Woodgaz UL wood burning stove.

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Re: Woodgaz UL wood burning stove.

Post by zelph » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:26 pm

JBRanger wrote:Veedddy nice! 1 question.... Does a SuperStove fit inside of the stove? This of course would just be a backup in case of bad weather/ wet everything.

I have the same pot and this looks awesome. With 1 load of fuel how long does it burn? Have you tried wet wood in it to see how it fairs? Thanks.

In other news... you should add just a little music or something to your videos. The quality is great, just need some ambient sounds to go along with the awesome stoves. :)
This load of maple burned for at least 20 min, lost track, moving kind of slow, fell off my scaffolding two days ago while washing my RV. Nothing broke, only my asphalt driveway when It met up with my knees......ouch!!!!! :mrgreen: As I was on my way down my ear/head met up with the cross brace of the scaffold, now I have a black ear :o it's totally black and blue and reminds me of a Farengi gone bad :DB:

I'll check to see how the Super Stove fits inside. It may have to be shimmed up to come to the top edge of the stove.

When you view this video don't be set back when you see the size of the wood pellets that I'm using for fuel. this video is for real, no funny business here, no trickery. This wood was top lit using only paper and small slivers of wood. No chemicals used.

You can see the ability of dry wood to be top lit in a stove that provides the necessary amount of oxygen to come up through the stove.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:29 pm

I like the damper. It might be beneficial if using alcohol as well. ;) The wife's ghost add a nice touch to the yard. Might scare something away but a pic of your black and purple ear definitely would scare away the kids. :lol: I hope you are no worse for wear. Use a pressure washer to reach those high spots on the camper. ;) I have a wand extension for my pressure washer that will reach the second floor of my house. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:41 pm

I would like to see it burned with some "semi-wet" wood. Nothing is ever perfect out in the woods you know. :) Also, would like to see if a SuperStove would fit inside. Thanks.

Edit - How much will they be going for?
The Super Stove is 1/2" short of the top edge of the stove. It needs to be supported by using the bottom half of a Wedding Favor tin.

Once I've made a dozen stoves I'll be able to put a price tag on them. I need to find a good source for the flame concentrator material. I'm thinking of making an instructional video to include the how to's of top lighting and the tools I use to cut and process the larger twigs/branches. They'll be ready in time for Christmas. I have a lot of out-of-town trips coming up in the near future. My wife is no longer employed and now we are free to travel anywhere anytime.

Damp wood needs lot of tinder on top to get it going. Once going, the heat generated should be able to dry out the fuel under the burning portion. Radiant energy should be able to do it's drying. A good test might be for me to soak my wood for 15 min. and then try burning it top light method. What do you think on that idea?

I scrubbed my RV with a 3"x5" pad. It's the first time it's been washed since I got it 2 years ago. I remodled the inside and did mechanical repairs on it first.

Tamerlin

Post by Tamerlin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:15 pm

zelph wrote: Once I've made a dozen stoves I'll be able to put a price tag on them. I need to find a good source for the flame concentrator material. I'm thinking of making an instructional video to include the how to's of top lighting and the tools I use to cut and process the larger twigs/branches. They'll be ready in time for Christmas. I have a lot of out-of-town trips coming up in the near future. My wife is no longer employed and now we are free to travel anywhere anytime.
I'm definitely interested in one of these woodgaz stoves. It will be interesting to compare it with a Caldera Cone, which I have yet to use with wood, since I was in a no-fire zone last time I was out in the wild.
Rakesh Malik, Photographer/Owner
White Crane Photography, LLC
http://www.WhiteCranePhotography.com

Support my Art for Clean Air fun raiser:
http://indiegogo.com/WhiteCraneClimb

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:48 pm

Tamerlin wrote:
I'm definitely interested in one of these woodgaz stoves. It will be interesting to compare it with a Caldera Cone, which I have yet to use with wood, since I was in a no-fire zone last time I was out in the wild.
Great, I'll let everyone know when I have a dozen made to be able to make them available. The little stove is easy to use and light weight. It will cost is going to be low. Stainless steel is perfect for wood stoves. Titanium is overkill. I can make them out of Ti but the price will kill ya :D

I should make them out of Ferocerrium then they would be dual purpose and self ignite :lol: :ugeek:

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:29 pm

That is a nice setup.
what kind of boil times are you getting with 6 cups in the kettle? WOuld one normally build the fire in that bottom pan?
Will the woodgaz boil that much water on one load without the kettle?
How long does it take you to prepare your wood? Nice small pieces. Do you just carry it and your paper with you in your backpack?

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:00 am

cadyak wrote:That is a nice setup.
what kind of boil times are you getting with 6 cups in the kettle? WOuld one normally build the fire in that bottom pan?
Will the woodgaz boil that much water on one load without the kettle?
How long does it take you to prepare your wood? Nice small pieces. Do you just carry it and your paper with you in your backpack?
Thank you :D

Yes, you would normally build the fire in the bottom pan.

The Woodgaz barely gets 4 cups to boil by it's self with that same amount of wood. On a calm day with a good windscreen I think it could work. The Kelly Kettle really concentrates the heat and protects from wind/breeze

I have not taken this stove with me on a pack carrying adventure, base camp only testing. The paper can easily be removed from a telephone book in the amount needed for the length of time that you're going to be out. Telephone books are glued like note pads. You can slice of a pad of pages easily. don't fold them, keep them flat to store in pack. Twigs broken into 2" length and packed goes fast. My example videos show the ability of wood to be top lit with proper ventilation of a stove. The large pieces of oak are for show only. I have a large amount of them pre cut for use when I I go camping. I've decided that the Kelly Kettle is going to be my goto stove for car camping. My wife wants one also(and also a woodgaz) :D :D

I'll still do more testing before I release them for sale. I want a smaller kelly for back pack. I feel positive about it's design. I think it is well worth while to explore it's possibilities.

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:20 pm

The Woodgaz definitely has major possibilities. Who ever boils that much water anyway? It would be just the ticket for a huddle of coffee junkies, making a camp shower, or best of all to sterilize larger quantities of water for later use.
The WG has a great amount of airflow from underneath and that should help with fuel that is less than ideal.

Thanks for getting me on the top lighting concept.
I am getting virtually no smoke and with my beeswax tinders, lighting from the top is even easier than "middle" lighting. I still like my lower hole though for adding late fuel without lifting the pot.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:29 pm

cadyak wrote: Thanks for getting me on the top lighting concept.
I am getting virtually no smoke and with my beeswax tinders, lighting from the top is even easier than "middle" lighting. I still like my lower hole though for adding late fuel without lifting the pot.
Top lighting is awesome. Watch this long video :D Watch for the smoke :mrgreen:

The Woodgaz stove is awesome ;) ;)

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Okay, so it brings in air from beneath as it is open there. Is there anything below that to catch debris? A plate perhaps? Is that even needed? How does esbit perform in it? How is it affected by wind when using the alcohol stove?

Just some of the questions in my mind....