Kmart Grease Pot Supportscreen DIY 03/09/2007

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Kmart Grease Pot Supportscreen DIY 03/09/2007

Post by zelph » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:22 pm

Here's how to make a windscreen pot support for a Kmart Grease Pot.

First, here are some photos of what it looks like and the method of holding it closed.

First photo

Second photo Photos have been added in the post below.
Third photo

The next few photos are of the drawing that I made in order to make a template which in turn I put onto a sheet of aluminum flashing that needs to be 10 inches wide by 26 inches long. I then traced around the pattern and then cut the alluminum flashing. I added an extra inch to the length of mine to overlap and secure the ends. The photos show the exact sizes.

I chose the dimensions that would give me the height of the stand by using the dimensions of the burner( 1 1/2 inch high) and then chose to have a 2 inch air space between top of burner and the bottom of the pot. The pot is 3 inches high. Those dimensions added together is what determins the height of the potstand, which comes out to 6 1/2 inches high.

You can design your own custom stand to fit whatever pot you have that has a lip around the top of it. Follow the above format.

1st photo

2nd photo

3rd photo

4th photo

Materials needed::

1 sheet poster board 22 x 28 available at Kmart

1 piece of wood 3/4" x 3/4" x 26" to be used to draw 2 arcs (one will be a 15 1/8" inch radius and the other will be a 21 5/8" radius) Use 2 finishing nails that are 2 inches long, pund them in or put them into a cordless drill and drill them in. Put the nail in the chuck just as you would a drill bit, and drill it through the center of the stick in the appropriate place according to the dimensions given.

1 tape measure or yardstick

1 pair sheet metal cutters

1 piece aluminum flashing material 10" x 26"

Drill and drill bit for your hole preference air in and out and closure

Look at the drawings whenever in doubt.

The letters "A" and "B" give dimensions for diameter of pot under it's extended rim(5 3/8") and the diameter of the base(7 3/4") of the pot holder (this dimension I chose. I wanted it to be 1 1/4 inches larger on each side of the pot to give good stability and room at the top for exhaust holes to be away from sides of pot)

Draw a verticle line thru the center of poster board(short dimension). Where it touches the bottom of the board is where you start your measurements. First the hight of your burner, then the air space you want between top of burner and bottom of pot and then the height of your pot.

In my drawing you can see the dimensions given for the diameter of potstand base and pot. Look to see where the arrows point to. Starting at the bottom where letter "B" points to, draw a line up through the point shown by letter "A" and extend it on up till it crosses over the center line at the top of drawing. That pivot point is marked "X" and also with red circle

The red lines show the arcs to be drawn. 15 1/8" radius and 21 5/8" radius

"X" marks the spot where it crosses over the center line. That is where your arcs are drawn from, pivot point. The first arc to draw is 15 1/8 inches from that pivot point to the top of the pot (shown by small red circle on top of pot)

The second arc is 21 5/8" from pivot point to bottom of BURNER (shown by red circle)

The circumfrence of the 5 3/8 pot diameter is 16 7/8"

The circumfrence of the 7 3/4" potstand base is 24 3/8"

The circumfrence of a circle is found by multiplying the diameter by 3.14

Next thing to do is mark off in one inch increments on the large arc (24 3/8") Begining from the centerline at the base of the burner mark off 12 3/16 inches to the right. Now go back to the centerline and mark off 12 3/16" to the left. These 1" increments are made on the arc line(reminder)

Now draw a line from the 12 3/16" mark all the way up to the pivot point(X marks the spot, also circled in red at the top of drawing). Now do the same for the other side of the arc. Where those lines cross over the smaller arc(15 1/8" radius) shows where your cut lines will be to determine the length of the potstand. At this point you can add an additional inch or so to its length for overlapping when assembling.

Cut the shape out of the posterboard, curl it around your pot and make sure it fits before you transfere the shape to your flashing materal.

I hope the photos explain better than my instructions.

I'm not satisfyed with the fastening system I used on my initial stand. Your input to different systems would be appreciated by all. Thank You

If you see any errors in my instructions please send me a private message and also post it for all to see incase I'm not here fast enough to make the change. Thank You

If all efforts fail and would still like to make your own, I can send you a paper copy to make a rigid pattern using posterboard. At least 1 week has to pass by before I honor that offer, that'll give you time to try

While I was daydreaming of nice weather and stoves I had an idea, went to the hardware store and bought some of these HOLE PLUGS. They are made of steel and are heavily nickle plated.

Photo of HOLE PLUGS Note!!!! Rock head side to side to get special effects

Next photo shows inserted into potstand

This one shows same, inserted in potstand

When the potstand is pulled apart by the little part sticking out, the plugs remain fastened to the stand. Very very nice, I like it.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hiker5

Re: Kmart Grease Pot Supportscreen DIY 03/09/2007

Post by hiker5 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:42 am

There don't seem to be any photos.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:47 am

hiker5 wrote:There don't seem to be any photos.
Oooops, work in process, will get them transfered and will direct you to the secondary source.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:58 pm

At last!!!!!

Here are photos that belong with the thread:

Image .005 anodised aluminum used on this one and was made for a 2 cup aluminum cup from Big Lots.

english stu

Post by english stu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:17 am

Hi
I made a cone screen from Zelphs instructions and used a triangia stove - the whole thing more economical on fuel than my alchy stove set up, screen came out at 4oz so with right aluminium it would be lighter.I made it with the oriental closure as well .I don't know the grade of my aluminium its not high strength would it ever melt or will it deteriorate with use ? Also I have tried it with a solid fuel/twig fire and that works ok .

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:01 pm

english stu wrote:Hi
I made a cone screen from Zelphs instructions and used a triangia stove - the whole thing more economical on fuel than my alchy stove set up, screen came out at 4oz so with right aluminium it would be lighter.I made it with the oriental closure as well .I don't know the grade of my aluminium its not high strength would it ever melt or will it deteriorate with use ? Also I have tried it with a solid fuel/twig fire and that works ok .
You are the first to report back with You Did It Yourself feedback. Thank You English Stu!!!!

Once you have a pattern made for the cone you can re-use if the aluminum starts to deteriorate.

I would think there is insuficient oxygen for a wood fire. They like lots of it :D

The formula should work well with all diameter pots. I had a thought recently about the base diameter of the cone. The more it is spread out the better it may work.
I recently had someone ask me some questions on the formula for finding the angles that the lines intersect. That person puchased two Caldera Cone systems, two different sizes. He has a favorite mess kit that he wants to make a cone to fit the pot in that kit. He will make one to fit.

Recent talk on WB gave me some insight on the design of the burner used in the Caldera system. The fuel resevoir is surrounded by an insulating jacket(aluminum can with holes) which prevents excessive heating of the fuel.

I think any slow burning burner would work in the cone shaped windscreen/potstand.

My problem is not staying with a particular stove design untill it has been pushed to the max. :)

Thanks again for the feedback.

Zelph

english stu

Post by english stu » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:27 pm

Hi .Thanks for the comments.I have used a Trangia stove and a Penny stove in my cone set up -both work ok.I found the penny stove lighter and a bit quicker so I might use that-I have used the Trangia simmer ring on it.I note that in the design details of the Penny stove it cautions against reflecting too much heat back to the stove or the penny lifts and fuel can spray out;I reckon reflection might happen more with cone than with a usual wind screen. I suppose I could put the stove in a tuna can or foil to stop some of the reflection. Just wondered what you thought and had experienced.The cone sides are 1 and 3/4 inches from the stove sides.Thanks

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:11 pm

english stu wrote:Hi .Thanks for the comments.I have used a Trangia stove and a Penny stove in my cone set up -both work ok.I found the penny stove lighter and a bit quicker so I might use that-I have used the Trangia simmer ring on it.I note that in the design details of the Penny stove it cautions against reflecting too much heat back to the stove or the penny lifts and fuel can spray out;I reckon reflection might happen more with cone than with a usual wind screen. I suppose I could put the stove in a tuna can or foil to stop some of the reflection. Just wondered what you thought and had experienced.The cone sides are 1 and 3/4 inches from the stove sides.Thanks
It's interesting to hear that other burners work well with the cone design. The caldera cone makers say only their burner works with the caldera. There are too many variables in stoves . Diameter of burner plus amount and size of holes that vapor come out off. Distance of pot to top of buner etc.

Confining a burner inside a windscreen without proper incoming air and exit holes will cause overheating problems. I have experimented with a small "Ion" design burner confined in a glass "Lantern Globe" so I could see what went on during the heating process. There was only 1/4 inch clearance around the outside of the pot as recommended and the burner was on a cork insulated surface to prevent heat loss through the bottom of the burner. The burner overheated, flames coud not pass up and out because of the small area between glass windscreen and sides of pot. The burner was surrounded with flame that extended down to the cork surface that the burner was on causing the cork to catch on fire. (Many shelter floors probably have the same type burn pattern because of the very same thing happening)

At the time I designed a cone potsupport/windscreen there was talk of the Caldera Cone and all the hooplah surrounding it. I wanted to see if I could use some basic design principals to make it into a DIY project for myself and others. Once the cone is made to fit your own preferences then the fine tuning comes into play. Stick with your favorite stove burner and build to suit it. Add more holes, extend the sides of the cone outward more at it's base? Trial and error makes for an interesting DIY stove project.

I've only tested my kmart grease pot cone 2 times. It held the pot up and the burner stayed lit through the half ounce of fuel. Water did not boil, got it steaming hot. It needs more trial and error. :D

Nightwalker

Post by Nightwalker » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:34 am

zelph wrote:It's interesting to hear that other burners work well with the cone design. The caldera cone makers say only their burner works with the caldera.
They may say that now, but they told me in May of '06 that the main qualification was a stove that burned for 10 minutes on 1/2 ounce of alcohol under the cone.

Actually, Tin Man was being told, I was just in the background and heard it. :)
Just Hike!

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:10 pm

Nightwalker wrote:
zelph wrote:It's interesting to hear that other burners work well with the cone design. The caldera cone makers say only their burner works with the caldera.
They may say that now, but they told me in May of '06 that the main qualification was a stove that burned for 10 minutes on 1/2 ounce of alcohol under the cone.

Actually, Tin Man was being told, I was just in the background and heard it. :)
Interesting update, thanks Nightwalker. I've seen it said on WB also by one of it's users. The one poster said it boiled 2 cups in 3.5 min. I'm impressed :)