Hobo Alcohol Stove Ring of Fire Style

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Hobo Alcohol Stove Ring of Fire Style

Post by zelph » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:50 pm

My wife insisted I make her one of these. It's specifically for the purpose of heating a can of soup or beans or chili when car camping. I called it a hobo stove because I think of the train riders eating cans of beans. Why not have a stove just for the cans of food available to them. No bowls to clean, I love it!!! All you would need is a p38 type can opener, a bottle of iso91, a couple cans of soup and an appetite. :D ....and a spoon

I did a video of the burn but editing it was a disaster so I'll do another tomorrow. It heats the can filled with water using 1/2 ounce fuel to 190 degrees easily. If you lift the can out quickly it will snuff the flame. Lift it out slowly and it stays lit.

The stove weighs 1 ounce. Made of aluminum.
Attachments
BrokenArrowVortex 081.jpg
BrokenArrowVortex 080.jpg
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Re: Hobo Alcohol Stove Ring of Fire Style

Post by realityguy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:09 pm

How does it work with smaller cans? Not trying to be a downer..but..I'd wonder about it working on other sizes of cans;not everything we eat comes in one can size..Have you done any testing yet?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:21 pm

p38 can openers..around here are getting impossible to find!I finally found a couple new ones on a card for 50 cents at a thrift store of course...but I looked for 6 months! :o :DB: :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:26 pm

This stove is for hobos that get same size cans of food from food pantries :D Most of the hobos have shaky hands and box cars roll from side to side. This stove will be ideal for them. Sits right on ground zero and is rock solid for stability. I'm going to make a few for the store and see if anyone wants one.

My wife likes user friendly cooking, the easier, the better.

I'll look into the idea of using the EZ-Fold to reduce the inside diameter for smaller cans. You can see I'm getting side tracked :shock:

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:27 pm

realityguy wrote:p38 can openers..around here are getting impossible to find!I finally found a couple new ones on a card for 50 cents at a thrift store of course...but I looked for 6 months! :o :DB: :DB:
Army/Navy surplus stores should have them :o

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:31 pm

I would think some slots or holes on the top sides might work for larger cans,flames coming out the slots when something is placed on top...???
Smaller cans..maybe a couple pins across holes to raise the cans up..say for the escargo,truffles, and smaller smoked salmon cans?... :mrgreen:

P38s here/army surplus..Nope... around here they don't know what you are talking about... :lol:

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:55 pm

realityguy wrote:I would think some slots or holes on the top sides might work for larger cans,flames coming out the slots when something is placed on top...???
Smaller cans..maybe a couple pins across holes to raise the cans up..say for the escargo,truffles, and smaller smoked salmon cans?... :mrgreen:

P38s here/army surplus..Nope... around here they don't know what you are talking about... :lol:
I'll see if they have them on ebay.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:16 pm

I found two..don't need them anymore... :DB: :DP: :DB:

In this neck of the woods..at army surplus stores you get Alice packs(meaning Alice the hiker's pack) and bodum iraqi coffee presses! :lol:

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:23 pm

i've never actually seen a true blue P-38, but i have two with the Cohglan's name on them.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:13 am

The ones I found are those...Cohglans..haven't seen the originals in a long time.