Device to determin proper distance burner to potstand

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Device to determin proper distance burner to potstand

Post by zelph » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:52 am

This is part off an ongoing test of a device/method of determining the correct distance from top of burner to bottom of pot.

These are full photos of sample views of flame pattern given off by the PMS stove designed by Skids. A visual and olfactory examination of his stove seems to indicate the pot support portion of his one piece stove is at optimum hieght.

These photos were taken as the flame increased in size as time elapsed in the course of burning 1/2 ounce of fuel to cause 1 cup of water to boil. I chose 1 cup because holding my face and camera over the class pot for the duration of a 2 cup boil would not be possible. Had to hold my breath for too long a period of time :D

Using a glass viewing device such as the glass pot used in the glass stove thread, makes it possible to determin the correct height of a pot stand in relation to the height of the burner.

I'm in the process of constructing a STOVIES adjustable platform to hold the glass viewing container. It will be used to hold the container over any size burner to determin the correct height to make the pot support. It will raise up and down by turning a screw devise. It will have the ability to focus the glass container over the flame until it is at a visual height of adjustment that is deemed to be the correct distance, burner to bottom of pot.

I believe this to be a significant breakthrough for STOVIES all over the world. Pass this information on to the appropriate country that may be viewing. :D

Start from the bottom photo and work your way up to see the sequence of flame growth.

Image Flame pattern
Image Water boils
Image Bubbles formed. Look deep into the center, you can see the hole that the fuel is poured into, thats how clear the glass container is. I feel like a Dr. looking into the bowels of the burner :lol:

Image Red/orange intensified
Image Red/orange starts to radiate outward
Image Seconds after stove is lit
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: Device to determin proper stove height

Post by oops56 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:20 pm

Dam it just one more thing to build. Mine half done i got a old photo enlarger put a steel circle on the arm with hole for glass pot pie one up and down. we there goes all the out side work short to h---.
Man play with fire man get burnt

oops56

Post by oops56 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:39 pm

oops56 wrote:Dam it just one more thing to build. Mine half done i got a old photo enlarger put a steel circle on the arm with hole for glass pot pie one up and down. we there goes all the out side work short to h---.

oops just found it its from a tripod took off legs just the middle piece that moves camera up and down.

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:46 pm

That is some cool stuff there Zelph!
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:49 pm

oops56 wrote:
oops56 wrote:Dam it just one more thing to build. Mine half done i got a old photo enlarger put a steel circle on the arm with hole for glass pot pie one up and down. we there goes all the out side work short to h---.

oops just found it its from a tripod took off legs just the middle piece that moves camera up and down.

Alright!!! your halfway there. Clear off your workbench and start testing your stoves.

I could'nt get near my workbench, I had to use a rollaround tool chest/bench :lol:

oops56

Post by oops56 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:46 pm

Ok here here it is the dish got at p & c holds 2 cups going to put hole in cover the dish is a little taper. But fist must get some wood in house fire went out all this running around.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:07 pm

Skidsteer wrote:That is some cool stuff there Zelph!

I was taken back abit when I put one your other stoves under the glass pot to see if I could see the little jets putting out individual jets of fire. When I would raise and lower the pot to get better views I could see the color of the flame change as it was pushed down upon by the pot. Further testing showed that it was possible to see the exact color/formation of the flame that was giving off the most amount of heat. It's a combination of sight and smelling that helps to determin the best height for the potstand to be. Someone that does torch welding/cutting needs to adjust the acetalene, oxygen gasses to mix to the correct state. Their eyes are used to determin that just-right mixture. It's a visual thing. So, one thing led to another. First I played with the glass stove, then used the glass pot to heat water. Then used the glass pot to see the jets burning, then the discovery of a new tool. Neat how things work out. The little jets on the burner never did light up :)

The pyrex bowl that I used was originally a yogurt making bowl/container, had a plastic lid when I purchased it at the Salvation Army years ago when I was growing plants in vitro(in sterile containers with special jello like growing medium) I was cloning plants :D The container is very thin. It alows a very clear view of the stoves flame pattern.

Oops56, your container may not be thin enough to see clearly through it. We eagerly await the construction of your scientific apparatus :D

You can easily tell that Oops is a true STOVIE. His running around buying parts for his stove tests caused the home fire to go out. His little stoves are more of an interest than keeping warm in the house. :D

Look at the large photos above, I added additional text to the photo that has the laughing emoticon.

zelph

Re: Device to determin proper distance burner to potstand

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:14 pm

This is what I came up with to hold the glass pot.

I used a scissors jack gotten for $2.00 at garage sale. Some stainless steel banding strap to hold pot to piece of pine wood. Drilled hole into top plate of jack. Used a nut and bolt to fasten pot assembly to the jack.
The fine thread on the jack allows for fine adjustment up and down movement of pot.

I have more photos of how I did it if you want more. Let us know how yours turns out and if you have pics bring em with.

Start from the bottom photo and work your way up to see the sequence of assembly.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:04 pm

Zelph you putting a rush on me :lol: i did not make it to the hardware store so i had use the old stand by to try it clamps and bailing wire
got two pic. be back

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:10 pm

ok i goof up posting this show that the pot needs just a Little closer not much but i think the height plus boil time determines it all