The StarLyte Alcohol Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
russb

Re: The StarLyte Alcohol Stove

Post by russb » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:07 am

Used the Starlyte with temps below 7*F. Lit right up... photos here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=398&start=10#p3267

AlwaysHiking

Post by AlwaysHiking » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:28 am

Did another test inside this morning. 1/2 oz. denatured alcohol had a burn time of 8 minutes but 2 cups in heine pot still did not reach a boil. Air was 68 degrees, and water was 73.4. Final water temp was 168.5. No windscreen used but I think it still burned too hot and I again had flareups at 3 minutes.

168.5 is perfectly fine for cooking dehydrated foods, but why am I not getting a boil like other people are, especially indoors... ??

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:36 am

AlwaysHiking wrote:Did another test inside this morning. 1/2 oz. denatured alcohol had a burn time of 8 minutes but 2 cups in heine pot still did not reach a boil. Air was 68 degrees, and water was 73.4. Final water temp was 168.5. No windscreen used but I think it still burned too hot and I again had flareups at 3 minutes.

168.5 is perfectly fine for cooking dehydrated foods, but why am I not getting a boil like other people are, especially indoors... ??

Are you using the furnished pot stand or did you make a different one?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday was a fine day to do a cold weather test on the ignition of cold alcohol in the Fancy Feast and the Starlyte

The thermometer registered 4 degrees brrrr!!!!!

All went well for both stoves.

The FancyFeast starts up a liitle slower than the StarLyte because of the small amount of wick surface showing.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

AlwaysHiking

Post by AlwaysHiking » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:20 pm

zelph wrote:
AlwaysHiking wrote:Did another test inside this morning. 1/2 oz. denatured alcohol had a burn time of 8 minutes but 2 cups in heine pot still did not reach a boil. Air was 68 degrees, and water was 73.4. Final water temp was 168.5. No windscreen used but I think it still burned too hot and I again had flareups at 3 minutes.

Using the one you sent me. One thing I did notice is in one of the posts, don't know if it was here or on WB, you mentioned a 2" pot stand, but this one measures at 1.75". Thank that makes a difference? I can try some tests at 2".

I'm also going to play around some more with the windscreen.

I really do love these stoves, I'm just trying to get the best fuel performance out of them I can and I think right now I'm doing something wrong.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:24 pm

AlwaysHiking wrote:
zelph wrote:

Using the one you sent me. One thing I did notice is in one of the posts, don't know if it was here or on WB, you mentioned a 2" pot stand, but this one measures at 1.75". Thank that makes a difference? I can try some tests at 2".

I'm also going to play around some more with the windscreen.

I really do love these stoves, I'm just trying to get the best fuel performance out of them I can and I think right now I'm doing something wrong.

I'll be able to do some testing on the 1.75 stand as I have one with me while I'm out and about away from home and my test garage :D

I'm not able to go any further tonight on posting, must leave the library and wonrt be back till tomorrow.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:32 pm

For the new year the "StarLyte" has gone into a weight reduction mode.

It has now become a complete stove, having a built-in stainless steel potstand.

The total weight of the stove has been reduced down to 13 grams or
0.458561 oz

Fuel capacity is still 1 ounce/30ml

These complete "StarLyte" stoves will be made available next week.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:31 pm

by zelph on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:32 pm

0.458561 oz

Zelph, I like your new pot stand but does it interfer with the inverted Alky filling method using the measuring cup ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:46 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
by zelph on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:32 pm

0.458561 oz

Zelph, I like your new pot stand but does it interfer with the inverted Alky filling method using the measuring cup ?

Yes it do!!!! I'll post a new method this coming week with a little movie. :)

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:11 am

It almost looks as if the measuring cup could still slide under the potstand. If not, maybe if the stand was another 1/8" tall---doubt if it would change performance that much :?:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:49 pm

Hi Zelph,

very nice design work, have you tried a three leg stand.

Tony