Kmart Grease Pot Supportscreen DIY 03/09/2007

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
OleSlo

Re: Kmart Grease Pot Supportscreen DIY 03/09/2007

Post by OleSlo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:32 pm

Zelph, you are the greatest. I saw the plan you posted for sale for this supportscreen and which you immediatly followed with a free version. I surmise most of the values can be changed to accomodate various dimensions of stoves, etc. My question is how do you arrive at the optimum distance between stove top and pot bottom? It seems that would vary with the diameter of the stove.

You are close to having me hooked.

Ole Slo

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:15 pm

OleSlo wrote:Zelph, you are the greatest. I saw the plan you posted for sale for this supportscreen and which you immediatly followed with a free version. I surmise most of the values can be changed to accomodate various dimensions of stoves, etc. My question is how do you arrive at the optimum distance between stove top and pot bottom? It seems that would vary with the diameter of the stove.

Ole Slo
In the beggining it was trial and error. When the burner is at the correct height it smells different than when it's not. How the flame looks under the pot color wise and shape.

The thing that I made to raise and lower a pot above the burner, the thing I named flame-O-Meter, helps alot to determin the distance by visually seeing the flame pattern under and from inside of the glass pot. It is easily raised up and down. Once it looks good the burner is removed , flames snuffed out and put back under the pot to take a measurement.

When I first posted these drawings and info on Whiteblaze I offered free full sized copies to all that wanted one. Nobody wanted one and that meant all were going to make one on their own. Made me feel my time was well spent. since then I've gone the way of commerce. My Bad!!! Baby needs a new pair of shoes ;)

I have not tested this cone for performance. It's just a cone shaped pot support and windscreen. It was fun making and I hope to come back to it to play.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

bmike

Post by bmike » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:37 am

Made a few versions of the caldera for my snowpeak ti 700.
Have to start optimizing these things... cutting and drilling lots of metal and seeing about the same burn times.

This is v. 5 or 6.:

made another version tonight for a new stove i'm testing... more later.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:57 pm

Bmike, your hole pattern on one side of the stove is thought provoking. What have you experienced with that format?

Are your findings in favor of cone shaped pot stand windscreen combos or are you kinda neutral at this point?

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:48 pm

OleSlo wrote:Zelph, you are the greatest. I saw the plan you posted for sale for this supportscreen and which you immediatly followed with a free version. I surmise most of the values can be changed to accomodate various dimensions of stoves, etc. My question is how do you arrive at the optimum distance between stove top and pot bottom? It seems that would vary with the diameter of the stove.

Ole Slo
If you know the distance your pot needs to be from the burner. you can use this formula it should work pretty well for determining the literal metal from your top circle to your bottom circle. but you need to know how big your bottom circle is also. The main basis for this formula is A squared plus B squared equal C squared.

A is the height of your stove plus the distance between the top of your stove to the bottom of your pot plus the distance from the bottom of your pot to the bottom of the top rim of your cook pot.

B is one half the diameter of the bottom of your cone. If you don't already have this and you are starting from scratch then you can take the perimiter of your cook pot and add 2 to 3 inchest to it. by doing such: Diameter of your cook pot times pi plus 2 or 3 inches would equal the perimeter of your bottom circle now divide by pi and you would have the diameter of your bottom circle and intern divide that by two and you would have B.

To determine C you would thake A squared add B squared to equal C squared then take the square root of C and you would then know how far your first arc of your cone should be from the bottom Arc.

Did you get all that.

Bet you Zelph's method is easier though! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:09 pm

:D After a long busy day the formula causes Pure Mehem in my cranium. Grey matter is shloshed back and forth. In the AM I'll ponder and put it down on paper and see how the numbers work out. Thanks for the elevation :ugeek:

bmike

Post by bmike » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:53 pm

zelph wrote:Bmike, your hole pattern on one side of the stove is thought provoking. What have you experienced with that format?

Are your findings in favor of cone shaped pot stand windscreen combos or are you kinda neutral at this point?
neutral for sure. hadn't even thought of NOT using it as a windscreen. might increase the performance if it was getting air from all sides. hmm. :?:
i'll post pics of the latest design more in tune with a starlyte or my new FSM stove.

with the cut out for the snowpeak 700 cup and the lack of holes on the back side i've been placing my stove slightly off center in the cone... more to the cut out side seems to center the flame on the pot. haven't tested this yet 'in the wild' - so i'm not sure how it would work in the wind.

bmike

Post by bmike » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:58 pm

zelph wrote::D After a long busy day the formula causes Pure Mehem in my cranium. Grey matter is shloshed back and forth. In the AM I'll ponder and put it down on paper and see how the numbers work out. Thanks for the elevation :ugeek:
i do it graphically.
draw it out in my cad program (i fly a computer as a designer to pay the bills), print out the image at 1:1 scale, then use the image as a template.
here is a linky to a version of the cone (also posted to WB) as a pdf. it should print to 11x17. this version is too tall for a starlyte and ion. i've since widened the base, changed the hole pattern, and lowered the pot.

bmike

Post by bmike » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:15 pm

ok. been making a small mistake in my graphics... semantics of the drafting left me with chord lengths and arc lengths - and i mixed these up. in the cones i've built so far it hasn't been noticeable in the final product - but my math mind is now perplexed by this so i'm heading back to the drawing board to figure out where it goes wrong.

bmike

Post by bmike » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:58 pm

bmike wrote:ok. been making a small mistake in my graphics... semantics of the drafting left me with chord lengths and arc lengths - and i mixed these up. in the cones i've built so far it hasn't been noticeable in the final product - but my math mind is now perplexed by this so i'm heading back to the drawing board to figure out where it goes wrong.
found the problem. definitely mis understood the syntax of my cad program.
had to look up some geometry and come up with a formula for getting an arc from a radius and length.
now it is working fine...! (at least the numbers agree!)