Water powered stove?

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
dlarson
Site Admin

Water powered stove?

Post by dlarson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:01 pm

I have this wild idea so I'm just throwing it out there- Water powered stove.
Has anyone thought about that before?

If you believe in Stanley Myers work, it's possible to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen using low current electrolysis.
I wonder if this would be a feasible idea for hiking/camping. A miniature battery powered electrolysis chamber to make the hydrogen and some sort of burner attached to it. All you'd have to do is add some filtered water, turn it on, and start cooking. You'd never have to worry about fuel again!
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

DarenN

Re: Water powered stove?

Post by DarenN » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:08 pm

Oh Great! another scientist!! ;)

Tony, you and Dlarson need to go have a beer together, then come back and tell us about all the neat stuff the two of you came up with. :mrgreen:

if only this idea could made to work for, lets say, cars........

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:36 pm

DarenN wrote:Oh Great! another scientist!! ;)
Thanks for the compliment Daren! Sadly, I'm just another crackpot since I have no formal scientific training. ;)
I'd like to see it work for cars too. In fact, that was the spark that got me thinking about other uses.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:49 pm

I can be done but the battery be to big. [electroysis ] in small jar tube out to a burner. I got one made up to take rust off my stoves as its working you can smell the gas coming out of the water.
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:03 pm

Nice idea but it's too good to be true for stove use. The gas would have to compressed into liquid and tiny amounts used if possible. I think the gas is extremly explosive, hard to control. That type of situation last I heard.

Carbide gas bubbles just go ploop plooop when they burn :mrgreen:

Tony could probably make it work :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:50 am

oops56 wrote:I can be done but the battery be to big. [electroysis ] in small jar tube out to a burner. I got one made up to take rust off my stoves as its working you can smell the gas coming out of the water.
Oops, That was one of my concerns. Stanley Myers claimed to do it with milliamps, much less than the 10 or 20 amps I've seen used with regular electrolysis.
Part of his method was a pulsing signal (square wave, 50% duty cycle) somewhere between 9 KHz and 143,762 KHz. However, I believe the process is still started with a 10 amp surge and then turned down to 0.5 amps. I can't think of any way to do that with a small battery... :?:
zelph wrote:Nice idea but it's too good to be true for stove use. The gas would have to compressed into liquid and tiny amounts used if possible. I think the gas is extremly explosive, hard to control. That type of situation last I heard.
Zelph, I was wondering about that. I watched a video about a guy who was having trouble with flashback and his electrolysis chamber actually exploded. But I've also seen cars with these devices hooked up to them so there must be some way to control the gas. This guy made a water powered torch. Of course, his torch will burn through just about anything in no time so I have to wonder if a hydrogen stove would just burn right through a titanium pot. :lol:
oh noes!!! hydrogens haev stoeled my dinner!!!11! :o

Well, it'd be nice but it sounds like this is a no-go. Maybe some time in the future...

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:40 pm

oops56 wrote:I got one made up to take rust off my stoves as its working you can smell the gas coming out of the water.
Oops, how does rust removal from stoves work with electrolysis? I'd love to know.
Is the stove one of the electrodes?

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:41 pm

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/