BudLyte Super Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
David@Whiteblaze

Re: BudLyte Super Stove

Post by David@Whiteblaze » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:16 pm

David@Whiteblaze wrote:
stevebo wrote:I havnt tried it, but I read somewhere that if you ad a bit of salt to to your fuel, it makes the flames visable. Its worth a try! I love the stove, great design! :D
On the right is Heet (yellow Bottle) in the bottom part of a Venom Bottle (comparable to a bud bottle) on the left is Heet (yellow Bottle again) with about 1/2 t of table salt added in the bottom half of a coke can.
actually, I got the orientation wrong, it's salt on the right, Heet on the left...

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Yes, I'm very interested in the white gas mod and will probably do it once I use up my gallon of denatured:-)

Zelph, when you say alcohol burns slow after the mod, what would you figure at 20 degrees, twice as long to boil two cups or longer?

I guess a pot stand would work to raise the pot up to the original height when using alcohol?
Yes, by the gallon :D

I think it was around 18 min the boil was to begin.

I agree, raise the pot and it would burn faster with the modified one. Use an external pot stand of first class stainless wire cloth. :D

Does anyone know if salt remains in solution when added to fuel? It sure makes a difference in visibility....thanks for the visuals of the two....David@Whiteblaze
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

David@Whiteblaze

Post by David@Whiteblaze » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:39 pm

zelph wrote: Does anyone know if salt remains in solution when added to fuel? It sure makes a difference in visibility....thanks for the visuals of the two....David@Whiteblaze
I'll try it if you can explain what you mean... I've got heet and my can... dou you mean does the salt vaporize :?:

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:52 pm

David@Whiteblaze wrote:
zelph wrote: Does anyone know if salt remains in solution when added to fuel? It sure makes a difference in visibility....thanks for the visuals of the two....David@Whiteblaze
I'll try it if you can explain what you mean... I've got heet and my can... dou you mean does the salt vaporize :?:
Disregard my question. I was thinking salt does not disolve in alcohol only in water :? I'm confused :lol:

brooklynkayak

Post by brooklynkayak » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:34 am

Keep in mind that salt combined with the water in the alcohol will oxidize aluminum, especially with the added temperature of the flame..
I'd be afraid that adding salt would shorten the life of the stove.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
-- H. S. Thompson

brooklynkayak

Post by brooklynkayak » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:39 am

zelph wrote:Yes, by the gallon :D
Thanks Zelph.

Prices for denatured at my local hardware store when I bought my gallon.
Prices have gone up since then:

1 Pint $4.50
1 Quart $6.00
1 Gallon $10.00

So now you understand why I have a gallon:-)
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
-- H. S. Thompson

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:26 am

brooklynkayak wrote:Keep in mind that salt combined with the water in the alcohol will oxidize aluminum, especially with the added temperature of the flame..
I'd be afraid that adding salt would shorten the life of the stove.
Let's not add salt to our fuel :D

Thanks for the insight on salt and aluminum. I once used a fresh water spinning reel to fish the pacific coast around Cape Hatteras. I was not aware of the effects of salt water on aluminum reels. The next time I went to use the reel in fresh water I was rudely awakened to find the reel froze-up. The innards completely corroded. Had I rinsed the reel in fresh water the same day of use it would have survived. We learn by venturing out blindly, the expensive way :o :mrgreen:

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:13 pm

Not only that, the yellow part of the flame isn't as hot as the blue part of the flame.

In fact, I understand, the space just above the flame is the hottest.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:00 pm

ConnieD wrote:Not only that, the yellow part of the flame isn't as hot as the blue part of the flame.

In fact, I understand, the space just above the flame is the hottest.
............I googled "What is Fire"

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:58 pm

I was able to make a die to fit the "Venom" energy drink bottles and turn them into stoves. Initial test was great. I'll create a new thread for them tomorrow. I need to give the stove a different name. It's larger in diameter as can be seen in the photos.

ImageImageImage