BudLyte Super Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
Ridgerunner

Re: BudLyte Super Stove

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:12 pm

ConnieD wrote:Here is a nice one, from zelph.

Now, you know I have nice equipment. :D
Nice setup Connie. I like the lid on your cookpot! Nice looking dew stoves!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:10 am

ConnieD wrote:Here is a nice one, from zelph.

Now, you know I have nice equipment. :D
Hey, it's photogenic :D you wasted no time putting it to use. What part of paradise do you live in that there is no snow :)

Last night it was -11 degrees in my neck of the woods and an additional 6" of new snow came down yesterday morning. Too cold to be out testing the Super Stove under a windscreen like yours, looks promising to keep the flame stable on the modified for white gas model.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:08 am

What part of paradise do you live in that there is no snow :)
Must be the balmy Pacific Northwest... :mrgreen:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:39 am

balmy is right! :mrgreen:

remember last year? i was digging out of three feet of snow! :o not this year! :D it's the middle of the night and it's +5* celcius. i think i'll go for a walk (can't sleep).
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:55 am

Yeah..I think the snow geese and swans sitting around(rather than flying south) and getting fat is a good sign we may be in for a nice mild winter this year.Last year was a freak year.I think that was the first year I can remember that snow stayed around for more than a week at a time..but I have alzhweimer's.
What were we talking about? :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:48 pm

I am "wintering" in Oregon.

That windscreen is from Zelph. I cut the slot for the handle, that's all.

The lid came with the Vargo 750 ml Sierra Cup.

The Mountain Dew Super Stoves are made by Zelph: one stove for alcohol and one stove is for "white gas". These two Mountain Dew cans have a girl hiker, I think. At least, she has a backpack on her back. It is anime art, I think.

I do know these stoves deserve a photograph.

I am having rain, here, but on the first reasonably sunny day I get here (which could be some time, here) I will boil 2 Cups 50 F water with each stove, recording the air temperature.

I will report the results. I am going to try to make a video with my little digital camera.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:13 pm

I did 2 tests with the white gas version using denatured alcohol surrounded by the zmart windscreen with the kmart grease pot on top. Interesting results. I need warmer room temperatures for testing.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:20 am

What happened?

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:18 pm

ConnieD wrote:What happened?
It burned on the slow side so I raised the wick and it was much better. I have a prototype windscreen with windows in it so I can see what the flame looks like when it's burning. The windows are covered with mica sheet so air does not enter prematurely. That's how I was able to determine the amount of holes in the windscreen for use with the modified StarLyte stove. I would be able to have a visual of the stove with the pot on top and wrapped with the windscreen. I take stove designing seriously :mrgreen:

In warmer weather, the modified Super Stove might work just fine inside the Zmart windscreen when it is wrapped close around your pot. Right now in cold temps it should work great with white gas under your pot shown in the photo. I eagerly await your tests. I'll probably test it also using the kmart pot. It's warming up in my neighborhood :D Gulf of Mexico is sending up some releif. Florida sure needs it!!!!

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:48 pm

determine the amount of holes in the windscreen
Hmm.. by watching the flame?

I want to make a cone-shaped windscreen myself. I was thinking of having holes on one side only, so if there is a stiff breeze the flame would stay under the pot.

In fact, it seems everywhere I hike has a stiff breeze. I hike in the high mountains.

I did get the fuel, finally. I found S-L-X denatured alcohol at Lowes.

I found MSR white gas at REI.

All I need is a little sunshine, here in Oregon, for the camera.

I never made a video before. I am as eager as you to see it.

I found out my reasonably inexpensive older Canon point-and-shoot will make a video.

I had to upgrade the SD-card to 6X minimum "high speed" and it works!

I am going to use 2 Cups 50 F water, in above 40-50 F weather for the comparison because so many stoves online are compared at those specifications.

Then, when I get some cold weather, I am going to make a video comparing S-L-X denatured alcohol (over 32 F) and "yellow label" Heet (under 32 F) which should give the best results, according to what I read over at White Blaze forum. I will run both at either temperature. Of course, I will run the white gas version of the Super Stove temperature performance comparison, as well.

I take having hot food, right now, seriously.