"Cobalt" beer bottle stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
Irvingdog

Re: "Cobalt" beer bottle stove

Post by Irvingdog » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:07 am

Greetings from the field! 6:30 on a gorgeous Saturday morning, and I'm staring out at a serene little "pot-hole" listening to the chorus of frogs, accented by the booming of shotguns in the distance (it's opening waterfowl today).

Made a great FB meal of taters, stuffing and chicken last night which the 9yr old destroyed. "best dinner ever" and such. Some times it's not what you eat but where you eat it. He licked the Orikaso clean, something his mom would admonish him for but required at the campsite. In bed by 8, and awakened at 3! We took a moonless night stroll and listened to owls, yotes and something which I have no idea what it was. Scared the crap out of me, but I kept the poker face. A 4am hot cocoa put him out like a light, and I snuggled next to him, awakening at my usual 5:30. He will now sleep til 10 if I let him.
An oatmeal breakfast will complete this overnight trip, because we want to run home for the Gophers v Cal Bears game (sky-U-mah!!!)
so the long disertation all revolves around the fact that I used my Cobalt stove on this trip, and I believe you'd be hard pressed to find a better Alchy. These sites are "hike in" and we went fast and light, but you can't under-value durable around a little boy. No priming means less time fussing around and more time tossing the nerf football around the campsite, easier to make the 4am cocoa. And durable means it holds up to him
sending the kitchen flying when a stray pass crashes into the table.

I now have a great memory notched into my cobalt.
Thanks Zelph

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:44 am

Hey Irvingdog , I must of been on a trip when you posted your trip results. Wow, precious times with your son. Glad you had the fun times........no prime stoves are the best ;)
Scared the crap out of me, but I kept the poker face.
Screech owls will scare the daylights out of the best of them. I speculate that's what it was :o

Here is a video of the "Cobalt" and the White Box Stove being subjected to 2 cups of 60 degree water being poured around their base/bodies. The WBS never did recover from the cold shock treatment. Result: The "Cobalt" performs far better than the WBS.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:34 am

zelph wrote:Hey Irvingdog , I must of been on a trip when you posted your trip results. Wow, precious times with your son. Glad you had the fun times........no prime stoves are the best ;)
Scared the crap out of me, but I kept the poker face.
Screech owls will scare the daylights out of the best of them. I speculate that's what it was :o

Here is a video of the "Cobalt" and the White Box Stove being subjected to 2 cups of 60 degree water being poured around their base/bodies. The WBS never did recover from the cold shock treatment. Result: The "Cobalt" performs far better than the WBS.

a guy i did know will say bad fuel :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:30 am

a guy i did know will say bad fuel
That is correct!!! :D The fuel became contaminated as it went down the sides of the raw aluminum wall of the WBS. As we all know, Bill Ballowe uses harsh chemicals/paint removers to take the paint off his stove bottles. Chemical residues tainted the metal which in turn tainted the fuel. There!!! it's all figured out now :lol: Stop removing the paint...............

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:57 pm

I added 2 video responses that relate to a comment about alcohol lighting in cold weather. (cold weather is on it's way :cry: )

Double click on the video window to be able to see the video resposes located right under the playing video.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:22 pm

I did a little test today and wanted to show you the result:

1/2 ounce of HEET was used in each stove.

1/4 ounce HEET was used to prime them just to make sure the prime flame wouldn't go out befor the WBS bloomed.

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 am

Tinney posted a 2 vid piece on his version of the Bios 2.2 with the history of it's development.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uekaUN8V7Ec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzWl4ZUI57E

He "admitted" that "only one person" was right as to his Bios 1 boil over issue. He didn't name names....but I'm pretty sure I know who that "one person" was. :D :DB: :mrgreen:

I notice he still doesn't use wicking inside the walls so it still had a cold pot problem with the stove going out...which he "solved" by crimping the rim..also "solving" the internal pressure problem - by venting unburned alcohol vapor out next to the pot where it will do very little as far as cooking efficiency (I'm not real sure that should be viewed as an "improvement"). And it still doesn't do as well with narrow pots as the Cobalt Soloist or Super Stove.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:58 pm

Vibe wrote: He "admitted" that "only one person" was right as to his Bios 1 boil over issue. He didn't name names....but I'm pretty sure I know who that "one person" was. :D :DB: :mrgreen:

I notice he still doesn't use wicking inside the walls so it still had a cold pot problem with the stove going out...which he "solved" by crimping the rim..also "solving" the internal pressure problem - by venting unburned alcohol vapor out next to the pot where it will do very little as far as cooking efficiency (I'm not real sure that should be viewed as an "improvement"). And it still doesn't do as well with narrow pots as the Cobalt Soloist or Super Stove.
Crimping the rim compromised the integrety of the thin aluminum, surely it causes some tiny cracks that will progressively get worse over time as the metal heats and and expands and will begin to leak fuel vapors. The leaking vapors will not have a chance to mix with oxygen and combust. As you mentioned Vibe, raising the pot up away from the rim will allow vapors to escape in an inefficient manner up the side of the pot, not being able to mix properly with oxygen. Oxygen is not available until after the vapors are well beyond the ends of the existing flames being produced by the jets. Wasted fuel for sure. He clearly admits the stove burns hot meaning it's really using up the fuel and you better use a big diameter pot to catch the heat. He creates problems as he goes along. 2 years after putting the stove on the market he finallly admits the stove has had some problems. It still needs to be wrapped with wick and primed. :roll: Another bad idea was the 3 point suspension of the pot...tipppy....tipppy :roll:

Good thing you were the one that recognized the real problem of the overflowing. He would to this day be telling people it's because you have "bad fuel". Did he say there were about 100 stoves that were reported having the overflow problem? Could you imagine...all of them being told "it's your fuel, your fuel is bad"

The "Cobalt" is 10 times better than the bios2 and will always be better.

The "Cobalt Blue Solist" is 100 times better than the bios2.

The "Super Stove" walks all over the bios2 and the whitebox.

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:16 pm

zelph wrote: The "Cobalt" is 10 times better than the bios2 and will always be better.

The "Cobalt Blue Solist" is 100 times better than the bios2.

The "Super Stove" walks all over the bios2 and the whitebox.
In the words of Duckie

Yep, Yep,Yep. :DP:

(Land Before Time) :DB:
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:45 pm

He "admitted" that "only one person" was right as to his Bios 1 boil over issue. He didn't name names....but I'm pretty sure I know who that "one person" was.
At about the 4:25 mark of the first video, he mentions that some of the "cult members" on his site discovered what was causing the problem. I'm glad that there was an exorcism and Vibe is over here now. What did the Koolade tast like? :P :lol: :lol: Tinny is an interesting character and I wish him well. ;) I don't own one single stove of Tinnys so I have no complaints! :lol: I do enjoy his videos when I have time to watch them. He is always trying to improve gear and I send out my kudos for his efforts. Nuff said! 8-)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !