Hybrid Side Burner alcohol stove wickatised 07/03/2007

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Hybrid Side Burner alcohol stove wickatised 07/03/2007

Postby zelph » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:35 pm

I gave some thought to making a sideburner stove. This is what I came up with.

Made with a potted meat can. Contents were removed through 1/2 inch hole in the top. That left me with a secure container to hold the fuel. No man made, JB welded seams, or rolled on a lathe with heat applied. The seam on the can is factory sealed, no leaky, strong!!!!

It has a 2 1/2 inch base (1/2 inch larger than pop can stoves)

Fuel is poured in through the 1/2 inch hole in the top and then hole is covered with attached hole cover. It's attached to the can, no loosy. Cover is low profile and seals tight. No leaky vapors.

After the fuel has been put in, the wick material immediately starts to bring fuel up and out ready to be lit.

The pot of water is then put on the stove(no pot stand required) before lighting. Once on the stove the wick material is lit. The stove starts out slow and them once it's warmed sufficiently, the stove starts to burn vapors coming out of the jets.

The stove boils 2 cups of water in 4.5 min. using 16ml of denatured alcohol.

Stove weighs 10.2 grams

What is different about this stove?

1. No primer pan required, it's self priming.

2. No do-it-yourself seams to come apart.

3. Pot can be put on before stove is lit. No wasted heat.

Photo one Attached hole cover

Photo two Pot is put put on before lighting

Photo three Wick is lit and starts heating water and stove.

Photo four Jets just starting to burn

Photo five Jets in full burn.

The stove that is pictured is the second try. The first had too many holes. From what I saw of other pressurized stoves it looked as if it was necessary to have the fuel port covered to eliminate the POP or the PFFFFT and sometimes exploding stove. That's why the cover. This stove will do the same thing without the cover. The noise is less than a stove that has a 1/4 inch threaded hole. I've made stoves using the threaded nut-sert/rivetnut and experienced the POP and the stove comming apart at the seam because of not being secured enough. If the bottom of your pot is not smooth the flames from the burning wick will find the vapors coming from under the pot and ignite them causing the PhsssstSwooosh and making your heart skip a beat. Some oldtimers can't afford those skipped beats. In the case of using larger diameter pots, the stove may have to be lit before the pot is put on. The larger diameter will not allow your matches or lighter to get close enough to light the wick. All things considered, I felt it best to use the cover.

The measurement between jets is 11/16" and I used a 1/16" drill bit.
The wick material was purchased on ebay from a candle supply store. The wick system relys strickly on capillary action to get the fuel onto the outside wick. No additional fuel need be squirted or poured onto the wick.

The hole cover for me was necessary. It's up to you to use one if you decide to make one for yourself.
The stove with cover and its retainer only weighs 10.2 grams. That puts it into the lightweight class. I don't think gram weiniers would complain about that. Knowing gram weiniers, they would yank off the cover anyhoo and say " Let her Blow!!!!

Added this note: I used this stove on a Fosters beer can. Water temp. only reached 180 degrees. Pot fits well onto stove.

There are folks out there that prefer side jet stoves. This one will fill their needs. It's the type of stove thru hikers would like, the minimalist type, the gram weinies. This one is 10 grams the ROF is 60 grams. Another group that will like this one is those that are over 55.
I named this stove TomKat. I switched to fancy feast cat food cans. There are alot of cat food can stoves out there but this one is kind of a ruffian omong the cats. It's self priming takes care of itself just like the tomcat. It'll become known as the TK

Just got finished tweeking this stove. I removed excess holes. The only ones are the ones that the wick material goes thru. I moved the wicks closer to the top. The stoves was burning on the hot side, sometimes it would boil the 2 cups and sometimes not with 1/2 ounce of fuel. As you know, these little aluminum cans heat up really easy. I switched to cat food cans to blend in with the name TomKat .

Two test burns produced 7 min. boils with 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and continued to boil for 2 min. Will do more tests tomorrow.

Was able to get some polyethelene medicine cups, they really flex to form a no miss pour spout to hit the 1/2 inch hole.

Photo it's the lighting that made the top look green

Photo measure cup

Photo measure cup
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Re: Hybrid Side Burner alcohol stove wickatised 07/03/2007

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:14 pm

Here are some reclaimed photos that belong to the stove up above:

Image Latest production version.

toddheyn

Postby toddheyn » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:56 pm

Zelph,

What do you use for the Hole Plug?

Inquiring minds want to know.
"Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:02 pm

toddheyn wrote:Zelph,

What do you use for the Hole Plug?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Can't remember the name of it. They are found in the craft stoes in the jewelry making dept. Little things are glued to that disc. The disc has a little rod welded to it. The rod is pushed through your clothing and a retaining clasp is slid onto the rod to hold it in place on the material. A tie clasp of sorts can be made using the disc and clasp.

Nightwalker

Postby Nightwalker » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:18 pm

Mine just came in the mail, Zelph! It's a beautiful thing. It bloomed in about 15 seconds. It's been cooking for 4:10 right now, and I'm having tea to take to Church with me tonight.

You're a real artist, man.

Now, I've got to find a way to get Skids to send me one of his TTLs with stand. That is one cool looking stove! I could trade him one of mine, but they're ugly--even though they work very good.

P.S. I'll PayPal you that 2.50 before the day is up. It's just been slipping my mind. I'm looking forward to some different wick material. :)
Just Hike!

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:36 pm

Nightwalker wrote:Mine just came in the mail, Zelph! It's a beautiful thing. It bloomed in about 15 seconds. It's been cooking for 4:10 right now, and I'm having tea to take to Church with me tonight.

You're a real artist, man.

Now, I've got to find a way to get Skids to send me one of his TTLs with stand. That is one cool looking stove! I could trade him one of mine, but they're ugly--even though they work very good.

P.S. I'll PayPal you that 2.50 before the day is up. It's just been slipping my mind. I'm looking forward to some different wick material. :)

Maybe we can get Skids to give away a stove in the Stove of The Month Club. You have to enter to be eligble to win.

The Fancy Feast can is a good starting point to make a stove. It's just the right size. Add some wick and ss mesh and you gotta stove.

All stove makers need to buy up the stainless steel replacement lantern globes that are being discontinued at kmart stores. The stuff is more usefull than silnylon :roll: :lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:25 pm

Thanks Zelph for the mystery stove (Tomkat) ! The first test, I allowed the stove to get a good burn going before I put the pot on and it started boiling two cups of water with 1/2 ounce of iso 91% alcohol in about 3 1/2 minutes and a full boil in four minutes. I then put the pot on right away and it was about 5 minutes before the water started to boil. That little thing really shoots out the flame. Do you think that stuffing some insulation into it would give a more controlled flame? I had flame coming up the side of my Kmart greasepot and leaving soot on the side of the lid :D . Once she gets going, she is a flame thrower, for sure!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:25 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Thanks Zelph for the mystery stove (Tomkat) ! The first test, I allowed the stove to get a good burn going before I put the pot on and it started boiling two cups of water with 1/2 ounce of iso 91% alcohol in about 3 1/2 minutes and a full boil in four minutes. I then put the pot on right away and it was about 5 minutes before the water started to boil. That little thing really shoots out the flame. Do you think that stuffing some insulation into it would give a more controlled flame? I had flame coming up the side of my Kmart greasepot and leaving soot on the side of the lid :D . Once she gets going, she is a flame thrower, for sure!

Flames up the side of the pot are OK :D On the Ring Of Fire all flames are up the sides :D

ISO 91 flames on any other stove/burner will give off soot.

Stuff some cotton balls in it and see if it calms it down. If you have plumbers cloth use it instead. cotton balls should do alright for 1 or two trial runs.

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:27 pm

[quote="zelph
Maybe we can get Skids to give away a stove in the Stove of The Month Club. You have to enter to be eligble to win.

The Fancy Feast can is a good starting point to make a stove. It's just the right size. Add some wick and ss mesh and you gotta stove.

All stove makers need to buy up the stainless steel replacement lantern globes that are being discontinued at kmart stores. The stuff is more usefull than silnylon :roll: :lol:[/quote]

Oops! Just saw this post!

Of course I'd be happy to donate a prize stove. How long does it take to ship to Australia? :shock:
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”