zelph wood stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
JBRanger

Re: zelph wood stove

Postby JBRanger » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Still playing with this stove. Starting to get some surface rust on upper area of stove. Nothing too bad. But still, I'd like to sand it and paint it with high temp paint.

More on why I'd not use this as a "contained" campfire... It's too good at doing its job! LOL! By that I mean ALL of the heat goes vertical and not out at all like a campfire. You literally would have to hold this in between your legs to get heat from it. :) I wish I could make a diffuser of sorts to sit on top to throw heat OUT instead of vertical once I was done using it for cooking. Hrmm.....

Zelph, any ideas? Still, just have to say I've burned this stove now for a couple of months with weekly burns. Sometimes as much as 4-5 burns a week. It's still going strong.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Mine is a point that it is completely raw steel and is ready to be wiped clean with mineral spirits to get any soot off and then i'll spray it with black stove paint. I might hit it with some course steel wool for added adhesion qualities.

Once you get a good hot bed of coals and your food has been consumed, throw on some huge twigs 4 - 5 inches taller than the stove for a good size blaze. let them fan out. Once they get going good lay some cross ways over the mass of flames.

This stove would be nice for all the ones that are gathering at the Large Hammock Hangs around the country. From what I understand they are "car Camping" using hammocks as their choice of sleeping arrangements. All activities are that of car camping. Nice concentrated fires that can be easily directed at your pot are nice to have in the form of a small quart size container. The attendees are parked near the site where they hang and they easily carry large volumes of STUFF. I have used and tested the Bushbuddy and Fourdogs woodstoves. I know what they are capable of doing and know their price range. This little stove is a power house that will fit the nitch between the other two.

The stainless steel firebox liner will prevent future burnout in that critical area. The stainless steel grate and pot support will last forever.

I'm glad you're putting it to some good test firings and reporting back your findings. When I'm out on my adventures, I use wood most of the time. I have plenty of time at the end of the day to kick back and enjoy the prep time of gathering and preparing the stove for it's service rendered :D I'm intrigued by the top litghting process and watch it go through the motions as it works it's way down the stack. I feel like a moth drawn to the light of the fire. :o
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:05 pm

If you are talking about the folding woodgaz stove, I have had no "burn-out" at all.

The stainless steel really holds up.

I like the warming effect of that little wood stove. It contains the fire, nicely, and is a warming fire.

In fact, it is the wood stove I have in mind for my reflective hybrid tarp.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:51 am

Should have taken pics last night. Daughter and I lit up the wood stove. I set my SP600 in a larger wire mesh piece but left approx. 1 inch below the cup. She roasted marshmallows as I heated water for hot cocoa. Was awesome.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:48 pm

ConnieD wrote:If you are talking about the folding woodgaz stove, I have had no "burn-out" at all.

The stainless steel really holds up.

I like the warming effect of that little wood stove. It contains the fire, nicely, and is a warming fire.

In fact, it is the wood stove I have in mind for my reflective hybrid tarp.

No, it's a new creation that I came up with this year. I sent a few out around the country so they could be put to good use and try to burn them up if they could 8-)

I sent you an email offering you one but you never answered. :?

Oops56 got the first one and did a video and this thread we are in. Here is his video:

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:56 pm

A late follow-up:

I took the stove with me during hunting season this year. My brother has a pellet stove so I borrowed a couple scoops of pellets to show him the stove. He was a little skeptical since his pellet stove has a blower running to keep the pellets lit. The zelph stove worked just fine. I filled it all the way to the top of the center stack and lit it using some of the heet I had along for the trip. It surprised me by burning for ~1hr. That is flame for 1hr followed by hot coals. I didn't wait for the coals to burn out and started another run to show my nephew. Same thing, 1hr burn time. As it turned out it was a very hot day for hunting so the stove didnt' get used for coffee. I did light it in the woods just for fun :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:52 pm

Wood stoves are made to be played with :D

The sure fire way to get a wood stove started using pellets is to have the entire surface ignited by means of paper , alcohol, weber charcoal starter etc.

The oxygen infussor is the reason for successful continuous burning of the fuel. The double walled stainless firebox helps get oxygen up along side the fuel also. The fuel above the lining that is, especially with a full load of pellets.

Thanks for giving the stove a workout :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:30 pm

I want to take the time to give my review of Zelph's wood stove. When it arrived and I opened the box, I was in awe of the workmanship and intricate details than went into building this particular stove. This is NOT one of those "cut a can and press in a die" type stove. There is a lot of time and workmanship that went into building this stove.The stove has many tedious spot welds in the build. There is a draft tube that is welded to the center of the fire chamber allowing oxygen to flow unobstructed from the bottom up thru the center of the burn chamber. All of the vent holes are precisely cut and smoothed down so there are no sharp edges. The fire chamber also incorporates a stainless steel inner wall that is formed and spot welded in such a way as to allow air flow between the two walls plus add the benefit of possibly extending the life of the stove. The stove also comes with a ring attached bottom plate to reduce the footprint in the burn area and catch ashes. The pot support is stainless steel hardware cloth. It sits in 4 riveted tabs and does not go completely around the stove thus allowing you to add more fuel without removing your pot. The design and build is very well thought out and performs extremely well. I took the time before its first burn to paint the outside of the stove with high temp. grill paint. I really liked the way the stove performed and is a excellent choice for the wood burner enthusiast. The only modification that I might do would be to slightly cut down the pot support tabs to allow the hardware cloth to sit one or two notches lower on windy days.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks RR,
I havent seen a close up view of that stove. Very nice.
I had no idea so much work went into them.
Chapeau! Oh the fires I could make with that thing. :geek:

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:04 pm

RR,

I just sit the hardware cloth on another square to get it closer. No need to do anything with the supports. Just squeeze it together and let it go at the height you want.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”