Starlish(1st Burn)

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Tony

Re: Starlish(1st Burn)

Postby Tony » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi Seudo_411,

If you have resonance occurring in your fuel line, it could be potentially dangerous, My uncle and i were discussing Car carburetors once and he says if the the resonance is at the "correct" frequency it causes the fuel to froth up and that can damage your engine, I'm not sure if your fuel behaves differently to Petrol or if it is simply not an issue, (as stoves are pretty simple compared to engines) Bottom line is that if you disrupt or rather alter the flow of the fuel, it eliminates or reduces the resonance. A good example is the mesh that is put on certain taps, take note of how it alters the flow...

I do not think the resonance is a problem in bp stoves, I have not seen any problems other than noise which is very annoying.

P.S: Tony do you make your own cannister stoves?

Yes, these are some of them, I hope to have them all together on my own site soon
http://bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=933
http://bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=515
http://bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=402

Tony

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:30 am

Tony you are a Canister stove God... The "Low profile canister stove" is truly remarkable it is what i've been looking for... If you decide to sell it i'll be first in line... I was going to sort of compose my own remote cannister stove by combining a MSR Pocket Rocket and the Brunton Canister Stove Stand.
ImageImage

One thing I did notice though was that the gas line and preheat tube are not glued or welded together in any way, Or are my eyes just untrained to spot the workings of a pro stovie, But all I can say for sure is that is beautiful indeed, simple elegance really and that tube that houses the jet is just begging for a second nitrous oxide jet ;) ....

Seudo_411
Last edited by seudo_411 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:42 am

the Pocket Rocket weighs 3 ounces.

the Brunton stand weighs 5.4 ounces.

hey; i'm just sayin' ! ;)

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:22 pm

DarenN wrote:the Pocket Rocket weighs 3 ounces.

the Brunton stand weighs 5.4 ounces.

hey; i'm just sayin' ! ;)

Daren......

That is true, but thats nothing a little tinkering can't cure i mean who really needs pot supports and stabilizing legs, when you can mount it all on custom aluminum leg stands... Any suggestions from anyone on a light weight remote canister stove let me know... Tony has a real beauty, so close yet so far...

Tony

Postby Tony » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:25 pm

Hi seudo+411,

One thing I did notice though was that the gas line and preheat tube are not glued or welded together in any way,

You did notice correct, the fuel line that I use is hight temperature rated and can hold 500psi just pushed on to he correct size barb, but the actual stove that I will use will have Stainless Steel braid over the line and clamps at the end.

I was going to sort of compose my own remote cannister stove by combining a MSR Pocket Rocket and the Brunton Canister Stove Stand.

If you have not already read it Backpackinglight.com has a very good article on converting the above setup to liquid gas.

If you decide to sell it i'll be first in line

I wish could make some stoves for sale but as they are considered a gas appliance I would have to get gov approval and that cost a lot of money (up to $10000 is Aus) more than I could afford. The stoves take a long time to make so I would have to charge a lot of money for them ($1500 and could not compete with the big companies, I refuse to work for $2 an hour. Stove making and designing is my hobbie and for now I will have to keep it that way.

Tony

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Tony wrote:You did notice correct, the fuel line that I use is hight temperature rated and can hold 500psi just pushed on to he correct size barb, but the actual stove that I will use will have Stainless Steel braid over the line and clamps at the end.

Are you using macro line tubing? :?:

Tony wrote:If you have not already read it Backpackinglight.com has a very good article on converting the above setup to liquid gas.

I read parts of it, but at one point i was asked to buy the article, Hmmm but i would love to know more about the winter conversion. :geek:

Tony wrote:I wish could make some stoves for sale but as they are considered a gas appliance I would have to get gov approval and that cost a lot of money (up to $10000 is Aus) more than I could afford. The stoves take a long time to make so I would have to charge a lot of money for them ($1500 and could not compete with the big companies, I refuse to work for $2 an hour. Stove making and designing is my hobbie and for now I will have to keep it that way.

I understand what you are saying, And it is just not practical to pay that much, i paid slightly more for my laptop,but hey it doesn't have to be a gas apliance, it could simply be parts or templates, spares even.... ;)

The SUL stove looks like a T you could make a signature series....

Seudo_411

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:16 pm

If you decide to sell it i'll be first in line

I wish could make some stoves for sale but as they are considered a gas appliance I would have to get gov approval and that cost a lot of money (up to $10000 is Aus) more than I could afford. The stoves take a long time to make so I would have to charge a lot of money for them ($1500 and could not compete with the big companies, I refuse to work for $2 an hour. Stove making and designing is my hobbie and for now I will have to keep it that way.

Tony[/quote]

hi Tony;
another option might be to draw up the schematics for the little horizontal burner. you could just sell the plans to home builders, (like myself), who have access to machine shop tools. draw them up as a PDF and you wouldn't even have to ship anything. just wait till you recieve payment, then email the PDF. copywrited, of course.
Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:23 am

DarenN wrote:hi Tony;
another option might be to draw up the schematics for the little horizontal burner. you could just sell the plans to home builders, (like myself), who have access to machine shop tools. draw them up as a PDF and you wouldn't even have to ship anything. just wait till you recieve payment, then email the PDF. copywrited, of course.
Daren......

Thats a really good idea DarreN, the PDF might be quite large to mail though... :?:

Tony I have 5 questions for you,
1.) What temperatures does the the burner itself reach, when in use?
2.) What is the pressure inside a full canister of 80/20 Iso-pro?
3.) Is there a fixed relationship between the rate of fuel consumption and the decrease in temperature and pressure.
4.) How do you determine the jet size and porting, to attain the correct fuel/air ratio?
5.) Is there a difference in the jetting of vapor feed vs. Liquid feed stoves.

Seudo_411

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:04 am

I agree also about the pdf Tony. :)

Those are 5 good questions 411 :)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:33 pm

I did a second burn on the Starlish, Out side temperature was 9degrees C according to the car that was parked in the garage, No pictures though, but the stove performed very touch and go, it started off well stable burn but it dropped very low and never came up again, so I killed it and refueled with a second 30ml dose of pure 90% ethanol , opposed to the initial 40/60 blend of ethanol and methylated spirits, And it burned much better that before, I suspect the ethanol vaporizes more readily than methylated spirits or the blend. Further upgrades include replacing the brass heat transfer ring, with a lighter copper wire system.Will also give green flames. :mrgreen:
EDIT:

I have upgraded the Starlish burner, it now has a sink strainer inside and no more mesh, Burn results will follow soon. But for now here are some pics...

ImageImageImage

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”