"Fancyfeast Stove" Updated Sept 12 2007

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Re: "Fancyfeast Stove" Updated Sept 12 2007

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:59 pm

toddheyn wrote:The fiberglass wick weighs 36 grams. The heiny pot and lid weigh 34 grams. So comparatively speaking the wick does add quite a bit of weight. Basically doubling the weight of the pot. It does work quite well though. I can pick the stove right up with no gloves or bandanna . I can hold it long enough to measure out my water for freezer bag cooking. I do not drink or eat straight from the pot so there is no need for me to hold on to the pot for a long period of time.

With the cork on the side of the pot, I would think that you would get some scorching from the flames coming up the side of the pot.

If you were to make another Heineken Pot, would you use the fiberglass wick again?

Cork scorches but for the most part will not catch on fire. It was an experiment at the time and would not do it again.

I use a stainless steel wire bail on the top of my Heineken and fosters pots to aid in picking up the pot and pouring. works pretty good.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

toddheyn

Post by toddheyn » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:41 pm

I probably would go with the fiberglass wrap again. I am curious about the bail that you use though. Can you post a picture? Where did you come up with the SS wire? How much does it weigh? Does it stay up and out of the way when you have the pot on the stove?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!
"Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:19 am

toddheyn wrote:I probably would go with the fiberglass wrap again. I am curious about the bail that you use though. Can you post a picture? Where did you come up with the SS wire? How much does it weigh? Does it stay up and out of the way when you have the pot on the stove?

Ace hardware has it. Weighs 1 gram. It stays up out of the way by bending the wire so that it's firm against the rim of the pot. It will slide down into the pot for storage. I'll find a photo of it in The Ring of Fire thread. The bail is cool to the touch as long as you use the lid on the pot to keep the steam off of it.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:30 am

zelph wrote:
toddheyn wrote:I probably would go with the fiberglass wrap again. I am curious about the bail that you use though. Can you post a picture? Where did you come up with the SS wire? How much does it weigh? Does it stay up and out of the way when you have the pot on the stove?

Ace hardware has it. Weighs 1 gram. It stays up out of the way by bending the wire so that it's firm against the rim of the pot. It will slide down into the pot for storage. I'll find a photo of it in The Ring of Fire thread. The bail is cool to the touch as long as you use the lid on the pot to keep the steam off of it.

Here is mine modified and its got a small ring of fire its like the big one it also take a pot with the cross piece the little has a handle the big one has a altoids cover and it all fits in that container i well sometime do it with more pictures
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:14 pm

[quote="oops56
Here is mine modified and its got a small ring of fire its like the big one it also take a pot with the cross piece the little has a handle the big one has a altoids cover and it all fits in that container i well sometime do it with more pictures
Image[/quote]

Oops, do you think you would use the fiberglass wick around the pot again as long as you have a fiberglass bail?

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:24 pm

zelph wrote:[

need both wicks to help dump in bowl or hole between knees as you eat

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:27 pm

oops56 wrote:
zelph wrote:[

need both wicks to help dump in bowl or hold between knees as you eat

toddheyn

Post by toddheyn » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:04 pm

zelph wrote:Ace hardware has it. Weighs 1 gram. It stays up out of the way by bending the wire so that it's firm against the rim of the pot. It will slide down into the pot for storage. I'll find a photo of it in The Ring of Fire thread. The bail is cool to the touch as long as you use the lid on the pot to keep the steam off of it.

I ended up making a wire bail handle for my spare Heiny pot today. I used some scrap wire I had in the shop. It came from the roll of 1/2" wire mesh that i have been using to make some pot supports. It was used to hold the roll of mesh tight. FREE is always good.

The bail only added 4 grams to the weight of the pot. I will use both pots to see which one I like best.
"Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:15 pm

I'm going to wrap one of my Heinekins and get the total weight and see how close it comes to my favorite 2 cup aluminum pot with bail. Most users of the heiny go for the light weight but then come back and add on insulation that doubles the weight. Hmmmm!!!!

Changed my mind. I'll skip the wrap and just double the weight of the pot. ;)

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:26 pm

zelph wrote:I'm going to wrap one of my Heinekins and get the total weight and see how close it comes to my favorite 2 cup aluminum pot with bail. Most users of the heiny go for the light weight but then come back and add on insulation that doubles the weight. Hmmmm!!!!

Changed my mind. I'll skip the wrap and just double the weight of the pot. ;)

Yep go ahead on do it this lightweight to me goes to far.Cut things off drill more holes make it smaller cut shoe lances why not cut some fingers off or go bare foot get a hair cut cut off your pack straps shorter etc. to h--- with oz. go for total lbs. :? :?