8.8 gram Remote Canister Stove (SUUL) stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Tony

8.8 gram Remote Canister Stove (SUUL) stove

Post by Tony » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:31 pm

This is my latest stove it is called SUUL stove (Super Ultra Ultra Light) its total weight is 8.8 grams and that includes burner, pot stand, fuel line and control valve.

This stove has only been designed to support a small pot of a volume of around 500ml.

Pot stand 2.1355g
Burner 1.9739g
Pre-heat tube and jet 0.5825g
Valve 3.7737g
Fuel line 0.3105g
Total weight 8.7751g

This stove has been an exercise in how light I can make a remote canister liquid feed stove, pot stand and valve, I was hoping to get the total under 8g but the valve turned out at a disappointingly heavy 3.8g, I am worried if I go much lighter that I will go below an accepted level of safety.

Every part on this stove has been home made.
The burner tube is made from aluminium with a Ti burner plate.
The pre-heat tube is made from 1mm SS tube and brazed to a small brass fitting that screws into the base burner.
The jet is made of brass and weighs only 0.045g.
The valve is made from a solid piece of aluminium, it has a Ti needle valve with a Beryllium copper handle, the fuel line is connected to a 1mm SS tube pressed into the Valve body, the lindal valve is depressed by a Ti pin.
The fuel line is high temperature resistance PTFE clamped on with small brass ferrules.
The Burner is supported on a piece of aluminium cut out from a cat food can.

I was hoping to add a windscreen and keep the total weight below 10g but I am still 0.2g heavy.

The stove has only been tested in the workshop, I have used it to make several cups of tea. It has been a learning experience and I will now start to make a stove which can be used with larger pots and Coleman Max canisters which I hoping to use it as my main stove.

Tony

Top view
side view
valve body
Burner head
canister on valve
flame under pot

Skidsteer

Re: 8.8 gram Remote Canister Stove (SUUL) stove

Post by Skidsteer » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:15 pm

Wow.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:17 pm

BRILLIANT!!!
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

russb

Post by russb » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:41 pm

too cool!

When do they go on sale? :D

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:13 pm

Tony, you always amaze us. Another awesome creation ! Great Job !
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

samh

Post by samh » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:47 pm

I was just viewing and posting over at BPL and having read a post by a certain fellow named Tony about an amazing stove he'd built I thought to myself I should really let the folks over at bplite.com know about this because they know stoves and will appreciate this.

I see, having come over here that you're already a member and have posted this damn fine work of science/art already. Your work with canister stoves really gives me hope for the future of this type of stove. An inverted canister stove is the type I want to start using for my winter trips but all the manufactured versions are still too heavy. I look forward to your innovation either spawning a cottage stove industry or eventually changing the lawsuit-worried major manufacturers opinion of light yet safe stoves.

Tony

Post by Tony » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks for all of the great comments.

Hi Sam and russb,
I was just viewing and posting over at BPL and having read a post by a certain fellow named Tony about an amazing stove he'd built I thought to myself I should really let the folks over at bplite.com know about this because they know stoves and will appreciate this.

I see, having come over here that you're already a member and have posted this damn fine work of science/art already. Your work with canister stoves really gives me hope for the future of this type of stove. An inverted canister stove is the type I want to start using for my winter trips but all the manufactured versions are still too heavy. I look forward to your innovation either spawning a cottage stove industry or eventually changing the lawsuit-worried major manufacturers opinion of light yet safe stoves.
I look at bplite.com as mainly a group of bpler's who like to talk about bp stoves, I have learned a lot since I joined. I consider the bplite forum community as my friends.

Thanks for you comments about my stoves. I would love to be able to make my stoves for sale, I have looked into it and it is too costly to do, canister stoves are considered gas appliances and need to be approved by relevant government authorities and in Australia alone it can cost between A$2000-A$10000 and like when the JetBoil was approved here it can take 2 years, unfortunately the lawyers have me frightened too and after some recent major flame outs in my workshop I can understand why. It will not be until someone starts to make SUL remote canister for sale that some of the manufacturers will start to make them, I am just proving that it can be done, like the remote JetBoil that I made.

The other problem is that my stoves take a long time to make, I would estimate that the SUUL took me 40+ hours, I know if I finalized a design and made some jigs and made a few stoves at a time I probably could make a complete stove in about 10 hours, I do not expect anyone else to work for slave labor wages and hope that people do not expect me to either. By the time I take into account the cost of materials, tool wear, electricity and labor I would have to charge at least $500 for each stove and I know that is not practical.

All that said if my next stove works out as I am hoping and some people are interested in getting one I might consider offering a special deal like swapping some suitable gear that I want for one.

Tony

samh

Post by samh » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:33 pm

Tony wrote:All that said if my next stove works out as I am hoping and some people are interested in getting one I might consider offering a special deal like swapping some suitable gear that I want for one.
Keep us posted ; )

russb

Post by russb » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:12 pm

I understand completely Tony. They are works of art for sure.

seudo_411

Post by seudo_411 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:38 am

You have out done yourself once again Tony, :D I am really impressed by all the work you do. I do have a question though, have you tried making your own gas canisters yet, or tried refilling some other smaller or lighter canisters, The reason I ask is because i was looking at a Japanese or Chinese well its a far east site on stoves and they have a range of adapters, so i was just wondering if anyone else has tried re-filling a cannister...
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...