Mini Woodgaz Wood burner

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Mini Woodgaz Wood burner

Post by zelph » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:44 pm

I played today :mrgreen:

I did three tests.
1st one I used kiln dried oak, 2 cups of 50 degree water, Snow Peak 600ml mug. Water boiled no timing done.

2nd one I used 2" length kiln dried oak, 2 cups 50 degree water, snow Peak 600ml mug, Water boiled in 10 min. and continued to boil for additional 5 min.

3rd one I used 2" length pine twigs, 2 cups 50 degree water, SP600ml mug, water got to a soft boil in about 12 min.

All 3 tests wood was stacked vertical and top lit.

The pot support slides onto the bottom of stove for storage. The stove fits in the mug with lots of room to spare.

No weight has be measured.

As my stove designs progress I'm led to believe for a surety that a double wall is not required to boil 2 cups of water using wood.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Re: Mini Woodgaz Wood burner

Post by cadyak » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Nice. I like the lip on the salt shaker which functions a keeper for the potstand.
That was a good idea to give it a second to burn and give you a little more space under the pot.
Those shakers also look very sturdy.
lots of aeration=good flames
chapeau

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Yes, they are very sturdy. I'll continue to make burn tests to make sure it maintains integrety. Don't want it to split/crack.

I had a stainless steel cooking pot (home variety) crack when dropped on the floor(the rim). Spinning stainless puts a lot of stress/tension of the metal. I have to throw this one around and see how it holds up :mrgreen:

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:55 pm

There are people devoted to their Snow Peak 600 system: a wood stove alternative is attractive.

The water is pasturized.

Note: Remember out discussion about the WAPI?

I still do not understand why you place the pot so high over the fire.

The video shows the heat is down there in the coals.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:15 am

ConnieD wrote:There are people devoted to their Snow Peak 600 system: a wood stove alternative is attractive.

The water is pasturized.

Note: Remember out discussion about the WAPI?

I still do not understand why you place the pot so high over the fire.

The video shows the heat is down there in the coals.
It's been my experience that there needs to be sufficient distance from top of stove to bottom of pot for the stove to funtion at it's peak performance. Not enough space causes a lot more smoke.

The small stove to the right is a round prototype that was found to be in need of at least an additional 1/2" to 1" in height.

Once a stove begins to heat up the gasification rate increases and off comes the gas that wants to be ignited so we need good air flow from base to bottom of pot.

In the beginning of the video you can see how lowering the pot makes the smoke increase. The smoke is volital gasses wanting to escape upward. We want them to ignite so we give all that is required, lots of air :D Most stoves on the market are oxygen deficient, leaving a large amounts of charcoal after flames go out. We can see that in the videos on youtube. I see it in the testing I've done on the Beaner, Bushbuddy and Fourdog's stove.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun May 01, 2011 7:24 pm

I have received some questions about the small woodgaz stove that I have used inside the Kelly Kettle. I have not been able to get the hardware cloth from the original supplier. My efforts went into the salt and pepper shakers as a substitute.

Taking a little poll here.

which do you prefer, hardware cloth or shaker?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue May 31, 2011 6:10 pm

I think i like the stainless hardware cloth better as it allows more oxygen to the fuel. What is your experience? Does on burn better that the other?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue May 31, 2011 9:52 pm

The original hardware cloth holds more fuel, which is a plus.

Shaker is same size as the small size bushcooker by fourdog stove. burns 2 ounces of fuel and boils 2 cups of water.

Not had enough tests on the shaker to know if one burnes better than the other. As long as there is sufficient incoming air and sufficient exit room for air to escape, it should burn well.

The original needs to be made taller by 1" if I can recall.