"Fancyfeast Stove" Updated Sept 12 2007

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Re: "Fancyfeast Stove" Updated Sept 12 2007

Post by zelph » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:56 pm

So you think you like making stove heh!!!!

Cute avatar!!!!

Next week I'll have a stove ready that'll knock you socks off :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Nightwalker

Post by Nightwalker » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:49 am

zelph wrote:Send me a self addressed business size envelope and $2.00 and I'll send you a length long enough to make several stoves.

How about 2.50 to PayPal and you supply the envelope? :)
Just Hike!

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:22 am

Nightwalker wrote:
zelph wrote:Send me a self addressed business size envelope and $2.00 and I'll send you a length long enough to make several stoves.

Sure, I'm easy to get along with.

I encourage stove building. :D

zelph@insightbb.com

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:16 pm

zelph wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:

Sure, I'm easy to get along with.

I encourage stove building. :D

zelph@insightbb.com

Nightwalker, my email address is my paypal info that you need for sending. That's it up there in the quoted post.

I sent out the envelope with the fiberglass cloth 2 days ago.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:51 am

This past week I was on a family campout. While sitting inside the mesh covered dinning canopy(10X15). I was able to observe the ability of the mesh fabric to reduce the amount of air flow into the enclosure. There was a good deal of wind occuring off and on in the campground. Very little air movement occured within the screened enclosure. (not good for hot humid days) My mind wanderd, I found myself inside a "globe windscreen" experiencing the same thing, very little air movement, just enough to keep the stove going. I use a globe windscreen around my "Ring Of Fire" stove.

The globe ss mesh around the inside of the fancy feast can prevents air from pushing flames from under your pot that is sitting directly on the mesh. If you have purchased more than one replacement globe, use it as your windscreen.

Those of you that have made this stove try blowing it out. I can't blow mine out, I have to snuff it out if necessary.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:00 pm

I received some feedback from a WB DIYer that made a FancyFeast stove and used it over the Thanksgiving weekend in freezing temps and is well pleased with the performance of the design. I'll see if I can get his permission to post his comments here.

Anyone else made and used one yet?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:32 pm

The globe ss mesh around the inside of the fancy feast can prevents air from pushing flames from under your pot that is sitting directly on the mesh. If you have purchased more than one replacement globe, use it as your windscreen.

Those of you that have made this stove try blowing it out. I can't blow mine out, I have to snuff it out if necessary.

Zelph, what if you tried using a screen globe ,that you have made for a wood burner, as a wind screen for the fancy feast. The slots in the bottom and top should give you sufficient air flow, don't you think?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

toddheyn

Post by toddheyn » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:25 am

My modified mini-fancy feast is now my go-to stove for use with my Heiny pot.

Everything, including the fuel bottle, nests right in the pot. The whole outfit, (Heinekin pot w/ lid and cap, windscreen with reflector and small paperclip, mini Bic lighter, fuel bottle, and the mini-fancy feast stove) only weighs 5.6 ounces.
"Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:52 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:

Zelph, what if you tried using a screen globe ,that you have made for a wood burner, as a wind screen for the fancy feast. The slots in the bottom and top should give you sufficient air flow, don't you think?

The replacement globe will work well. I use one with my Ring of Fire stove.

Toddheyn, you should try the SS globe as a windscreen just for the heck of it and let us know what you think of it. Your Go-To stove worked out really nice. Good Job!!!! DIY'ers always have room for one more stove :) Any idea how much weight the fiberglass wick added to the weight of the Heineken Pot? Fiberglass is glass fibers :o glass is heavy and absorbs heat right? As the water in the pot is heating so is the wick material wrapped around the pot. By the time the water boils, the wick should be at least 212 degrees right? 212 degrees is HOT Those of you that have wrapped the fiberglass wick material around your pots tell us how long you can hold onto your pot with your bare hand when you take it off the stove.

I wrapped a heinekin pot with sheet cork to provide a means of gripping a hot pot. 3/4 of a min. is max that I could hold onto it.

toddheyn

Post by toddheyn » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:34 pm

The fiberglass wick weighs 36 grams. The heiny pot and lid weigh 34 grams. So comparatively speaking the wick does add quite a bit of weight. Basically doubling the weight of the pot. It does work quite well though. I can pick the stove right up with no gloves or bandanna . I can hold it long enough to measure out my water for freezer bag cooking. I do not drink or eat straight from the pot so there is no need for me to hold on to the pot for a long period of time.

With the cork on the side of the pot, I would think that you would get some scorching from the flames coming up the side of the pot.
"Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien