8.8 gram Remote Canister Stove (SUUL) stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: 8.8 gram Remote Canister Stove (SUUL) stove

Post by zelph » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:20 pm

Just a quick post here to put you in the direction of the Lost Wax Process as used in modern castings.

http://www.nu-cast.com/aluminum-investm ... t-wax.html

Having a great time on vacation, wish you were all on vacation also :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:05 am

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

seudo_411

Post by seudo_411 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:55 pm

Hey all, I would have loved to reply much earlier,but my girlfriend spent the weekend and she refers to my laptop as HER, so I can't touch it when she is around, I was so surprised when I checked my mail and saw all the postings, I just want to thank everyone who complimented on my stove idea, I have started gathering parts for the new stove.

Tony the holes that are in the SUUL burner surface, how big are they, and do they influence flame velocity and/or flame efficiency, Because as I have mentioned I want to use SS mesh, But I do have a strainer top, with 36 x 3mm holes, Which would end up being the same as one hole with a diameter of 18mm, what I would hate to happen is for the flame to flash back into the burner, Which brings me to my next question which is, Is the distance between the jet and the burner top important or influential it is because i would like to make a very flat stove...

Till later guys...

Seudo_411

EDIT: Did a very crude experiment with a empty cd spindle, I cut a 2.5 cm hole over the shaft that holds the cd's, as well as a slot in the side of the spindle, I placed a 2mm wide tube in the hole, connected a length of rubber tubing, Lit up a smoke, and started blowing smoke into the spindle, as expected the smoke spiraled in a very nice tight cyclone, and exited at the top, in a uniform mass, which was at a very low velocity, It is clear that it will work but aligning the jet to the walls of the stove will be difficult. I'll post a video soon.
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:58 pm

Tony, I saw your post over at backpackinglight. All I have to say is "amazing!" :shock:
Your very fortunate to have your own lathe. I've been running a lot of ideas through my head lately and can't help but yearn for a lathe and a Bridgeport mill!
Of course, I have no idea how I'd get them up the stairs of my apartment building.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:14 pm

EDIT: Did a very crude experiment with a empty cd spindle, I cut a 2.5 cm hole over the shaft that holds the cd's, as well as a slot in the side of the spindle, I placed a 2mm wide tube in the hole, connected a length of rubber tubing, Lit up a smoke, and started blowing smoke into the spindle, as expected the smoke spiraled in a very nice tight cyclone, and exited at the top, in a uniform mass, which was at a very low velocity, It is clear that it will work but aligning the jet to the walls of the stove will be difficult. I'll post a video soon.
Sounds interesting, looking forward to your video :D What causes the smoke to spiral?
and can't help but yearn for a lathe and a Bridgeport mill!
Of course, I have no idea how I'd get them up the stairs of my apartment building.
Buy ther small ones at harbor freight tools :D I'll help you carry them up the stairs. :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

seudo_411

Post by seudo_411 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:53 pm

zelph wrote:Sounds interesting, looking forward to your video :D What causes the smoke to spiral?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke
Wiki wrote:Smoke is the collection of airborne solid and liquid particulates and gases[1] emitted when a material undergoes combustion or pyrolysis, together with the quantity of air that is entrained or otherwise mixed into the mass
Ok So the particles in the smoke because of their mass, once they are put in motion by me blowing it through the tube so when it hits the rounded side of the spindle it keeps moving because of momentum. so instead of simply just dispersing inside the container the particles follow the outside of the container. but now the question is why does the smoke not just keep going around in circles, well the pressure in side the container is higher than the surrounding air so it moves out through the hole in the middle.

but now i have a new dillema how do i shape the flow of the gas stream coming out of the hole, so please anyone that knows anything about this type of stove, or that just has a link to a cyclone stove...

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:04 pm

seudo_411 wrote:
zelph wrote:Sounds interesting, looking forward to your video :D What causes the smoke to spiral?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke
Wiki wrote:Smoke is the collection of airborne solid and liquid particulates and gases[1] emitted when a material undergoes combustion or pyrolysis, together with the quantity of air that is entrained or otherwise mixed into the mass
Ok So the particles in the smoke because of their mass, once they are put in motion by me blowing it through the tube so when it hits the rounded side of the spindle it keeps moving because of momentum. so instead of simply just dispersing inside the container the particles follow the outside of the container. but now the question is why does the smoke not just keep going around in circles, well the pressure in side the container is higher than the surrounding air so it moves out through the hole in the middle.

but now i have a new dillema how do i shape the flow of the gas stream coming out of the hole, so please anyone that knows anything about this type of stove, or that just has a link to a cyclone stove...
one thing to remember is that the spiral effect will work better in one direction, or the other, depending on which side of the equator you are on. sinks and toilets drain in the opposite spiral from the northern hemisphere to southern.

Daren........

seudo_411

Post by seudo_411 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:17 pm

DarenN wrote:
one thing to remember is that the spiral effect will work better in one direction, or the other, depending on which side of the equator you are on. sinks and toilets drain in the opposite spiral from the northern hemisphere to southern.

Daren........
Are you being serious!!! :shock:

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:22 pm

seudo_411 wrote:Are you being serious!!! :shock:
yes. absolutely.

this phenomenon is mentioned in passing in the instructions for this cyclone alcohol stove:

http://zenstoves.net/Cyclone.htm

Daren......

Tony

Post by Tony » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:10 am

Hi suedo_411,
Tony the holes that are in the SUUL burner surface, how big are they, and do they influence flame velocity and/or flame efficiency, Because as I have mentioned I want to use SS mesh, But I do have a strainer top, with 36 x 3mm holes, Which would end up being the same as one hole with a diameter of 18mm, what I would hate to happen is for the flame to flash back into the burner, Which brings me to my next question which is, Is the distance between the jet and the burner top important or influential it is because i would like to make a very flat stove...
Sorry about not replying earlier but I have been very busy

The hole size in the top of a burner are very important, too big and flashback occurs and as I have found out too small the flame velocity is too high and flame lift off occurs too easily. 1.3 mm is mostly what I use and 1.5 mm is the biggest that I have used. I made a stove last weekend that used fine SS mesh at the burner plate it seemed to work ok.
Unfortunately for small bodies of water it is not true. My (work) lab studies this phenomenon and it is called the Coriolis effect or force. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect

I hope this sorts it out
Draining in bathtubs and toilets

A misconception in popular culture is that water in bathtubs or toilets always drains in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere, and in the other direction in the Southern Hemisphere as a consequence of the Coriolis effect. This idea has been perpetuated by several television programs, including an episode of The Simpsons and one of The X-Files.[18] In addition, several science broadcasts and publications (including at least one college-level physics textbook) have made this incorrect statement.[19]

The Rossby number can also tell us about the bathtub. If the length scale of the tub is about L = 1 m, and the water moves towards the drain at about U = 60 cm/s, then the Rossby number is about 6 000. Thus, the bathtub is, in terms of scales, much like a game of catch, and rotation is unlikely to be important.

Some sources that incorrectly attribute draining direction to the Coriolis force also get the direction wrong. If the Coriolis force were the dominant factor, drain vortices would spin counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern.

In reality the Coriolis effect is a few orders of magnitude smaller than various random influences on drain direction, such as the geometry of the container and the direction in which water was initially added to it. Most toilets flush in only one direction, because the toilet water flows into the bowl at an angle.[20] If water shot into the basin from the opposite direction, the water would spin in the opposite direction.[21]

When the water is being drawn towards the drain, the radius of its rotation around the drain decreases, so its rate of rotation increases from the low background level to a noticeable spin in order to conserve its angular momentum (the same effect as ice skaters bringing their arms in to cause them to spin faster). As shown by Ascher Shapiro in a 1961 educational video (Vorticity, Part 1), this effect can indeed reveal the influence of the Coriolis force on drain direction, but only under carefully controlled laboratory conditions. In a large, circular, symmetrical container (ideally over 1m in diameter and conical), still water (whose motion is so little that over the course of a day, displacements are small compared to the size of the container) escaping through a very small hole, will drain in a cyclonic fashion: counterclockwise in the Northern hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern hemisphere—the same direction as the Earth rotates with respect to the corresponding pole.
Tony