Hobo Alcohol Stove Ring of Fire Style

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Re: Hobo Alcohol Stove Ring of Fire Style

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:57 am

I looked on ebay and they have originals at decent prices.

Coglans are nice, they are longer than the military, better leverage on the cut stroke.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:30 pm

There seems to be a problem with this stove. The flame gets to the almost out point but yet there is still a good amount of fuel left in the wick. A flare up occurs when the can is lifted out slowly. There is a small amount of condensed fuel that gets on the bottom of the can and it ignites when the can is taken out. Still experimenting with it.

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:05 pm

What can is the actual stove made from?
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Vibe wrote:What can is the actual stove made from?
Cat food can.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:05 pm

I just found two p-38's from Coghlan's.

The "EZ fold windscreen" you sent almost perfectly fits in the GSI Halulite Minimalist.

What is this about two different sized EZ fold windscreens?

I am using big bobby pins to hold mine in place. It wasn't easy finding bobby pins.

I think I could be interested in a "Ring of Fire" stove. Is it the right size for a 18.6 oz can soup with the pull-tab lid? I ask, because the Minimalist holds the soup from that can perfectly. That seems to be how much I want to eat.

What kind of cat food? Which can?

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:23 pm

Cat food comes in two sizes of cans me thinks. Look for the large one that's made of aluminum. My stove is out in the garage and it's raining and that would cause me to melt if I went out in the rain :mrgreen: I don't have any pull tab cans on my shelves. Can't tell you if they will fit. You'll have to wait till I get that size can.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat May 01, 2010 3:00 am

I have noticed there are a lot of different cat food cans, although I haven't really paid attention to "cat food" cans, although I have noticed I am looking at containers rather than contents.

I could purchase the big can of cat food for the raccoons, that live nearby.

Happy raccoons. And then, I could tryout cans of interest in the cat food can.

I really think the problem about the flame is, a partial vacuum is created when you pull the can out of the "Ring of Fire" stove. Plus, unused alcohol adheres to the removed can and flames.

The solution may be a standoff for the bottom of the can placed in the cat food can, or wick on the entire inside surface of the cat food can.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:44 am

Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat May 01, 2010 12:03 pm

ConnieD wrote:
I really think the problem about the flame is, a partial vacuum is created when you pull the can out of the "Ring of Fire" stove. Plus, unused alcohol adheres to the removed can and flames.

The solution may be a standoff for the bottom of the can placed in the cat food can, or wick on the entire inside surface of the cat food can.
Yes, you're right, there is a soloution. Oops56 came up with it some time ago. Glad he stopped by to show us a video of it. Thanks oops, winter finally over up there :D It has the standoff packed inside the burner. That will allow all the fuel to be consumed. Even if it's not all consumed, putting the lid on the stove will save it for next time.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:59 pm

zelph wrote:
ConnieD wrote:

Yes, you're right, there is a soloution. Oops56 came up with it some time ago. Glad he stopped by to show us a video of it. Thanks oops, winter finally over up there :D It has the standoff packed inside the burner. That will allow all the fuel to be consumed. Even if it's not all consumed, putting the lid on the stove will save it for next time.

yup the the pot stand lays flat in the can
Man play with fire man get burnt