Windscreen Pot Support

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Windscreen Pot Support

Post by zelph » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Here is what I'm working on in between stove making. It's a windscreen, pot support and storage container for the pot. It has stainless steel hinge pins and 2 of the pins act as "earth anchors" The hinge pins can be pushed 1 inch into the ground to stabilize the windscreen in windy weather. The one photo shows the gripping portion of the pin for holding onto when pushing into the ground and they fold flat against the windscreen panels. The pot sits on 4 shelves that are situated in the center of the 4 panels. One of the photos shows their position. It's easy to pick up the pot of boiling water by squeezing on the sides of the windscreen and then pouring it into a freezer bag. The pot comes out the top of the windscreen and then is inserted from the bottom into it for storage.

The windscreen, pot/w lid, and burner weighs 4 ounces.

Boils 2 cups with 17ml of fuel(heet) If I were to use denatured alcohol I would speculate I would get the boil with 1/2 ounce of fuel. I was able to do 2 test boils this evening. More tests will follow in the next few days.

I'll be testing with esbit fuel tabs also to see how well it works with them.

Distance from ground to pot bottom is 2 inches. I used a modified StarLyte burner as heat source.

The windscreen can be folded flat if need be. It will fold into a 3"x6" size.
Attachments
Windscreen Potsupport 003.jpg
Windscreen Potsupport 002.jpg
Windscreen Potsupport 001.jpg
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: Windscreen Pot Support

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:33 am

Nicely done Zelph! Are the sides made out of stainless also? I'm thinking it could double as a wood burner if so :idea:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

shingaling

Post by shingaling » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:18 am

Looks great! Did you make the hinges yourself, or cut the windscreen down from an existing product? I've always it would make the world of pot stands and windscreens more exciting if we could make simple, lightweight hinges.
Last edited by shingaling on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:48 am

The windscreen support is a modified existing product made of aluminum. I will use stainless steel pop rivets to attach stainless steel to the panels in the area of the fire box to see how it fares as a wood burner.

In the past month I've received emails asking when I will have more of the Woodgaz folding SS wood burner. I will try to order material for a dozen or so this week. My part time helper has turned out to be a great asset and will make them.

Shingaling, the simple hinges on the Woodgaz stove is the best I could do :D There was another wood burner I made that had stainless hinges that were not too hard to make. They had to be welded onto the panels. The stove was tall. I'll see if I can find it.

More testing in thenext few days while I'm camping.

I'll have WIFI internet access in camp so I'll keep in touch.

Shingaling here is the stainless steel hinge stove:

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:12 am

zelph, Woodgaz folding SS wood burner
I featured it on my webpage: What I Use. I also talk it up in other forums.
http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline. ... otos2.html

Those hinges never bind, even with all the wood fires I have made in there.
Last edited by ConnieD on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:13 am

Memory is failing me! I don't remember this stove but it looks very practical ;) you get good use out of your spot welder :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Connie, thanks for sharing the information on the woodgaz. I think that is why folks have emailed me wanting to know when I'll make more :D

RR, I sure do enjoy my welder. Very handy tool. My son uses it to make the pot supports for the StarLytes.

Today I put a 2 cup flat bottom Foster can inside the windscreen, fits perfect. With that pot you can leave it inside the windscreen/potsupport as is. Never have to take it out. Store it right there where it sits. Put the burner inside with spork etc. I'll make tyvek stuff sack for it.

Had to take time to share that with you folks. :D

Side note on the Woodgaz folder: Very little soot forms/deposits on the mesh of the stove. That equates to "cleaner hands" ;) coonie and others that have the folder let us know if you have noticed a small amount of soot on it.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:23 pm

I did one test burn today using an aluminum flat bottom 2 cup capacity. I got the boil for 2 cups using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol. So I ordered parts to make up 20 units.

I don't know what to call it.

Windscreen Pot support with integrated pot :D

Foster Pot with integrated windscreen/pot support :D

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:23 pm

What alcohol stove?

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:52 am

ConnieD wrote:What alcohol stove?
I used the modified Starlyte burner like the one I sent you. Just the bottom, no pot support.