The StarLyte Alcohol Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
cruiser

Re: The StarLyte Alcohol Stove

Postby cruiser » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:27 pm

You know how sometimes what you think is going to happen .... doesn't?

Today I took my brand new lovingly christmas-gifted Starlyte (to replace the last one I destroyed) and I hacked a hole right in the center.
I was convinced a center draft hole would provide a slew of benefits: More air, eliminate the center cold spot, directed forceful updraft, maybe even a swirling effect if I added a diffuser or crimped in the right places.

So I went to work:

I left the center hole surface area bare while covering the top surface area...
I left the top surface area bare while covering the circumference of the hole ...
I left it all bare ...
I left it all bare with a spaced diffuser over the top (idea being to leave a mixing chamber/gap underneath) ...
I left just the top bare with a directed diffuser over just the draft hole (to force the up-drafted air to flow along the top surface area ) ...

In conclusion ... the Starlyte does not benefit from a center draft hole. LOL.
All the burns were orange and sooty with that "oh man, I screwed this up" smell permeating the shed.

I'm gonna keep playing tomorrow with a few final ideas, but the end result to any that might be interested ... I'll be ordering a new Starlyte sometime soon.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:08 pm

If it was raised up 1/4" of the ground it should have created a dual flame effect which looks really cool :D

Let me see if I can find a link....be back.

here is the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4

sample of what it should look like

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:51 pm

Okay. Yeah. I was getting that "cone inside a cone" effect with one of my numerous variations, but instead of a nice even blue flame the top was licking yellow and orange. Maybe I need to play some more varying the size of my donut hole. I figured I was either adding too much air, or blowing the available fuel too far away from the heat of the combustion zone.

Maybe I won't give up just yet. More playing tomorrow ... And I'll add pics. Didn't happen without pics.

(BTW, did you come up with an easy way to evenly fill your referenced stove?)

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:19 am

The yellow/orange color is probably temporary due to hacking the hole through the absorbing material.

I used a 4 ounce fuel bottle with low volume dispense nozzle to fill burner. I think the photo was one made with tealite candle tins. I'll have to read the thread and look at all the photos. There is also a solid aluminum dual flame stove that was machined in Australia by "tony" 4-5 years ago.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:50 am

I came across this video today, interesting way to make it simmer:

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”