"Cobalt" stove for Heineken pot AKA "Cobalt Blue Soloist"

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
hoz

Re: "Cobalt" stove for Heineken pot

Postby hoz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:49 pm

I copied this stove today using a DIY cobalt blank (Thx Zelph!) and a strip of lightweight steel from a mandarin orange juice can. No fiberglass wick in the folds of the cobalt , but I used a strip of Kevlar felt as an interior starter wick. Super glued to the inside of the stand strip. The felt is left over from installing skid plates on my canoes.

Drill pattern is a #60 wire bit around the top with approx 1/8" spacing.

Test was in 70 degree kitchen, using tap water.
Stove was allowed to cool between burns.

Small IMUSA mug, 2cu H2O

First burn with 1 oz alky, bloom 1 min 30 sec, boil 10 minutes, total burn 12:30 minutes. (Enough to "warm" another cu H2O). Pattern excellent for IMUSA cup.

Dissatisfied with the bloom time I enlarged 8 of the holes evenly spaced around top to 1/16"

Second burn 1oz alky, 1:32 bloom, boil 9 min, total burn 11:15 min. (Barely warmed second cu H2O). Again good pattern under cup.

Started to suspect lack of interior glass wick to be the cause of the late bloom. Still I enlarged 8 more holes to 1/16".

Third burn with 3/4 oz alky. Slow bloom, at 1 min I added a few drops to base pan and lit. Instantly got bloom. (Along with some flare overflow from stove). Boil 9 min, out at 10. Pattern starting to lap cup sides, but still good for IMUSA cup.

Next going to add exterior fiberglass priming wick to get a little "boost to bloom" but going back to #60 bit @1/8" spacing. .

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:58 pm

I found that mine bloomed quite a bit faster with a pot held 1/2"or so above the stove.And after I added the "Grill" to it I could put the pot on the stove right afterwards.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

hoz

Postby hoz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:04 pm

Vibe wrote:I found that mine bloomed quite a bit faster with a pot held 1/2"or so above the stove.And after I added the "Grill" to it I could put the pot on the stove right afterwards.

R ur jets drilled right on the top edge, (facing up)?

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:27 am

hoz wrote:
Vibe wrote:I found that mine bloomed quite a bit faster with a pot held 1/2"or so above the stove.And after I added the "Grill" to it I could put the pot on the stove right afterwards.

R ur jets drilled right on the top edge, (facing up)?

No. About 5/16"-3/8" down around the outside.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:35 am

My thinking to get a quick bloom time would be to put the jets in the top rolled edge and use a pot support similar to the Etowah stove or a piece of stainless hardware cloth rolled to fit inside like the Fancee Feast but allowing the starter flame to make direct contact with the jets.You would want the pot suppoet to stick above the burner 3/4" to 1" for best performance. It would then accomadate the Heine pot and a regular pot. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Postby oops56 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:40 am

Ridgerunner wrote:My thinking to get a quick bloom time would be to put the jets in the top rolled edge and use a pot support similar to the Etowah stove or a piece of stainless hardware cloth rolled to fit inside like the Fancee Feast but allowing the starter flame to make direct contact with the jets.You would want the pot suppoet to stick above the burner 3/4" to 1" for best performance. It would then accomadate the Heine pot and a regular pot. ;)

Ridgerunner that how i fixing to mine in a way dont give it away got a blamk ine coming :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

oops56

Postby oops56 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:41 am

oops56 wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:My thinking to get a quick bloom time would be to put the jets in the top rolled edge and use a pot support similar to the Etowah stove or a piece of stainless hardware cloth rolled to fit inside like the Fancee Feast but allowing the starter flame to make direct contact with the jets.You would want the pot suppoet to stick above the burner 3/4" to 1" for best performance. It would then accomadate the Heine pot and a regular pot. ;)

Ridgerunner that how i fixing to do to mine in a way dont give it away got a blank one coming :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:26 pm

I have not had the chance to test these stoves yet but my thinking is that the cobalt with the wick in the walls and top edge jetted, should work like a Trangia. Probably not as well but hopefully close. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

hoz

Postby hoz » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:39 pm

I used hardware cloth for the stand today. It turns it into an open stove instead of pressurized when using a solid strip. The alky (3/4 oz) burned up faster (7:35 min) and didn't boil, BUT IT DID BLOOM IN :35.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:42 pm

hoz wrote:

I used hardware cloth for the stand today. It turns it into an open stove instead of pressurized when using a solid strip. The alky (3/4 oz) burned up faster (7:35 min) and didn't boil, BUT IT DID BLOOM IN :35.

Will be interesting to see if having the internal wick makes a difference?

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”