"Cobalt" beer bottle stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
User avatar
Pure Mahem
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:13 am

Re: "Cobalt" beer bottle stove

Post by Pure Mahem » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:41 am

thinking small here. what if you made a wickitized blank that was only high enough to maintain a 1oz or 1.5 oz fuel capacity and then did the same as RR did, would the fact that there's less stove to get heated up effect things for the better? :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

User avatar
Ridgerunner
Posts: 5278
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: SW, Ohio
Contact:

Re: "Cobalt" beer bottle stove

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:29 pm

DarenN wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:I took a blank wickitize beer bottle that Zelph sent me and jetted the top edge. Then I added a Starlyte pot support to expedite matters and set her ablaze. 1/2 ounce heet, 67 degree indoor temp, 47 degree well tap water. Bloomed within 10 seconds and lasted 6:45 at which time it was just short of a rolling boil.
Ridgerunner;
try a shorter potstand, please. i'd just about bet money that if you could slow down the burn you'd get a boil out of it! :mrgreen:

Daren......
I lowered the pot stand to 3/4" and got the same results except that it did burn a good 10 minutes. I will try it with my low profile wide 2 up Olicamp kettle when I figure out where i last set it down. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: "Cobalt" beer bottle stove

Post by DarenN » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:36 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
DarenN wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:I took a blank wickitize beer bottle that Zelph sent me and jetted the top edge. Then I added a Starlyte pot support to expedite matters and set her ablaze. 1/2 ounce heet, 67 degree indoor temp, 47 degree well tap water. Bloomed within 10 seconds and lasted 6:45 at which time it was just short of a rolling boil.
Ridgerunner;
try a shorter potstand, please. i'd just about bet money that if you could slow down the burn you'd get a boil out of it! :mrgreen:

Daren......
I lowered the pot stand to 3/4" and got the same results except that it did burn a good 10 minutes. I will try it with my low profile wide 2 up Olicamp kettle when I figure out where i last set it down. :roll:
check behind that other thing you lost three weeks ago. :D

take the potstand down to 1/2" and see what shakes out......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: "Cobalt" beer bottle stove

Post by zelph » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:39 pm

grumdrig wrote:Just to take a step back here, I have some questions about this design. I'm not positive I see the charm. I'm sure it's there - I'm just looking for it still.

1) They burn HEET. Is this design not compatible with ethanol fuel, which has higher energy content than methanol? Because the numbers don't seem stellar vs. ethanol stoves.

2) Does it have to be AL beer bottles for some reason? Or would a beer can work? I've yet to find the bottles.

3) I'm amazed the arbor press + die thing works. That's not a question, but thought I'd say it anyway.
The design will work with well with ethanol. I used it when I did the oudoor/grenhouse cold temperature test.

Beer bottles are used because of their greater strength.

Beer cans can't be turned inward like the bottle. Different grade of aluminum. It's on the krinkly side :)

Everybody is amazed to see the bottle turned inward on it's self.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: "Cobalt" beer bottle stove

Post by zelph » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:40 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:thinking small here. what if you made a wickitized blank that was only high enough to maintain a 1oz or 1.5 oz fuel capacity and then did the same as RR did, would the fact that there's less stove to get heated up effect things for the better? :mrgreen:
Good idea pure. I'll try it and see how it works. I'll post when I've got something. Remind me in a few days ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
Mister Krabs
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:54 pm

Re: "Cobalt" beer bottle stove

Post by Mister Krabs » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:30 pm

zelph, how much fuel is up to the scribed line?

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: "Cobalt" beer bottle stove

Post by zelph » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:58 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:zelph, how much fuel is up to the scribed line?
2.5 ounces. approx. 1 ounce up to the letter r and then 2 ounce up to the letter e :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: "Cobalt" beer bottle stove

Post by DarenN » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:31 pm

zelph wrote:
Mister Krabs wrote:zelph, how much fuel is up to the scribed line?
2.5 ounces. approx. 1 ounce up to the letter r and then 2 ounce up to the letter e :mrgreen:
all the way up to the line burns for a loooooonnnnnnng time. :mrgreen:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: "Cobalt" beer bottle stove

Post by zelph » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:18 am

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:
Mister Krabs wrote:zelph, how much fuel is up to the scribed line?
2.5 ounces. approx. 1 ounce up to the letter r and then 2 ounce up to the letter e :mrgreen:
all the way up to the line burns for a loooooonnnnnnng time. :mrgreen:
I would be inclined to be testing that much fuel outside in a containment tray of sorts with an extinguisher nearby :lol: :lol: .
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: "Cobalt" beer bottle stove

Post by DarenN » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:01 am

zelph wrote:
DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:
2.5 ounces. approx. 1 ounce up to the letter r and then 2 ounce up to the letter e :mrgreen:
all the way up to the line burns for a loooooonnnnnnng time. :mrgreen:
I would be inclined to be testing that much fuel outside in a containment tray of sorts with an extinguisher nearby :lol: :lol: .
well i had an extinguisher handy.... :mrgreen: .....
the stove was very well-behaved. i had a three cup pot full of water on it the whole time, just boiling away nicely.

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Post Reply