group cooking

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
GiroToGo

group cooking

Post by GiroToGo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:45 am

which zelph stove is good for group cooking and melting snow?

zelph

Re: group cooking

Post by zelph » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:50 pm

The Woodgaz for economy of fuel :D

The Fancee Feest and the GoTo stoves hold the most fuel. Both will work well with 1/2 ounce up to 3 ounce of fuel.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

GiroToGo

Post by GiroToGo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:29 pm

which one is faster, better...fancee feest or goto? How long would it take to melt and get a liter of water? Anyone have any clues or suggestions.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:58 pm

GiroToGo wrote:which one is faster, better...fancee feest or goto? How long would it take to melt and get a liter of water? Anyone have any clues or suggestions.

Fancee Feest my first choice, GoTo a close second. That's asking me which one of my children do I like the best :mrgreen: Don't have any idea how long to melt 1 litre

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:04 pm

In meteorology 10 inches of snow is equal to 1 inch of rain. Based on that you could probably come up with a measurement of volume in your pot.

The issue with this is it is based on unpacked snow. Once you disturb the snow and pack it in a cook pot all basis of measurement goes wacky.

If you are using ice then we have a formula for that. The volume of water expands by 9% once it freezes.

GiroToGo

Post by GiroToGo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:49 pm

I thought the Goto is one of the latest and greatest. Is the Fancee Feest more efficient, but it just doesn't hold as much fuel as the Goto?

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:17 pm

If you are melting snow, reserve some liquid water to put in the bottem of the pan.

Otherwise, the snow will "scorch" and scorched snow water has a horrible taste and odor.

Different snow has different water content.

For example, "powder snow" has very little "useful" water content. In that instance, a bigger pan won't help. It could become an all-day job. In fact, having people in "base camp" is to melt snow and have hot drinks and hot meals always available.

However, most snow will give good results.

Are you going to tell us how things "work out" for you?

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:28 pm

GiroToGo wrote:I thought the Goto is one of the latest and greatest. Is the Fancee Feest more efficient, but it just doesn't hold as much fuel as the Goto?

They are both the same in performance. the Goto is low pressure and has the "jets" of fire which attract users. The FF is an open wicketized stove.

They both hold the same amount of fuel.

I like how a pot feels on the stainless steel pot suport.

The GoTo weighs more.

Was it you that ordered one today from snowy, frigid Canada?

One of these wou;ld work good under a DIY pot support

GiroToGo

Post by GiroToGo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:22 am

That wasn't me. I'm in California. I made a fancee feest and works great, but I'm always looking for something new and better. So many to choose from. The question is...should I be content with the Fancee Feest.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:46 pm

GiroToGo wrote:That wasn't me. I'm in California. I made a fancee feest and works great, but I'm always looking for something new and better. So many to choose from. The question is...should I be content with the Fancee Feest.

The one you made is special :D Just make one that is larger for melting snow in a larger pot. Use large aluminum cat food can and go from there. The more fiberglass cloth that is exposed, the faster/larger the flame. Larger is for group cooking

Another thing about the GoTo is the simmer ring, top jets and tall 6" windscreen. That adds to the likability of it. It also has an updated metal ignition wick for lighting in cold temperatures. It is 'Not" a priming wick ;) It just carries the ignition flame down to the surface of the fuel which is very important in lighting alcohol in very cold temps. Not something to be concerned with in California ;) :D