Companion burner for the Woodgaz and Bushbuddy stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Companion burner for the Woodgaz and Bushbuddy stove

Postby zelph » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:45 pm

I've been busy :D

I made some burners out of the Venom bottles that are similar to the StarLyte burner.

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: Companion burner for the Bushbuddy stove

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:18 pm

Looks like you gout about 38 minutes burn time with 3oz. of fuel. Can you turn the burner upside down without losing any fuel with that much fuel added? I'm not sure where you got the stove but the clock had to come from a thrift store or someone was disgarding it. :P :lol: :lol: Now is a great time to be testing stoves in cold weather conditions for those in the snow belt. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:22 pm

It was a great thrift store find, 50 cents. My other big one bit the dust/ashes :mrgreen:

I can turn this new burner upside down and nothing comes out.

I'll takes some photos of the half dozen I made and get some dimensions and weight. Not long ago I made a large burner out of 2 fancey feast cans and a reader had an interest in it for his Bushbuddy. His intentions were to melt snow for water and cooking. I sent it off to him in hopes that it will work well for his purpose.

The idea stayed with me and some thoughts came together and now this burner seems to fit the bill for winter time use.

The burner stayed nice and steady over the length of the full 3 ounces. I'll do more tests/comparisons with open containers to see how heat effects them.

The test I did awhile back showed that small, low profile metal dish containers would over heat and burn in a radical fashion when burned in the BB stove. It's like being in an oven. This new burner is right at the top rim of the stove and behaves well, no overheating. The material inside the burner must have a regulating ability to keep the fuel from becoming radical in it's burn.

I'm working on a batch of 12 Woodgaz stoves, the 3" diameter wafer stove and another stove made out of the Venom bottle. Not enough time in a
day. :mrgreen:

I'm itching to start on the stainless steel food serving tray stove(wood burner). Hoz came up with a good example of a stand/support for it.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:39 am

I weighed the burner this morning and took a photo of the one that was tested.

It's 2.75" in dia. and 1.5" tall and weighs 1.3 ounce
Attachments
Iditerod 2.JPG

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:26 am

I don't know.. :roll: ..Those gram weenies won't like it..now your getting as heavy as my deemed-overweight stoves... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Is it necessary to have the Bushbuddy stove, I mean, can the pan sit directly on this alcohol stove?

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:54 pm

There's more to life than being a gram weenie :mrgreen:

A pot of water can't be placed directly on the burner. I could easily make a stainless steel wire pot support for it just like the StarLyte stove and call it a stove with integrated stand.

This burner is for owners of the Bushbuddy that want to have a back-up alcohol stove during wet weather. A stove that can melt snow and cook a big meal. There are folks out there that are pulling pulks loaded to the hilt with gear to go hang in a hammock for a few days or tent camp for a few days. It's nice to get up in the morning and pour in 3 ounces of fuel and get your water boiling in short order.

A friend of mine sent me his fourdog bushcooker stove to test. I'll try the burner inside of it to see how it fits and reacts to it. The burner is not married to the BB. It can be used in any combination of DIY pot supports. It's a great burner for emergency preparedness kits, bug-out-bags and grab and run bags because you can use other fuels in it. Keep in mind the safety factor of the fuel not able to spill out. U.S. military use ammo boxes filled with sand to absorb gasoline when they need an emergency stove.

I did another test this morning for length of burn time and also boiled 4 cups of water at the same time. 4 cups boiled in 14 min. Total burn time was 35 min. Air temp was 35 degrees. This short video shows how the 3 ounces of fuel is absorbed to provide a significant safety factor in making your outdoor experience a much safer one:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Appears you'll be packing a full bottle of heet like I do.I wish they made them see thru(instead of yellow) or a built on side clear measure strip on the bottle like 2 cycle oil bottles..marked in ozs...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:13 pm

I like the capacity.

I like the fact it won't spill out.

I wouldn't need a pulk to carry it, either.

Are you selling this one, yet, zelph? I would like to try it out in "Montana winter".

realityguy, The local pharmacist sold me an empty bottle marked off in ounces: 10 cents

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:48 pm

I'll have some listed in the stove store by Friday, maybe sooner.

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”