Ring Of Fire Stove AKA Doodah Man Special

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Re: Ring Of Fire Stove AKA Doodah Man Special

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:25 pm

Boiled 2 cups in 21 min. using 3/4 oz. HEET :D

I;m trying various flame patterns. One of them was rappid release of fuel causing incomplete burn, the smell made my nose burn somthing awful. Maybe that what you were smelling Ridgerunner in reference to the post you made in the Muffin Ring discussion :D

Progress is slow, had to vacate the kitchen before the evictor gets home :mrgreen:

The good news is the downdraft feature is working just fine. Now comes the fine tuning :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

freeradical

Post by freeradical » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:43 pm

Hey Zelph, I've been studying the Ring of Fire stove/concept for a few days and I'm wondering: would this design work at all with a Heine can wrapped with fiberglass wick between the shoulders, a la Tinny's blog? Initially my guess would be that:
A) The FB covering a large portion of the can's sidewalls would obstruct necessary heat transfer.
B) The flame climbing right over the FB would heat it up (or even burn it) which would completely negate the purpose of insulated gripping.

But . . . maybe I'm assuming the flame goes higher than it really does. Have you done any testing on this?

The reason I'm intrigued by the ROF stove (probably the same as everyone) is that in addition to being very fuel-efficient and simple, it is VERY stable and fuses 2 pieces (stove and pot-stand) into 1. Any idea how I can get the same characteristics out of a stove that makes better use of heating a pot's bottom instead of the sides (i.e. that I could use with a FB-wrapped heine) ? I'm racking my brain.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:25 pm

freeradical wrote:Hey Zelph, I've been studying the Ring of Fire stove/concept for a few days and I'm wondering: would this design work at all with a Heine can wrapped with fiberglass wick between the shoulders, a la Tinny's blog? Initially my guess would be that:
A) The FB covering a large portion of the can's sidewalls would obstruct necessary heat transfer.
B) The flame climbing right over the FB would heat it up (or even burn it) which would completely negate the purpose of insulated gripping.

But . . . maybe I'm assuming the flame goes higher than it really does. Have you done any testing on this?

The reason I'm intrigued by the ROF stove (probably the same as everyone) is that in addition to being very fuel-efficient and simple, it is VERY stable and fuses 2 pieces (stove and pot-stand) into 1. Any idea how I can get the same characteristics out of a stove that makes better use of heating a pot's bottom instead of the sides (i.e. that I could use with a FB-wrapped heine) ? I'm racking my brain.

I done all you said it all on here some where some time not sure when make a viedo of it all
Man play with fire man get burnt

freeradical

Post by freeradical » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:52 pm

Oops--can you tell me more? Your post didn't really clear anything up for me.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:32 pm

Well lets see if i can say it the flames dont got that hi to touch the fiber glass.Now if you take a round altoids can or shoe polish can put some type of wick in it and a cross pice 3/4 hi or 1 in. hi you can put a pot on or a heineken can.
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:24 pm

freeradical wrote:Hey Zelph, I've been studying the Ring of Fire stove/concept for a few days and I'm wondering: would this design work at all with a Heine can wrapped with fiberglass wick between the shoulders, a la Tinny's blog? Initially my guess would be that:

The fiberglass negates the ability of the pot to absorb through it's sides. I recently wrapped a heiny can with 1/16 dia. fiberglass wick to test it's ability to act as a pot grabber and it failed my test. I did'nt test for boil time comparisons to one without the wrap. I'll try and do that in the next 2 or 3 days.

Rack your brain no more!!!!!! :D The DIY "Fancy Feast stove is perfect for heating the bottom of a Heineken pot. Check out the thread on that one. Skids makes the PMS Stove that is super on the bottoms of Heinys(that sounds funny) :D

Hope this helps.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:27 pm

I added more air intake openings to give me a total of 50 percent more incoming air and increased the amount of exposed wick by 50 percent also. The results were encouraging. It decreased boiling time by 1/2. It now boils 2 cups in 11 min. I wish all things worked out that well. I also was able to heat an addition 2 cups of water by turning the lid of the canister upside down on the top of the canister while the water inside the canister bottom was heating(see photo). The additional 2 cups of water got to 120 degrees. Stick a tea bag in there while it's heating and have a warm cup of tea while your Ramen is rehydrating :D

Edited to ad photo: Image

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:06 pm

I'm curious as to why the Ring of Fire works as well as it does. The flames never touch the bottom of the stove, only the sides. I did a test with a smoke rope to watch the smoke travel up the sides of the pot. One way was elevating the stove and the other was flat on the table top. I wanted to see if there was a difference in patterns. View the video and make comments if you wish.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:02 am

It appears as if the smoke is drawn into the flame going up the side of the can and follows the same path, adhering close to the cans body!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:17 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:It appears as if the smoke is drawn into the flame going up the side of the can and follows the same path, adhering close to the cans body!

Yes, the entire circumfrence of the pot is being heated evenly. Begining with its base and proceeding upward the entire height of the pot. Very unique and interesting design even if I do say so myself ;) I have another video in process that shows it burning Isopropyl 91 alcohol cleanly, no soot. The reason I stopped making these stoves available on ebay and elseware was due to family matters. All stove activity came to a trickle. This stove will again be produced early in 2010 and be made available.

The video complete and available.