Compact Trangia Potstand

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DarenN

Re: Compact Trangia Potstand

Postby DarenN » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:52 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Why do you suppose that the boil times differed with the different amounts of fuel used? If you used one ounce would the boil time take longer ?

i'm not sure, but i'd venture a guess that the lower volume of fuel heats to it's boiling point quicker.

hhmmmm,,,,, never thought to try larger quantities of fuel. i'll let you now what i find out later. ;)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:25 am

ok Ridgerunner, i did three test boils using 1oz of fuel.
average:
boil - 5:40
out - 10:10

then i thought to try the far end of the scale. i loaded the burner to capacity with 3oz of fuel, weighed it, boiled 2cups of water(in 6:10), put it out, and weighed it again and found a difference of 15grams. i then used the scale to find that 15g equals 21ml. from previous testing i know that this burner will easily boil 2c on 16ml. this leads me to the assumption that it is not economical to use the burner to store fuel.

Daren.......

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:22 pm

this leads me to the assumption that it is not economical to use the burner to store fuel.
Would the same hold true for the Trangia ?

I just finished reading White Blaze Fever. Excellent book ! Ol' "Mountain Slayer" used an esbit stove with solid fuel tablets the entire AT trip. I wonder what the practicality of using fuel tablets over alcohol to just boil water :?: You don't have to worry about spillage or leakage. I don't know how many he carried at a time but he did try to minimize postal drops and take advantage of eateries along the trail. I don't think he took more than 3 to 5 days worth of rations at a time but may have carried more fuel tabs to get him to his next postal drop. Alot of planning has to go into a long hike of that nature. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:13 pm

check the thread title. it is the Trangia we're talking about.

i can't comment on Esbit stoves as i've never used one.

Daren.......

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:01 pm

(same pic as the first post in this thread. re-posted for reference.)

the legs of the potstand are on a 6" outer diameter. i thought to make it smaller and bent up a set of legs to make a 5" diameter. bad idea!! :o it would stand up on it's own but as soon as i put a pot of water on it, splash!!, it collapsed.
well, the floor needed a wash anyway. ;) at least it wasn't burning! :D

Daren........

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:47 pm

check the thread title. it is the Trangia we're talking about.
:oops: :oops: :oops: I lost track, I was thinking about your new stainless Tatonka Stove.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:14 am

a slight modification to the leg geometry, and the stand will now accept the Trangia canister burner.

i'm led to believe that because this burner has an evaporater tube that it will run as a liquid burner (canister inverted). does anyone know if this is true?

Daren........

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:57 pm

a slight modification to the leg geometry, and the stand will now accept the Trangia canister burner
I did not know Trangia had a cannister burner. The burner fits nicely in your stand. Now the stand will hold the alcohol burner and the cannister burner? Multi-functional----- Sweeeeet ! ;)

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:43 pm

not only do they have a canister burner, there is also a white gas burner based on the Optimus Nova multi fuel burner. the Nova is one of the best W/G burners i've had the pleasure of messing around with.

Daren......

samh

Postby samh » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:58 pm

DarenN wrote:Image

What's the weight on this, Daren?

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”