Full Metal Jacket .333

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Full Metal Jacket .333

Post by zelph » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:21 pm

I did a quick video to show everyone what I've been working on.

this is a bottle pot with a heat grabber. I did several tests using ISO91. boiled 2 cups of water with 1/3 ounce of fuel. First time ever to get a boil with under 1/2 ounce of fuel. The full metal jacket grabs heat and radiates(infra red) it to the bottle. It protects the bottle from wind which prevents heat loss. Most of the heat/flames goes up through the double wall and out the holes at the top as seen in the video.

.333 ounce of fuel, whoda thunk it!!!

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

teemo

Re: Full Metal Jacket .333

Post by teemo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:45 am

I bet it would work even better if you insulated the heat sheild. Aerogel insulation is now available in strips and this company rven offers free samples.

http://www.thermablok.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:22 pm

Interesting concept..I'm assuming the stove is now an integral part(attached permanently) of the bottle..why not!One less thing to pack separate and forget.. :roll:
Fueling..okay gotta use a special cut plastic cup, right?..but it is only 1/3rd oz of fuel needed...How about making some small plastic premeasured packs of 1/3 oz fuel..like McDonalds ketchup packs! :mrgreen: :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:51 pm

It is working like a "Ring of Fire" with a heat shield. What keeps the shield from sliding down right on the wick?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:59 pm

Okay..where's your MBD fiberglass wick ring for picking it up and pouring? :roll:
:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:18 pm

teemo wrote:I bet it would work even better if you insulated the heat sheild. Aerogel insulation is now available in strips and this company rven offers free samples.

http://www.thermablok.com/
I agree, it would certainly increase it's fuel efficiency. Amazing product, thank you "space program" :D
Okay..where's your MBD fiberglass wick ring for picking it up and pouring?
That product/action is now known as "Urban Legend" "Old Wives Tale" it' doesn't work, only makes the pot heavier. what a rip-off!!!

I watched the video again.............looks cool how all the flame is sucked up the "chimney"........watch it again

when I get back from vacation, I'll try wrapinf it with the special product I have that I used on the waffer/cookie stove.

Notice I use photobucket on my protypes before releasing to you tube. too many copy cats out there that don't give credit. :o :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Caesar

Post by Caesar » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Nice design! I know Tinny was playing around with almost the exact same thing a while ago, but abandoned it to focus on the Choke Hazard. Nice to see old designs being reused. I guess even Tinny's crumbs are another man's dinner! :)

Are you going to sell this set-up, Zelph? I wouldn't mind buying one, ya know to support the little stovemakers instead of buying MBD all the time.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:05 am

:roll: ...That "Choke Hazzard"..Hmm..must be shaped like his foot... :lol:
I guess for the people that don't know me,I better rephrase and simplify my previous post for the zombies..Zelph..are you going to add a bail or something to pick up the hot bottle? Use a silicone glove or potholder?
How about a collapsible(clipable to a pack) handle like a thermos or lunch pail one on the side of the outside liner..or even a small mounting loop for a carabiner hanging somewhere for packing/holding/pouring. That's a pretty hot item to pour from.. :roll: I know you'll come up with something simplified,original,and brilliant. ;)

Caesar

Post by Caesar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:24 pm

realityguy wrote::roll: ...That "Choke Hazzard"..Hmm..must be shaped like his foot... :lol:
I guess for the people that don't know me,I better rephrase and simplify my previous post for the zombies..Zelph..are you going to add a bail or something to pick up the hot bottle? Use a silicone glove or potholder?
How about a collapsible(clipable to a pack) handle like a thermos or lunch pail one on the side of the outside liner..or even a small mounting loop for a carabiner hanging somewhere for packing/holding/pouring. That's a pretty hot item to pour from.. :roll: I know you'll come up with something simplified,original,and brilliant. ;)
I think in Tinny's design, the bottle had a locking ring that held the heat shield on. The heat shield stayed cool on the outside because Tinny coated it with a refractory ceramic, so you could pick up the pot by the heat shield without a problem. The ceramic coating also insulated the shield, making it more effective, but it was somewhat heavier so Tinny ditched it. Cool idea though.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:46 pm

Welcome Caesar! Glad to have you here. You seem to be in the know about Tinnys doings. What ever happened to Tinnys blog where you could leave your feedback? I am not a big fan of the bottle pot as it would be very difficult to clean. I suppose it has its applications; mostly for boiling water but at some point a bottle brush will be needed. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !