BudLyte Super Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
DarenN

Re: BudLyte Super Stove

Post by DarenN » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:29 pm

realityguy wrote: I guess with a wick system and no inner pool,it can't be too dangerous..
i'll never forget the destructive explosion i got from a Pepsi-G burner on white-gas. 8-)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:41 pm

The "Cobalt" made with a mountain dew bottle is the ultimate in fuel testing stoves.. It scares me when some of the more volital fuels have been tested. Makes loud noises and would take flight if the jets were on one side only :D I keep a safe distance once it's lit. I don't recommend anyone do the things I do. This comment will self destruct in 24hrs.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:42 pm

The budlyte won't build up pressure like an enclosed popcan stove..I just thought it might be interesting to boost your fuel of heet a tad when you are expecting very cold temperatures..say 10%..see if it'll work better below that freezing point.A person could carry a small bottle(lightweight) of an ounce or two,when you needed a little kickstart for making your coffee in the freezing morning..or you can wait forever,or pack two stoves..or?
I don't really have time at the moment for stove testing.I have one stove I'm going to modify a tad to burn a bit hotter by raising the pot level, but one of my own design.other than that,I have too many other projects going on at the moment.Stoves are getting put on the side burner..or "side" of the garage... :mrgreen:
I just wondered if the testers on here had tried that mix,that's all.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:43 pm

Also..I imagine there is a lot of "mixed fuel" testing in third world countries..If it burns ,USE IT!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:45 pm

realityguy wrote:I'm assuming if it was a hotter product with a mixture of the two..someone would have already patented it as "Ultra Fuel".. ;) That's almost as dangerous as using gasoline in aluminum stoves!..don't ya think? :lol: Let me know what happens when you get your first meltdown!... :mrgreen: I guess with a wick system and no inner pool,it can't be too dangerous..
The Super Stove can handle most everything in 1/2oz increments or less. I've burned everything and anything in open wick stoves.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:09 pm

I've burned everything and anything in open wick stoves.
Nope..sounds like you haven't burned the "mix"... :lol:

brooklynkayak

Post by brooklynkayak » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Has anyone tried alcohol in the white gas modified stove?
I suspect it works, but take longer to boil.

Would it be less efficient than the standard alcohol version when using alcohol?

I'm thinking of modifying mine because of the extra BTU's per ounce that white gas has, but I'd like to be able to fall back to alcohol when necessary.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
-- H. S. Thompson

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:29 pm

brooklynkayak wrote:Has anyone tried alcohol in the white gas modified stove?

Would it be less efficient than the standard alcohol version when using alcohol?

I'm thinking of modifying mine because of the extra BTU's per ounce that white gas has, but I'd like to be able to fall back to alcohol when necessary.
I tried denatured in it and it burns slow in 20 degree temperatures. Warmer temp might make it burn faster once it warms up a little. I tested mine on top of my cast iron table saw, everything was cooooold.

White gas sure does work well in it as far as fuel per 2 cup boil.

brooklynkayak

Post by brooklynkayak » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:49 am

Yes, I'm very interested in the white gas mod and will probably do it once I use up my gallon of denatured:-)

Zelph, when you say alcohol burns slow after the mod, what would you figure at 20 degrees, twice as long to boil two cups or longer?

I guess a pot stand would work to raise the pot up to the original height when using alcohol?
zelph wrote:
brooklynkayak wrote:Has anyone tried alcohol in the white gas modified stove?

I tried denatured in it and it burns slow in 20 degree temperatures. Warmer temp might make it burn faster once it warms up a little. I tested mine on top of my cast iron table saw, everything was cooooold.

White gas sure does work well in it as far as fuel per 2 cup boil.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
-- H. S. Thompson

David@Whiteblaze

Post by David@Whiteblaze » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:15 pm

stevebo wrote:I havnt tried it, but I read somewhere that if you ad a bit of salt to to your fuel, it makes the flames visable. Its worth a try! I love the stove, great design! :D
On the right is Heet (yellow Bottle) in the bottom part of a Venom Bottle (comparable to a bud bottle) on the left is Heet (yellow Bottle again) with about 1/2 t of table salt added in the bottom half of a coke can.
Attachments
Stove 3.JPG
Stove 1.JPG
Stove 2.JPG