BudLyte Super Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
Ridgerunner

Re: BudLyte Super Stove

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
It looks like you are using 2 that have been turned outward. Will the Cobalt fit inside the Venom that has been turned outward?

Yes it fits
That is what we have been trying to ask the whole time....pay attention :lol: :lol: :lol: I like the idea to the two stoves nested together. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:58 pm

just tinkering wrote:So, does the introvert Bud Super Stove nest into the Extrovert Venom Stove?
Yes :oops:

I wasn't paying attention to the verts :o as RR pointed out :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:27 pm

I did some testing of the reversed bud bottle.

Air temp was at 50 degrees, water temp was at 60 degrees

I suspect the barometric pressure was low. Had rain yesterday and today, skies still overcast. Low pressure equates to longer time to achieve a boil.

Used denatured alcohol, an aluminum pot of 5.5 inches in diam. with a capacity of 2.5 cups.

Three tests with 1/2 ounce(15ml) of fuel did not get a boil.

Three tests using 2/3 oz(20ml) of fuel achieved a boil and continued for 1 min.

I did not get times it took to boil. An approximation is 8 min. to boil.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:48 pm

You better send those results to that "woody guy" so he can post something. :mrgreen:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:02 pm

I lost track of how many tests I did in my kitchen today. :roll:

The conditions were optimal, 70 degree water and air temps, calm air and no one home to bother me :D

Both outward rolled stoves large and small failed to boil 2 cups of water using 1/2 ounce (15ml) of denatured alcohol. Water temperature averaged 205 degrees at flame out.

Using 2/3oz. (20ml) of fuel I was able to achieve a boil and continue to boil for 1.5 min Time to achieve a boil averaged about 7.5 to 8 min.

I used my 2.5 cup capacity aluminum pot which has a diameter or 5.5 inches (my standard testing pot) Tomorrow I'll do some tests with a heineken pot.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:31 am

No one has suggested VenomLyte? :mrgreen:

Hey! I like that video on page 12 and page 13 in this thread.

I think I will not be making a video, unless: (1) I get my own tripod. The guy I borrowed the tripod asked for it. (2) I need another Vargo 750 ml Sierra Cup. The "made-in-china" thermometer melted. It says "no mercury". I don't think so. It sure looks like mercury, you know "quicksilver". I am not taking a chance.

Meanwhile, I have been off in the wilderness.

I read the article about fire. I learned (learnt, have learned?) in college General Metals class, in my Industrial Technology Bachelor of Science major, the hottest part of the flame is the invisible part just above the flame. Blue is hotter than yellow, but the hottest part of the flame is invisible and just above the visible flame.

I learnt (learned, have learned?) in White Blaze forum, the easy-method to find the hottest part of the flame is to boil water, then, lift the pan high off above the flame until the boiling stops, then, lower the pan, slowly, until the boiling starts and that "pan height" is at the hottest part of the flame.

We were discussing "pan height" for caldera clone design.

In fact, it was probably Zelph who offered this information.

Both MountainLytes (alcohol version, white gas version) work well with my ordinary cooking pots. I would like to try the new rolled out edge Grease Pot. Do you have any, Zelph?

Zelph: Do you have a can of chafing oil to sell? Locally, they only sell chafing oil by the case.

I do miss my Vargo 750 ml Sierra Cup, however, because I can saute, fry, steam, boil, and bake in its more open form factor. I will replace it at some point. It is titanium.

Knotty

Post by Knotty » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:05 pm

ConnieD wrote:I read the article about fire. I learned (learnt, have learned?) in college General Metals class, in my Industrial Technology Bachelor of Science major, the hottest part of the flame is the invisible part just above the flame. Blue is hotter than yellow, but the hottest part of the flame is invisible and just above the visible flame.

I learnt (learned, have learned?) in White Blaze forum, the easy-method to find the hottest part of the flame is to boil water, then, lift the pan high off above the flame until the boiling stops, then, lower the pan, slowly, until the boiling starts and that "pan height" is at the hottest part of the flame.
The blue part of the flame is hotter than the yellow and the yellow is hotter than the invisible section (which isn't generating enough energy to produce visible light). However, the yellow tip of the flame has more total energy available to transfer to the object, even though the blue flame below has a higher temp.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:07 pm

So if I lifted the pot up off the flame 1" the water would cease to boil?

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:30 pm

If you lifted it slowly.

In high school chemistry class, we did that with the Bunsen burner and the typical clamp on a rod and stand setup we had.

Maybe what the college general metals class professor said only applied to an acetylene torch?

Maybe one of those remote temperature sensors may be able to throw light on this? ;)

I hate to think the college professor was incompetent. :P
Last edited by ConnieD on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:38 pm

ConnieD wrote:If you lifted it slowly.

:P
Im going to try it today. I'll see what I have available in Pyrex ware. Can't very well do it with a lidless pot. Just remembered, I have the Flam-O-Meter somewhere in storage.