"Fancyfeast Stove" Updated Sept 12 2007

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Re: "Fancyfeast Stove" Updated Sept 12 2007

Post by zelph » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:58 pm

I was able to make three different size stoves with one ss globe.

Fancy Feast on the left, weighs 19 grams

Middle is a 2" dia. candle tin. weighs 11.5 grams

On the left is a regular size tea candle tin, weighs 6 grams

I'll put some wick in the new ones and get some tests done.

I like how this stove is working out for everyone. I'm going to make available the wick material available in my Cottage Industry. The material is 2 inches wide and has a finished edge on both edges. Send me a self addressed buisness size envelope and $2.00 and I'll send you a length long enough to make several stoves.

Image ss wire used to hold two ends together

Image Enough material in a globe to make three stoves and have some material left over.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:48 pm

here are some photos that go with the the above post.

Image 2 inch candle tin with wick hardly showing on this side, none around the backside. Hard to light, needs to be primed. I heated it with my butane torch to get it to goin, once going it bloomed fine. These stoves need the wick. If made properly, they can be a great asset to your lightweight kitchen. A one piece stove, that is our ultimate goal. We want to simplify our time on the trail. Don't want parts that can be lost.

Image 2 inch candle tin 5 min. into burn.

Image 2 inch candle tin just after lighting, orange flame is new wick breakin ;)

Image Regular size tea candle tin, wick is higher than what it should be. Stainless steel mesh turned it into a brute of a tiny stove, Arrghh, Arrghh, Arrghh!!!!!!!!!

Believe it or not, I can't find my favorite aluminum pot!!!!!!

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:25 pm

We'll see if we can get Skids to remember a little about using a bird feeder material for making a potstand.

I remember spending an hour with a torch burning off the impurities 'cause it was a sub grade stainless steel. :mrgreen:
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:49 am

toddheyn wrote:
Todd has "Sticktoitiveness" and was rewarded with a super bargain.

That may be true with the SS globe mesh but i have been pulling my hair out trying to find 2" tea light candles to build a turbo tea light stove. Seven stores so far and I have not found anything. The Internet has also not turned up any suppliers so far. Any thoughts? I am hoping that Skidsteer can hook me up with some from his source.

Ok Todd give us an update on your Fancy Feast project. You should have one made by now.

toddheyn

Post by toddheyn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:28 am

I really like the Fancy Feast stove. It seems to fit all of my requirements so far. I can boil up to three cups of water in my Heiny Pot. I do not need a seperate pot stand. Everything fits right into the pot.

I just receive a box of the larger tea light candles from Skidsteer. I started to make a mini Fancy Feast Stove yesterday. I will try it out tonight. If it work well, that really should be the cats a$$. Pun intended. I really do not need the three ounce capacity of the full size Fancy Feast so the 2" tea light tin should work out well.

I'll let everyone know the results.

ps - I went back to K-Mart and the globes were down to $2.00 :lol:

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:50 pm

Nice goin Todd.

You may want to put the rolled edge of the potstand down first into the candle tin. The cut ends of the mesh will be a little rough on the thin bottom of tin, might spring a leak in short time.

I like the fancy feast size. :)

toddheyn

Post by toddheyn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:20 pm

Thanks for the advice on the rolled edge of the mesh. I'll keep that in mind when I make another one.

I just got home and went straight to the basement. My Fancy feast stove in the 2" tea-light tin performed like a champ. It holds one ounce of alcohol and boiled three cups of room 70 degree water in 7 1/2 minutes and continued to burn through the 9 minute mark. I know the standard is 2 cups of water but I use 3 as that is what my wife and I usually go through in an evening meal. I have a feeling that this is going to be my "Go To" stove in the future when I am using the Heiny Pot.

I'll test later with 2 cups to give everyone a better benchmark.
"Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:50 pm

toddheyn wrote:Thanks for the advice on the rolled edge of the mesh. I'll keep that in mind when I make another one.

I just got home and went straight to the basement. My Fancy feast stove in the 2" tea-light tin performed like a champ. It holds one ounce of alcohol and boiled three cups of room 70 degree water in 7 1/2 minutes and continued to burn through the 9 minute mark. I know the standard is 2 cups of water but I use 3 as that is what my wife and I usually go through in an evening meal. I have a feeling that this is going to be my "Go To" stove in the future when I am using the Heiny Pot.

I'll test later with 2 cups to give everyone a better benchmark.

You really did it now.

Now Zelph and I are gonna be sending you all kinds of crap to combine and make stoves. :mrgreen:
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

toddheyn

Post by toddheyn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:24 pm

I just got done with the two cup test on the 2" Tea Light Fancy Feast style stove. One ounce of alcohol brought 2 cups of 76.5 degree water to a rolling boil in 6 minutes and 15 seconds. The water continued to boil until flame out at 8 minutes and 50 seconds.

Quite respectable results I think.

toddheyn

Post by toddheyn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:29 pm

Skids and Zelph,

My wife thinks that I have lost my mind. Each night as i emerge from the basement she asks "How many stoves do you have now?" My answer is always "Not enough yet".

Bring on the components and i will see what my twisted mind can combine them into.