Ultimate Alcohol Stove 11-17-2005

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Ultimate Alcohol Stove 11-17-2005

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:53 pm

After making and using several types of burners, I have ultimately chosen an Open Flame type. The open flame type seems to be very versitle.

The most recent one that I have created burns both liquid and solid fuels.

Isopropyl 91%, Isopropyl 70%, Methyl, “Sterno” wick fuel for chaffing applications, lighter fluid “Zippo” type(Naptha),HEET gas additive, Methanol, Aviation fuel, Model airplane fuel, 100% parafin oil for oil lamps, Purell hand sanitiser, Gelled alcohol (chaffing) , Esbit tabs, Trioxane, Hexamine, etc.

BURNER consists of a cast aluminum wick holder and fiberglass wick. The wick is completely encased in a seemless nickle alloy mesh that gets red hot when fuel is burning and aids in the cumbustion process and adds to fuel efficiency. It weighs 38 grams.

Notice there are photos that have been lost temporarily because of computer crashes that have occured at my house. As soon as I find the disc that they were captured on, I'll post.(8/6/07).

The windbreak/pot stand is made of .005 tempered aluminum that has been anodized and corrugated. The corrugations really make a big difference in it’s strength. The 2 piece cross grid is 1/16 anodized aluminum. Total weight of the 3 pieces is 26 grams.

Total weight of stove is 64 grams. = 2.25 ounces

That equals light weight and compact. It fits nicely into my stainless steel mug that has has a twist lock top that holds everything nicely inside of it.(SEE PICTURE)

The stove will heat 2 cups of 46 degree water, at 46 degree air temp, in 5 min. with 25 ml of HEET gas additive.

Last night I boiled 2 cups of 32 degree water, at 30 degree air temp in 9 ½ min. using 91% Isopropyl alcohol. I used the simmer ring to reduce flame size and amount of soot. 91% burns aggressively at that temp. and ignites easily. 70% ignites slowly and only produces a 4 inch flame and kind of weak looking. 91% Iso produces a yellow/orange flame just like that of a candle. So its great for producing light. (See the picture below.)

The two rings are for simmering. One of them is for the 91% to knock the flame down to get a 6 min. boil with the least amoun of soot.

The smaller of the two bottles is liquid dish soap for the bottom of the pot before the soot gets to it for ease of removal.

The windscreen curls around the inside of the mug. Because it's tempered it springs back quite nicely.

The photos show ISO 91% with and without a simmer ring. Other fuels will have smaller flames. The flames really flikker nice, like a campfire.

Here are some boil times using the” MEGAWICK” stove. I gave it a name today, does it fit the description of the wick?

The heating of the water was done in one of the two pots shown in one of the above photos.

The smaller pot was used for 2 c. of water. It holds 3 c. and is 5 ½ inches in diameter.

The larger pot was used for 3 c. and 4 c.. It hold 8 c. and is also 5 ½ inches in dia..

The temperature of water, and fuel were the same degree because of air temperature outdoors. Test were done in my unheated garage.

Ok, here’s the time it takes to bring water to a boil for different fuels:

ISOPROPYL 70 : 2 c. water at 35 ° - 10 min. mini-boil - 1 oz. fuel
ISOPROPYL 70 : 2 c. at 36 ° - 11 min. boil maintained for 2 min. - 1 oz. fuel
ISOPROPYL 70 : 2 c. at 40 ° - 9 min. boil maintained for 4 ½ min. - 1 oz. fuel
ISOPROPYL 70 : 2 c. at 46 °- 11 ½ min. boil maintained for 5 min. - 1 oz. fuel
ISOPROPYL 70 : 2 c. at 50 ° - 6 ½ min boil maintained for 8 min. - 1 oz. Fuel

ISOPROPYL 91 : 2 c. at 35 ° - 5 ½ min boil maintained for 2 min. - 1 oz. Fuel
ISOPROPYL 91 : 2 c. at 50 ° - 4 ½ min. boil - 1 oz. fuel
ISOPROPYL 91 : 2 c. at 55 ° - 5 min. boil - 1oz. fuel
ISOPROPYL 91 : 2 c. at 55 ° using simmer ring - 12 ½ min. boil - burned for 30 min. 1 oz. Fuel
ISOPROPYL 91 : 3 c. at 50 ° - 5 ½ min. boil maintained for 4 ½ min - 1 oz. fuel
ISOPROPYL 91 : 4 c. at 50 ° - 8 min boil maintained for 3 min. - 1 oz. Fuel

HEET :-------------2 c. at 35 ° - 6 ½ min. boil - 3/4 oz. Fuel
HEET: -------------2 c. at 35 ° - 6 min. boil - 1 oz. Fuel
HEET: -------------2 c. at 50 ° 5 ½ min boil maintained for 4 min. - 35 ml. Fuel
HEET: -------------3 c. at 50 ° - 6 3/4 min. boil maintained for 2 ½ min. - 35 ml. Fuel

CHAFFING fuel 2 c. at 50 ° - 4 1/4 min. boil maintained for 8 min - 1 oz. Fuel
CHAFFING fuel 3 c. at 50 ° 7 ½ min boil maintained for 6 min. - 1 oz. Fuel

DENATURED ALK 2 C. at 50 degrees - 5 min boil maintained for 5 min. - 1 oz. fuel
DENATURED ALK 3 C. at 50 degrees - 6 1/2 min. boil maintained for 2 min. 1 oz. fuel

Dual purpose, my stove cooks and gives off light. When ISO is used with a simmer ring I carry it in my hand to use it as a torch. It stays cool to the touch.

HOW IT WORKS : Just pour your selected fuel onto the wick and light it.

WHY IT WORKS: A large amount of wick surface is exposed to the air (oxygen) in a vertical design allowing large amounts of air to be drawn up and around as the wick burns. The wick is surrounded by a seamless nickle alloy mesh that becomes red hot when the wick is burning and as the fuel passes through it. It provides for a more complete ignition, thereby increasing fuel efficiency.

FUELS TO USE: Denatured alcohol, Isopropyl, Methyl, Methanol, HEET fuel line ice preventer, “STERNO” wick type chafing fuel.

TIME REQUIRED TO BOIL 2 CUPS OF WATER:: 5 min. at 50 degrees :

BURNER DESIGN:: cast aluminum wick holder and NON-CONSUMABLE FIBERGLASS WICK that withstands 1,000 degree temperatures. Weighing 38 grams

WINDBREAK/POT STAND DESIGN:: .005 tempered aluminum that has been anodized and vertically corrugated . The corrugations really make a big difference in it’s strength. The 2 piece cross grid is made of 1/16"anodized aluminum. Total weight of the 3 pieces is 26 grams.>

Total weight of stove is 64 grams. = 2.25 ounces:

2.25 ounces That equals light weight and compact. It fits nicely into a stainless steel mug that has a twist lock top that holds everything nicely in place. There is even space left over for a small container of fuel, spork and matches

This is the perfect stove for those of you that have children in scouting programs. Simple to operate and much safer if the “STERNO” wick type chafing fuel is used.. If accidently spilled this fuel will not ignite, “scouts honor” and so says the Candle Corporation of America, makers of Sterno brand fuels. Interestingly, this type of fuel requires some type of wick in order for it to ignite. The ”MEGAWICK” is the wick that provides that means for ignition.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Re: Ultimate Alcohol Stove 11-17-2005

Postby zelph » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:57 pm

no photo available yet.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”