group cooking

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
GiroToGo

Re: group cooking

Post by GiroToGo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:09 pm

still wow...3oz to boil 1 gal of water..amazing.

GiroToGo

Post by GiroToGo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:57 pm

I only got 6 cups of water to boil on 3 oz. how did you get 1 gallon? Another question, when you cook eggs or make pancakes, should you use a simmer ring around the Fancee Feest?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:39 pm

I have seen pancakes made in the one-egg wonder mini skillet on full bore. You just need to watch them closely. In these frigid temps, I don't think it will hurt. The best idea would be to test some out before your trip, to avoid an unpleasant surprises. It is not a good idea to be "testing" things for the first time when you are on your trip.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

GiroToGo

Post by GiroToGo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:09 pm

Testing, Testing....good idea. Is a 1.1 Liter pot 4.5"x4.5" too small for a FF to melt snow. would a bigger pot be better.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:58 pm

GiroToGo wrote:I only got 6 cups of water to boil on 3 oz. how did you get 1 gallon? Another question, when you cook eggs or make pancakes, should you use a simmer ring around the Fancee Feest?
Here is a quote from the Fancee Feest thread, tells how I got the 1 gallon to boil.:

I tried boiling 16 cups in the Heineken Keg(steel)

I was not able to boil using the 3 ounces of fuel. My wife kicked me out of the kitchen on the first try in the middle of the test (photos are inside)

Image the keg has one gallon of water in it, the stove has strength.

Image the flame pattern you see here remains the same throughout the 3 ounces of fuel.

Second try was outside under very breezy conditions without the best of windscreen. Flame was tossed around alot. At the end of 34 min and flame out, the water temp was 190 degrees.

Third attempt was using a larger aluminum pot. 3 ounces of fuel boiled the water in 34 min(soft boil) barely made it. Flame went out 15 sec. later.

Max fuel capacity for the stove is 3 ounces/ 90ml

Stove needs no primer pan and contains it's own potstand.

Weighs 24 grams and is very stable for it's size.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No need for a simmer ring for eggs/pancakes. Just be watchful, use plenty of butter :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

GiroToGo

Post by GiroToGo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:54 am

I just noticed that the pot is not totally flush on the stove. Will this affect the performance?

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:21 am

GiroToGo wrote:I just noticed that the pot is not totally flush on the stove. Will this affect the performance?
Yes, it would be a factor. It's important to be centered. small stoves and big pots have their own little problems. :D

GiroToGo

Post by GiroToGo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:49 pm

Back from my trip. I was disappointed, I didn't get to melt snow. I had brought water. I didn't need as much water as I thought. I was going to melt snow just for fun after breakfast, but the snow was blowing so hard that I just skipped breakfast and headed out.

The stove worked great. It was about 25F and it lit with out problem. Cooking in the cold was just like cooking in the summer. It was fast. I made a J. Wood fire bucket, http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Fire-Bucket/index.html and put the FF on it. Worked great together for the snow. It gets the stove off the ground and a great windscreen.

Next time I'll melt snow.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:45 pm

Glad you got out away from home. We all should do that once a month at least :D

The weather can sure put a damper on things when you least expect it. Hope the best for your next adventure.

GiroToGo

Post by GiroToGo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:05 pm

I've been doing more reading about melting snow with an alcohol stove. Most do not recommend it because you have to bring a lot of fuel and it takes a long time. They say bring liquid fuel stove. So...how many of you use an alcohol stove to melt snow? Am I wasting my time trying to do this?