Compact Trangia Potstand

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DarenN

Compact Trangia Potstand

Postby DarenN » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:38 pm

i saw a Trangia knock-off stove called a Tatonka and thought the potstand had merit.

this is what i came up with:

the potstand arms are aluminum. the burner support ring is stainless. weighs 1.6oz.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Re: Compact Trangia Potstand

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:45 pm

Excellent Daren. Nice craftsmanship. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Nice job i wish i still was working i could do that in the machine also.Nope take all back no boss to crack the whip its got to be done before you go home we got to have it now no brakes. How much longer.I love just being my own boss not much gets done :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cause Zelph on vacation does that mean we be should too
Man play with fire man get burnt

russb

Postby russb » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:37 pm

Nice!

Tatonka? Wasn't that the Lakota word for Buffalo? Of course this is based on my memory of the Costner movie "Dances with Wolves".

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:44 pm

russb wrote:Nice!

Tatonka? Wasn't that the Lakota word for Buffalo? Of course this is based on my memory of the Costner movie "Dances with Wolves".

that is my memory too. :lol:

the Tatonka stove could be considered a buffalo. the same size as the Trangia, but 4oz capacity, and all S/S construction. i've got one ordered and will let you know how big of a mule it will take to carry it. ;)

Daren.......

Tony

Postby Tony » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:08 pm

Hi Daren,

Great workmanship, now for a nice windscreen.

have you had much to do with sheet metal working Titanium and if so have you done any welding with it.

Tony

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:04 pm

hi Tony;
some years ago i had the opertunity to mess around with some (IIRC) .024 Ti. welding it with Tig was a breeze. it accepts the same gas, tungsten, and machine setups as Stainless. what was really interesting was that i could weld the .024 Ti at the same amperage as i normally welded .062 S/S. Ti is very heat tolerant.
Daren.......

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:03 pm

day off today.
i spent the day messing around with this Trangia stand, focussing on potstand hieghts and fuel required to boil two cups of water.

remember that i'm using Methyl Hydrate which has a BTU potential about 30% less than denatured alcohol.

my original testing had a potstand hieght of 1.25" from the top of the burner to the bottom of the pot. average over three test boils.
20ml fuel.
boil 5:30
out 6:30

i lowered the potstand to 3/4". boil times were too slow.

i raised the potstand to 1" from the very top rim of the burner to the bottom of the pot, and did a whole bunch of tests at that hieght. i also shortenned the top arms (were the pot sits on) so that the pot would have to be more than three inches in diameter. my thinking here was that because aluminum transfers heat so well i was just putting heat back into the burner with the potstand arms in the fire.

standard kitchen conditions.
5" aluminum pot with lid.
2cups water.
1" burner to pot.

18ml fuel-
boil - 5:30
out - 6:30

17ml fuel-
boil - 5:15
out - 5:50

16ml fuel-
boil - 5:00
out - 5:45

15ml fuel-
boil - just barely
out - 5:30

14ml fuel-
no boil

it seems that there is a point of diminishing returns that is directly related to potstand hieght and amount of fuel in the burner. a potstand that is too low slows the rate of combustion so that the fuel can't do it's job. too high and you get too fast a burn that does not use the fuel to it's full potential. think of it like a damper on a wood stove. if the pot is too close to the burner, it cuts off combustion air to the burner, causing a slow burn. too high and you get too fast a burn that is not useing the full potential of the fuel. if you can nail down the potstand hieght for a particular burner the fuel useage should follow suit. the trick then is to design a burner that is as efficient as it can be, and adjust the potstand to match it.

Daren.....

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:08 am

DarenN wrote:day off today.
i spent the day messing around with this Trangia stand, focussing on potstand hieghts and fuel required to boil two cups of water.

remember that i'm using Methyl Hydrate which has a BTU potential about 30% less than denatured alcohol.

my original testing had a potstand hieght of 1.25" from the top of the burner to the bottom of the pot. average over three test boils.
20ml fuel.
boil 5:30
out 6:30

i lowered the potstand to 3/4". boil times were too slow.

i raised the potstand to 1" from the very top rim of the burner to the bottom of the pot, and did a whole bunch of tests at that hieght. i also shortenned the top arms (were the pot sits on) so that the pot would have to be more than three inches in diameter. my thinking here was that because aluminum transfers heat so well i was just putting heat back into the burner with the potstand arms in the fire.

standard kitchen conditions.
5" aluminum pot with lid.
2cups water.
1" burner to pot.

18ml fuel-
boil - 5:30
out - 6:30

17ml fuel-
boil - 5:15
out - 5:50

16ml fuel-
boil - 5:00
out - 5:45

15ml fuel-
boil - just barely
out - 5:30

14ml fuel-
no boil

it seems that there is a point of diminishing returns that is directly related to potstand hieght and amount of fuel in the burner. a potstand that is too low slows the rate of combustion so that the fuel can't do it's job. too high and you get too fast a burn that does not use the fuel to it's full potential. think of it like a damper on a wood stove. if the pot is too close to the burner, it cuts off combustion air to the burner, causing a slow burn. too high and you get too fast a burn that is not useing the full potential of the fuel. if you can nail down the potstand hieght for a particular burner the fuel useage should follow suit. the trick then is to design a burner that is as efficient as it can be, and adjust the potstand to match it.

Daren.....

Yep thats how it done to find the sweet spot i find on denatured alcohol S L X its 7/8 in.
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:42 am

Why do you suppose that the boil times differed with the different amounts of fuel used? If you used one ounce would the boil time take longer ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”