Woodgaz UL wood burning stove.

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
JBRanger

Re: Woodgaz UL wood burning stove.

Post by JBRanger » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:46 pm

No, I haven't painted it yet. I plan too though. I will be using it in two weekends on a trip to Jacky's river trail.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Good deal.....get it painted and do some serious practicing :mrgreen: Have fun on the upcoming adventure. Get some fishing in to complete the trip. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Today while assembling stoves I had the thought to modify my original version by cutting out a side feed opening. Future stoves will have this included.

There is something special about this stove. Very little soot accumilates on the panels. I have a Gargriller wood burner that has flat plates that make up the stove. They accumilate lots of soot and someday I'll try to do a video to show the difference in the accumilation. Less soot means cleaner hands after folding the stove for storage. Yes, some will say there is alot less surface to collect it on the woodgaz and that is true.
Attachments
woodgaz modification 004.jpg
woodgaz modification 002.jpg

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:04 pm

I like the new mod.

For those of us who want, or just enjoy a longer burn time this is perfect and doesn't affect the original negatively.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks sudden, glad you approve. I'll do a video of a new one that I assembled tomorrow. It will show those that already have Woodgaz how to close it after use to reduce getting dirty hands.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:03 pm

Well I din't get the video made but I got some photos. The side opening is 2"x2" good size! ;)
Attachments
woodgaz modification 005.jpg
woodgaz modification 006.jpg
woodgaz modification 007.jpg
woodgaz modification 008.jpg
woodgaz modification 009.jpg

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:08 pm

I made a little video to show how to do a take down of the stove to keep your hands cleaner.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:49 am

This one was made by sousavile as a DIY stove. He must have liked the design. ;)

sudden

Post by sudden » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:40 am

Thought I would let you know I had the woodgaz (and all my other zelph stoves) out for a test run last week. I don't hunt anymore but I tagged along with my brothers and nephew when they took their grandkids/son out for a day of squirrel hunting. I just felt like playing with the stoves and having some coffee while the rest of them were out climbing the hills. Spur of the moment, I stopped and picked up some bacon, eggs, and bread. I started off with the woodgaz/companion stove and a pound of bacon in the pan. I forgot to bring my bottle of heat so all I had was ~1oz of fuel. It was enough to get the water boiling out of the bacon but then I had to switch to wood. I switched over to the zelph pellet burner for that. Of course I also forgot to bring more than a handful of pellets (I didn't plan on cooking when I left the house), so I switched to twigs to finish of the bacon. The pellet stove has an opening in the grid already (similar to the mod you just did on the woodgaz), so I was able to feed it twigs and keep the heat up for cooking. About that time the youngest hunter (5yrs) had already had enough of being away from mommy and my brother was returning with him so I started heating water for coffee and hot cocoa. It wasn't long after that the rest of them trickled in and I was in a constant coffee production mode :). The woodgaz was fired up now to cook grouse on a spit (the oldest of the kids got one and wanted to eat it right now). I gave my brother some quick instruction on the woodgaz and top lighting and off they went to fire it up. I was still in coffee mode but it was time to get the eggs cooking (the whole dozen now, I had eight people to feed). The eggs and cooked bacon all went into the same pot, cooked up over the pellet stove to perfection. The grouse was finished and everyone got to try some. The eggs and bacon were gobbled up and I finally got my cup of coffee. All stoves performed above and beyond the call of duty. I didn't get to use my ridgeline because of the alcohol shortage. That was my only disappointment.

Also of note, the pellet stove sat on top of a portable aluminum table with a bit of aluminum foil beneath it. No problems with hot coals on the table.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:13 am

Nice looking work on the DIY stoves.
With a decent windscreen or windblock Sousaville would definitely have had a boil with the three sided stove too. Definitely a good test in "field like"conditions. If you add up all of the time that the fire spends blowing sideways you will see that the fuel is being spent very quickly but not transferring enough heat to the bottom of the pot. :geek: