Slimline Stainless Steel Pot

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
Ridgerunner

Re: Slimline Stainless Steel Pot

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri May 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Like you DaddyMnM, I don't think the integrity of the fold would hold up for a length of time. It would be nice if it did but I don't see it happening. :(
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri May 07, 2010 10:59 pm

I'm not planning to do any folds or do any cooking in it. Just heat/purify water.

If I wanted to cook in it I would make it out of copper. :o There are folks on Whiteblaze that will swear that it's ok to cook in copper. Tiny makes poison pots with copper bottoms.

The current pot holds 5 cups of water comfortably.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun May 09, 2010 12:42 pm

I used alcohol a couple of times to test an idea that Ridgerunner had. sorta worked. It made me think campfires id the only way to go with this pot.

I added a grommet to one corner and that's my preferred way to lift it at this time. It worked great. The safety pin looking gizzmo is what I used to lift the pot.

ImageImageImageImage

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon May 10, 2010 9:22 am

Hi Zelph,

It's fun watching this thing evolve. I like the grommet.

I saw a picture somewhere of a diy camp shower. Has me thinking that a grommet at the bottom would let you hang the slimline from above at the top grommet and then all you have to do is pick it up at the bottom grommet to pour a hot cup. More fuss of course.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon May 10, 2010 11:24 am

sudden wrote:Hi Zelph,

It's fun watching this thing evolve. I like the grommet.

I saw a picture somewhere of a diy camp shower. Has me thinking that a grommet at the bottom would let you hang the slimline from above at the top grommet and then all you have to do is pick it up at the bottom grommet to pour a hot cup. More fuss of course.
I think a grommet at the bottom would leak for sure. I'ts a great idea though. It was Jason Klass that had a water container suspended from a branch that pivoted to dispense the water. Neat idea.

I used a piece of Scotchbrite pad to hold onto the lower corner to pivot the pot. The grit in the pad makes for a secure grip both on the pot and fingers. Worked great for water boiled with alcohol. I need to test it on a pot coming out of a wood fire.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon May 10, 2010 12:35 pm

When can I get one? That's what I want to know.

I think it is fine, right now. :mrgreen:

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon May 10, 2010 12:39 pm

ConnieD wrote:When can I get one? That's what I want to know.

I think it is fine, right now. :mrgreen:
After I thoroughly test it out and get my welder repaired. Someone said pinholes in the metal might occur where a crinkle has occurred. I have to test it to see if they show up.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon May 10, 2010 1:16 pm

<sigh>

Maybe thicker stainless steel foil, if that is a problem. But nothing lasts forever.

If it lasts some reasonable number of "uses" rolling up and putting it away, unrolling it and using it, that should be "good enough".

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon May 10, 2010 1:29 pm

I looked again at your first picture of the grommet. I realize now that it is just punched through the foil.

In the picture it looked like you welded at an angle across the corner then inserted a grommet into the triangle corner. If you did weld it like that, you could put a grommet at the bottom without a leak I think.

Still a genius design without it.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon May 10, 2010 3:47 pm

sudden wrote:I looked again at your first picture of the grommet. I realize now that it is just punched through the foil.

In the picture it looked like you welded at an angle across the corner then inserted a grommet into the triangle corner. If you did weld it like that, you could put a grommet at the bottom without a leak I think.

Still a genius design without it.
That would surely work. Good thinking.

Maybe thicker stainless steel foil, if that is a problem. But nothing lasts forever.

If it lasts some reasonable number of "uses" rolling up and putting it away, unrolling it and using it, that should be "good enough".
I'm going to test it as is and see how well it holds up. I think heavier material will be more rigid than what I would like. I'm not going to roll it up tight, just a soft roll of maybe 5" radius around my hammock. The pot will be in a 1gal. ziplock. The size of the pot is 8"x10"x.004 The .004 dimension is nice :D hehe, my pot is only 4 thousandths thick..sounds weird :o and it only weighs 1.5 ounce