have a few canister give us your opinion. I'll transfer the info to a new thread if it gets too long.

Tony, what part of the stove is making all the noise?

Almost forgot, HOLY MOLY!!!! NITROUS OXIDE!!!!!! WE BE COOKIN NOW. :mrgreen: HE'S GOT THE MAKINS OF A 4TH OF jULY STOVE. :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/


Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests