Kmart Grease Pot Supportscreen DIY 03/09/2007

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
bmike

Re: Kmart Grease Pot Supportscreen DIY 03/09/2007

Post by bmike » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:54 am

zelph wrote:Bmike, thanks for the headsup. I'll do a retake on the drawing and see what you refer to :) Hmmmmmm!!interesting.

Skids makes it sound a lot easier with the lamp shades :geek:

i think i found an error in my math - but i have a CAD solution to this so i can solve it graphically...

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:00 pm

This cone calculator might be of help to some that are tinkering with making a cone shaped windscreen/potholder.

By plugging in dimensions to suite your pot and burner height you can get an idea of how large a piece of material would be needed to make your choice of cone. And also the radius to swing the arc. A set of trammel points would be used to swing large arcs or even a string with nail attached at one end and a pencil at the other.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/antti.lusila/mod ... artio.html

Trammel Points for wood working: http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/inde ... d=ST-TP.XX
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:06 pm

Sweet find Zelph!

What a timesaver!
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:10 pm

Skidsteer wrote:Sweet find Zelph!

What a timesaver!
I've been plugging in some numbers and it really works easy. I saw a link toit over on backpackinglight, they have a thread on the Heiny size cone. I'll see if i can get a link and post it in the pimpin heiny thread :D

Edited: Mark Hurd over at Backpackinglight has an informative threadthat tells how to make a cone shaped potholder/windscreen combination for the Heineken pot. Take a LQQK see.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:36 pm

While doing some cleaning in my garage I came across this stainless steel hood that's made to fit all candle style lanterns of the type shown in one of the photos. The hood reflects the candles light downward.

The way it fastens to gether might give some of you an idea to incorporate the fastening system into a 2 piece cone pot support/windscreen.

Side view showing undercut of the brass pin/pad
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:05 pm

zelph wrote:This cone calculator might be of help to some that are tinkering with making a cone shaped windscreen/potholder.
http://www.kolumbus.fi/antti.lusila/mod ... artio.html

I found this cone calculator software called cone layout this last winter. I guess it costs money but it'll work for 21 days if you don't buy it. It'll create PDFs for you to print out and does angled openings and stuff.

Thanks for the link to the online one!
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:40 pm

some while ago i posted a pictorial on cone layout, the old fashioned way, by hand. to me, useing a computer for something as simple as a cone is like swatting flies with a truck. :D i'll add a link if i can find it.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:46 pm

DarenN wrote:some while ago i posted a pictorial on cone layout, the old fashioned way, by hand. to me, useing a computer for something as simple as a cone is like swatting flies with a truck. :D i'll add a link if i can find it.
found it!

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=569

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:00 pm

DarenN wrote:
DarenN wrote:some while ago i posted a pictorial on cone layout, the old fashioned way, by hand. to me, useing a computer for something as simple as a cone is like swatting flies with a truck. :D i'll add a link if i can find it.
found it!

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=569

Daren.......
Mine are in color and show the pot and burner :mrgreen:

That goofy white dot kept on getting in there :(

SSGHawk

Re: Kmart Grease Pot Supportscreen UPDATE

Post by SSGHawk » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:11 pm

I have been gone for so many years that I could not remember my user name or password. Administrator just set me back up. It is inspirational to see all of the great things that have been done in my absence. You guys are really something.
Years ago I wanted to make a Kmart pot stand like this for alcohol stove purposes only. BUT I also wanted to add the conceptual thinking of the whirlwind windscreen. About that time I picked up an Olicamp XTS Heat Transfer 1 liter pot. THEN... things jelled in my little accountant's (engineer want to be ) brain that I needed to force the exhaust to swirl around the pot by making some sort of blockage attached either to the pot or the windscreen that swirled like a set of screw threads.

My goal was to use the whirlwind windscreen to start the swirl, the Olicamp XTS Pot configuration to continue the swirl and my forced exhaust swirl to continue trying to suck out all of the heat from the exhaust gas.

That was all years ago and I never got a chance to follow through...Surprise.
So refreshing my knowledge by going back through many old post I have re-learned the following:
Minimum space between pot and outer-stand needs to be in the 1/4-3/8" range so to not choke off the burning.
The whirlwind windscreen tests indicated that a cone shape produces a better whirlwind burning flame with better complete burning of the fuel apparently since there is a greater distance between the air inlet holes and the flame. (Or could it be for other reasons subsequently learned?)
Some Caldura cone applications put off a smell indicating incomplete combustion apparently because of insufficient inlet air holes.

So here are my questions.
Do we still believe since 2007 that the whirlwind flame is beneficial and is primarily caused by the distance between the flame and the air inlet.
Has anyone tested forced swirling of the exhaust gas, and if so, does it produce a noticeable benefit.
How have you caused the forced swirling of the exhaust?
Is there a formula to determine the number of, or part of, revolutions around the pot that the exhaust gases should be forced? (It seemed to me that as long as the final exhaust heat temperature is higher than the ambient temperature that you still are transferring the heat the proper direction- to rather than away from the pot.)
Do I assume correctly that once the exhaust gas moves up the pot sides that turbulence is a good thing?
Has there been any testing done to test the effectiveness of insulation on the outside of the outer pot stand such as carbon fiber fabric to reduce the heat loss to outside wind/ambient temperature?

Thanks for your help folks.
regards from Texas
Paul