Starlish(1st Burn)

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DarenN

Re: Starlish(1st Burn)

Postby DarenN » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:47 pm

i can't say which is the quietest canister stove as i only have a couple to choose from. the P.R. is quieter than the Trangia Iso-bu burner.

the quietest white-gas burner i have is the Optimus Nova. smallest too. but an oz and a bit heavier than the Dragonfly. they both simmer nicely, but so does the Himalaya from Primus, (packs big, and just as loud as the msr stoves). all are multi-fuel, but only the Nova does not require an jet change.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:37 am

Almost forgot, HOLY MOLY!!!! NITROUS OXIDE!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: In college days, I think they called those CO2 cartridges, "Whippets" . I seem to remember them being used for a whip cream dispenser in the dairy dept. Called it laughing gas :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:03 am

Ridgerunner wrote:In college days, I think they called those CO2 cartridges, "Whippets" . I seem to remember them being used for a whip cream dispenser in the dairy dept. Called it laughing gas

Thats exactly where I saw them, they're expensive and heavy though...

Thanks DarreN for the Picture, I was shopping around for the best price and found that MSR Sells them for about $40.00 and I can Buy it for $37.00, Funny though that I can buy it for less than MSR is actually selling it. But I'm most definitely buying a PR, As well as a Bruton stove stand, makes it a remote cannister stove, :D .

The Trangia is expensive though it cost almost 100 to 150% more here than what you guys would pay for it, Ultra light hiking is not very popular here.

zelph wrote:then there's the enviromental impact of the non-recycle-able canisters.

Has anyone tried to refill a Canister, Might be worth looking into. I was browsing a few paintball sites recently, and came across a HPA bottle that is rated up to 4500psi, Coupled with a micro regulator, It could possibly mean a refillable propane only stove, no more gimmicks about iso-propane canisters...

Zelph, MSR owes you money... They stole your idea :twisted: , the MSR Reactor is the commercial embodiment of the Turbolized Pot stand...
Radiant burner my *ss its a sink strainer....

I've always wondered why Companies like the MSR Corp doesn't ask proper hikers you know people who actually care if the gimmicks work to test there products, not just burn it in a lab but proper field testing... With wind, snow, rain, and clumsy camp mates... For about 75% of the MSR staff the closest they get to nature is the salad section at the supermarket. :roll: Ok enough ranting, Going to go and call the shop to find out if they still have a PR...

I'm out

Seudo_411
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:39 am

The Trangia is expensive though it cost almost 100 to 150% more here than what you guys would pay for it, Ultra light hiking is not very popular here.

Save yourself some $$$$ and keep an eye on ebay! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:27 am

seudo_411 wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:In college days, I think they called those CO2 cartridges, "Whippets" . I seem to remember them being used for a whip cream dispenser in the dairy dept. Called it laughing gas

Thats exactly where I saw them, they're expensive and heavy though...

CO2 is carbon dioxide, the stuff that puts bubbles into water/beer :)

Nitrous Oxide is what the Super Dragsters are injecting as they fly down the drag strips. I'm not sure if dentists are still using it to calm down overly needle parnoid patients. seudo, check with your chef friend to see for sure if it's Nitrous Oxide.

The whippets I used to hold them in my hand, arm cocked to throw it while my brother punctured it. Once punctured I would throw it high up into the clear blue sky and watch it tumble every which way in large archs and then straighten out and disappear. I lived in Chicago at the time and had to find something adventurous to do. 8-) I will erase this paragraph in a day or two for my own protection. Can't let my kids get hold of this kind of history. :lol:

Thanks Daren for the info on the quietness of your stoves.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:45 am

zelph wrote:Nitrous Oxide is what the Super Dragsters are injecting as they fly down the drag strips. I'm not sure if dentists are still using it to calm down overly needle parnoid patients. seudo, check with your chef friend to see for sure if it's Nitrous Oxide.

The whippets I used to hold them in my hand, arm cocked to throw it while my brother punctured it. Once punctured I would throw it high up into the clear blue sky and watch it tumble every which way in large archs and then straighten out and disappear. I lived in Chicago at the time and had to find something adventurous to do. 8-) I will erase this paragraph in a day or two for my own protection. Can't let my kids get hold of this kind of history. :lol:

The gas is Nitrous Oxide, a.k.a Laughing Gas, NOS etc. It is the food grade one, used for whipping cream, and my chef friend confirmed that it is laughing gas, the cream was finished and there was gas left so he inhaled some of it... :? for scientific reasons of course :roll: .... Oh and its not just Super Dragsters any more i've seen an MK1 VW citi Golf with a 2.0litre turbo charged Nos fed semi street legal engine... So much for going green. :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:53 am

seudo_411 wrote:[

The gas is Nitrous Oxide, a.k.a Laughing Gas, NOS etc. It is the food grade one, used for whipping cream, and my chef friend confirmed that it is laughing gas, the cream was finished and there was gas left so he inhaled some of it... :? for scientific reasons of course :roll: .... Oh and its not just Super Dragsters any more i've seen an MK1 VW citi Golf with a 2.0litre turbo charged Nos fed semi street legal engine... So much for going green. :mrgreen:[/quote]

Whoa!!!! that's great!!!!! that gives rise to some new, faster cooking times for the JET Boil type stoves.

Tell your friend to shoot a jet of it down toward the stove in his kitchen just as one of his co-workers is passing by :twisted:

Where can I purchase a case of these little power capsules???? :ugeek:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:00 pm

zelph wrote:Where can I purchase a case of these little power capsules???? :ugeek:

I'm not exactly sure ask around at the local restaurants, Here is a Wiki link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipped-cream_charger

The gas itself is not flammable all it does is make the stoves flame flare slightly nothing really special, What could work very well is if its blended before ignition.

Tony

Postby Tony » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:07 pm

Tony, what part of the stove is making all the noise?

I am not quite sure but from the testing of my myog canister stoves the high pressure burning gas coming out of the burner holes is what I think makes the sound.

With the MSR Dragonfly (we call them conversation busters) I think it is the fuel pulsating in the fuel line as it is being heated up, this causes the flame to pulse at a very high frequency and causes a lot of noise. I have had this on some of my liquid feed canister stoves and it is very hard to stop.

I quite like the whispering sound of a canister stove on a quiet night in the bush, I find it reassuring.

Tony

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:45 pm

Tony wrote:
Tony, what part of the stove is making all the noise?

I am not quite sure but from the testing of my myog canister stoves the high pressure burning gas coming out of the burner holes is what I think makes the sound.

With the MSR Dragonfly (we call them conversation busters) I think it is the fuel pulsating in the fuel line as it is being heated up, this causes the flame to pulse at a very high frequency and causes a lot of noise. I have had this on some of my liquid feed canister stoves and it is very hard to stop.

I quite like the whispering sound of a canister stove on a quiet night in the bush, I find it reassuring.

Tony

If you have resonance occurring in your fuel line, it could be potentially dangerous, My uncle and i were discussing Car carburetors once and he says if the the resonance is at the "correct" frequency it causes the fuel to froth up and that can damage your engine, I'm not sure if your fuel behaves differently to Petrol or if it is simply not an issue, (as stoves are pretty simple compared to engines) Bottom line is that if you disrupt or rather alter the flow of the fuel, it eliminates or reduces the resonance. A good example is the mesh that is put on certain taps, take note of how it alters the flow...

P.S: Tony do you make your own cannister stoves?

Seudo_411

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”