The StarLyte Alcohol Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

The StarLyte Alcohol Stove

Postby zelph » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:46 pm

The full story of the StarLyte alcohol stove can be seen on the Whiteblaze.net website: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18383

Over at Whiteblaze there are three users of the Starlyte stove. They are the The Dynamic Threesome :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dynamic Threesome, Matthewski, Stonewall and JohnnyThunder, came up with a sugggestion. a gromet in the center of the cloth to aid in spill proofing the filling process.

I thought their idea had merit. I tried it today in between toits and first impression says it may work out very nicely.

I'd like all that have used their StarLytes to post some feedback here so I can make any improvements before I go back into offering them on ebay.

The fuel capacity is 1 ounce. Pour it in and it won't spill out. Those of you that drink your everclear and use it for fuel take note. Be safe, use a StarLyte Stove

Here is what a movie looks like of the gromet modified StarLyte:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yQvKFl4M3I

Here is a photo:

To the Dynamic Threesome, thank you for the great idea!!!!

Sometime in the near future I'll make the StarLyte and other stoves available here in the cottage industries forum. For now I need to spend more time with my family.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Re: The StarLyte Alcohol Stove

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:26 pm

I was pressured into showing what was under the fiberglass cloth by a member of Whiteblaze :D

I'll share that with everyone here. It's jam packed with fuel absorbing stuff. :mrgreen:

rat44

Postby rat44 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:46 pm

Zelph, are you still making StarLytes to sell? If so, need info please.

Thanks!

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:31 pm

rat44 wrote:Zelph, are you still making StarLytes to sell? If so, need info please.

Thanks!
Hi rat44. Yes, I'll have them available this comming Tuesday. I'll be making availabe the burners only. I have not finalised a price yet. It's gonna be a good deal though :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:11 pm

zelph wrote:
rat44 wrote:Zelph, are you still making StarLytes to sell? If so, need info please.

Thanks!
Hi rat44. Yes, I'll have them available this comming Tuesday. I'll be making availabe the burners only. I have not finalised a price yet. It's gonna be a good deal though :D

"StarLyte" burners are available now in "Zelphs Stove Central"

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:53 pm

Recently received this communication from Sweetpeastu:

Hey Zelph, I just wanted to praise your Starlyte stove again! I used it this past weekend up at Dolly Sods, WV in the snow. The thing worked like a charm. Never having used an alchohol stove before, I didn't know what to expect in the cold temps. It was great. In fact, my friend is so impressed he wants one.
Could I purchase another one from you, please? My buddy wants one for x-mas!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for mailin it. That was fast!
Oh one other question, does the Starlyte burner have a life expectancy? I just wondered how long you've been burning yours...theres nothin wrong with the stove, I was just wondering.
I don't believe I've ever been so excited about a stove before "

(Printed with permission from Sweetpeastu)

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:02 pm

Zelph Thanks for the StarLyte Stove! I Followed your fill instructions you gave in the other post. I filled it with 1oz of fuel and used my heinipot. I used your stand you sent with it it took a little coersing but it fit in the round bottom of the heinipot by setting it up in a triangle. The Starlyte stove fit perfectly center under the heinipot. I filled my heinipot with 2 cups of 53*F. I then lit the stove and did not use a wind screen as I tested on top of my kitchen stove. room temperature 69*F. The stove started to make pot noise after 4 and a half minutes. The water came to a full rolling boil at 7 minutes and continued to boitl for 3 minutes then the stove kicked down and simmered for a minute before dying down and burning out in the following minute. My over all evaluation is that you are a stove God and this thing is awesome! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

rat44

Postby rat44 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:07 pm

Hey Zelph, I have a StarLyte coming from you, and would like to know what you have found to be the optimum height for the potstand.

Thanks!

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:04 pm

rat44 wrote:Hey Zelph, I have a StarLyte coming from you, and would like to know what you have found to be the optimum height for the potstand.

Thanks!

Make your pot stand two inches high. That height works great. Make it a 3 piece folding one that lays flat in storage. It will fit nice in the altoid tins as shown in the photos.

Thanks for your interest in the StarLyte.

AlwaysHiking

Postby AlwaysHiking » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:22 pm

Got my StarLytes this week. Great little stoves. It was pretty cold this weekend, OK, VA calls it cold, but other areas of the country might laugh at us!

Here's the test results.

First test was with the modified grommet StarLyte. Air temp 34 degrees. 2 Cups water, temp 69.8 in heine pot. Used hardware cloth pot stand shipped with the stoves. Stove was sitting in snow with 1oz of denatured alcohol.

StarLyte lit right up, no problems even sitting directly in snow. With windscreen in place, 1oz fuel burned out in 8 minutes before boil, water temp at 149.5 degrees. Added 2nd ounce and re-lit. Rolling boil with water temp fluctuating between 211.5 & 212 degrees reached in 6 minutes on the 2nd oz and continued to boil for another 6 minutes until burn out.

Second test with standard StarLyte. Air temp 24 degrees. 2 Cups water, temp 62.2 in heine pot, again with pot stand shipped from Zelph. Used 1oz denatured alcohol. Stove sitting on concrete slab/patio.

Again, StarLyte lit up with no problems. With windscreen in place, flareups at 3 minutes, bubbles rising at 7 min, and burn out at 10 minutes. Final water temp was 190.5 degrees. Definitely warm enough to cook dehydrated foods with, but never reached a boil.

These results don't seem very consistent with other posted results. I'm thinking my windscreen might be the cause of this??? Used heavy duty foil, 4.75 inches high and 5 inch diameter. The first night I didn't have any holes punched in the screen but added them the 2nd night. Holes placed around the screen at the height of the stove because I thought I might be choking it the first time. But maybe the holes caused the flareups the 2nd time, not sure, but it was burning too hot and melting the screen. The hardware cloth was glowing orange. I usually use pan liners for a screen, but start with foil until I work out the right size for new stoves.

Any tips on how to get better results?

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”