X-Men Stove For Scouts

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
Ridgerunner

Re: X-Men Stove For Scouts

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:15 pm

Wouldn't stoves from Zelph's StoveWork be considered commercial?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:53 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Wouldn't stoves from Zelph's StoveWork be considered commercial?
I would say homemade commercial, I have 3 online distributors. Call me commercial :D But don't call me late for dinner :lol:

Bill over at white box would consider me "Cottage Industry". That's what he considers his buisness.

I don't think I'll ever catch my wife testing a stove in the kitchen :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

russb

Post by russb » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:44 pm

The BSA prohibition on DIY stoves; requiring commercially made stoves is for those which use chemical fuels.

A DIY wood stove is not prohibited.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:32 pm

russb wrote:The BSA prohibition on DIY stoves; requiring commercially made stoves is for those which use chemical fuels.

A DIY wood stove is not prohibited.
Yes, that's cool!!!

The X Men is really only a pot support :D Makes things easy for the Scouts and me :D

I used it a couple of weeks ago while camping with my wife and grandaughter. I stacked the twigs one layer parralel to each other with 1/4" space between each twig and then the next layer at a 90 degree angle to the first layer and so on. Plenty of air space for a good burn. Small twigs on top for the tinder and used a Tinder Tab on the very top for ignition. Works great. I think I have a video of it somewhere, just need to find it :roll:

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:25 pm

I showed my woodgaz to the scoutmaster here. He didn't say anything about not using it. In fact he thought it would be a nice tool for hunters as well. Maybe tag it with "hunters wood stove" or something like that to get it noticed outside the normal channels :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:08 pm

sudden wrote:I showed my woodgaz to the scoutmaster here. He didn't say anything about not using it. In fact he thought it would be a nice tool for hunters as well. Maybe tag it with "hunters wood stove" or something like that to get it noticed outside the normal channels :)
Thanks for passing the info on to others. I personally like the 1st version. All the sides were connected and when opened the grate fell down onto it's support piece and the stove was ready to load. I like easy!!! :lol:

The one comment on the video was from Laurie who wanted a fold-up stove to fit in the back pocket of her jeans. She never bought one :o She was my influence to go the route of the compact folding size.

This is easy! :D Note the "windy" conditions and still got a boil. Don't cut short your stoves ability to boil using the remaining hot coals left after the flames are out.

sudden

Post by sudden » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:34 pm

I also liked the original the best but after having the smaller footprint of the new style it's hard to decide now :)

The good thing is it's easier to mod the later version to the original than visa versa :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:06 pm

sudden wrote:I also liked the original the best but after having the smaller footprint of the new style it's hard to decide now :)

The good thing is it's easier to mod the later version to the original than visa versa :)
That is so true. I removed the hinges from one corner and then added another catch for the grate.

I'll have to count how many tiny welds there are in a stove. Lots of them to fasten the 2" high stainless walls that make up the fire box.

Nahh!!! if i counted them I'd have to increase the price :lol:

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:30 pm

The modified one is my fav even though the original is "one hand setup" :lol: What do you think the results would be if you increased the ss panels another two or three grates? :idea:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:59 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:The modified one is my fav even though the original is "one hand setup" :lol: What do you think the results would be if you increased the ss panels another two or three grates? :idea:
Increasing the height of the panels would slow down the burn rate and increase smoke. My original round woodgaz had to have it's height increased due to that effect on burn rate/smoke.