Compak Wood Burner

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Re: Compak Wood Burner

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:03 pm

Here is a video to see how it's made.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:01 pm

it looks like you have done it again!
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Mister Krabs

Post by Mister Krabs » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:34 am

I like it, but after watching the video, I'm wondering how stable it is and how likely it is that the two sides could start to spread apart under the load of the pot. It seemed a little shakey when you set the pot on there.

What if you put the fire grate "leg" through a slot on the right wall panel before you folded it down? That would brace it laterally and perhaps cut a gram.

A couple dozen burns will give us a better idea of it's longevity for that gauge steel, but all in all I like it a lot. I especially like that even though it folds flat, there's no assembly required.

Have you thought of trying to fabricate a sort of piano hinge using the walls and a pin rather than welded on hinges? It would be an elegant solution and if you could jig it right, could be less work then making and welding individual hinges. Probably stronger too.

Anyway, just some brainstorming, Great work!

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:03 am

Mister Krabs wrote:I like it, but after watching the video, I'm wondering how stable it is and how likely it is that the two sides could start to spread apart under the load of the pot. It seemed a little shakey when you set the pot on there.

What if you put the fire grate "leg" through a slot on the right wall panel before you folded it down? That would brace it laterally and perhaps cut a gram.

A couple dozen burns will give us a better idea of it's longevity for that gauge steel, but all in all I like it a lot. I especially like that even though it folds flat, there's no assembly required.

Have you thought of trying to fabricate a sort of piano hinge using the walls and a pin rather than welded on hinges? It would be an elegant solution and if you could jig it right, could be less work then making and welding individual hinges. Probably stronger too.

here is one i got off ebay

Man play with fire man get burnt

Mister Krabs

Post by Mister Krabs » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:21 am

how much does the wonder stove weigh, oops?

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:29 am

Mister Krabs wrote:how much does the wonder stove weigh, oops?
i have no idea i can pick it up ok :lol: :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:51 am

Mister Krabs wrote:I like it, but after watching the video, I'm wondering how stable it is and how likely it is that the two sides could start to spread apart under the load of the pot. It seemed a little shakey when you set the pot on there.

My main concern was to test the welds on the hinges and they were a success. The hinges are made of .003 stainless. They are much easier to form than the .006 of the walls. Both materials are "full hard" At some point intime I'll try the piano hinge idea and see how easy/difficult it is to form the hinge. Cutting the tabs onto the walls for the hinge will be a task. Not impossible but interesting. :)

The pot had 6 cups of water in it to test the strength of the verticle support frames. The stove wobbled but was still very secure. After the flame test was over I did the pot test on the framework and was pleased with the strength. I'm going to add a free swinging arm that will reach over and connect the top support rails to secure the walls and stabilize them. Prevent them from separating as you saw in the video.

I think I'll eliminate the little swing down leg that supports the grate and add on a different mechanism to go through a hole in the wall and will hold it firmly against it. It will serve two purpose, keep the walls together and support the grate.

Thanks for your brainstorming. Makes for good flow of ideas.

Oops, nice stove. Put some fire to it and break it in. Get some soot on it :D Boil a turkey on it, it looks strong enough. Looks heavy and solid.

Mister Krabs

Post by Mister Krabs » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:22 am

for the piano hinge, you could cut two or more layers at the same time with a dremel, or maybe even one at a time in a 3 hole punch if the stuff's thin enough

cut off the alternating flaps, middle on one, outer two on the other. Then the hard part will be folding the steel to a tight radius for the hinge pin. Maybe it will be hard? I suppose not if you know how to do that sort of thing and have the right tool :)

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:31 am

Mister Krabs wrote:for the piano hinge, you could cut two or more layers at the same time with a dremel, or maybe even one at a time in a 3 hole punch if the stuff's thin enough

cut off the alternating flaps, middle on one, outer two on the other. Then the hard part will be folding the steel to a tight radius for the hinge pin. Maybe it will be hard? I suppose not if you know how to do that sort of thing and have the right tool :)
The secret to all projects is having the right tools :D bending the .006 over a 3/32 pin is going to be interesting.

Cphobes

Post by Cphobes » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:57 pm

zelph wrote:It's made of stainless steel. Weighs 4 oz.

I used .006 stainless shim stock off a 6" wide roll.

I fabricated the hinges and welded them to the body. The hinge pins are stainless steel rod.

8 inches tall X 5 inches wide/square. and collapses to less that 1/4" thick.

It's just one piece. Has 1" rectangular openings all around top and bottom.

Test burns begin tomorrow.
Very nice, I also like nimblewill's design and have made the templates for it but only had galvinized steel. :(

How much you thinking of selling it for?

-Stephen
--
Y!: cphobes
AOLiM: cphobes
Email: stephen@mcguire.name
Blog: http://www.stephen.mcguire.name/