Windscreen Pot Support

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
cruiser

Re: Windscreen Pot Support

Post by cruiser » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:46 pm

There is a lot of neat stuff going on here.

Maybe I am focusing on the wrong aspect of this but I REALLY like the idea of what appears to be virtually an integrated pot/windscreen, where the pot never needs to be removed except maybe for cleaning. The square design really seems to facilitate this ... good draft up the corners while providing structural support for the pot.

I know for myself when I hike long distances I regretfully become really lazy. I want to do my camp chores (set up shelter, cook, clean, etc.) and just go to sleep as quickly and as painlessly as possible. Whenever I use my Caldera Cone set-up and I go to lift and pour from my pot it always gets kinda stuck at the top of the cone and I invariably burn/scald myself trying to disengage it ... plus there is the really annoying fiddle factor of assembling and disassembling all those pieces and trying to get the slip-closure to work without clumsily cutting myself on the bloodthirsty edges. Your design has potential to address most if not all of those particular issues. The lightweight lazy-mans unpressurized-alcohol version of the Jet-Boil!!!

Question though ... if you boil the pot in the windscreen and pour the pot in the windscreen and store/pack/protect the pot in the windscreen what is the advantage to having the windscreen be hinged and collapsible as opposed to just simply bending it on a brake?

Cheers

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:13 pm

The main focus is "user friendly" the little storage cup can be pitched and the StarLyte Burner stored inside the pot. A fuel bottle can be stored inside the pot also along with other goodies.

It would require a "special" type of brake to form a square so I did it the second best way :D

I know what you're talking about when you say there is a fiddle factor for assembly of the Caldera Cone, especially the aluminum one for the Foster's pot.

I like easy also. The end of a day is when we want food, warm drink and then hit the sack asap :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:50 pm

So I had this "Am I stupid" thought while hiking this past weekend.

Dan you said you like the "whirlwind" windscreen because is centers the flame under the pot.

Why do we want the flame centered under the pot? I mean I realize that is what every camp stove is designed to do, but ... why?

I assume the rationale is to minimize heat-loss, but are there not also disadvantages to heating the pot in the bottom center ... a couple off-the-head examples:

1: Water being a poor conductor is dependent on convectional circulation to distribute applied heat ... hot water rises, cold water descends ... but a bottom-center-up "blossoming" convectional flow pattern does not intuitively seem as efficient as a circular flow pattern ... i.e. hot water rises on one side, cold water descends down the other.
2: Concentrating the heat on the bottom center would seem to maximize the possible HX interference of Liedenfrost effect inside the pot.
3: Concentrating combustion onto a flat centered area would seem to maximize boundary layer HX interference outside the pot.

If the real issue is minimizing systemic heat loss, why not concentrate on some type of asymetrical baffled side wall with an off-center flame? I am just wondering if I am missing something totally fundamental here.

PS: I asked "why" a lot as a kid, in case you couldn't tell.

Cheers.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:10 pm

cruiser, when I was testing the caldera cone by viewing it from under neath I could see the flame being pushed off center of the pot bottom even though the pot was centered over the starlyte burner. The holes in the cone allow more air to come in and exit more so on one side of the cone. Cones that are made to accommodate pots with handles really push the flame off to one side because of the large opening for the handle. My way of thinking is to get the flame in the center to begin with and let the heat rise with equal distribution as it goes around the pot.

As I was testing the cone I would blow air at it and the flame would flicker erratically indicating disturbance. That does not happen with the louvered design.

Years ago we had a tornado come through the area and did a lot of damage. As I drove around the areas hit the hardwst I noticed corn cribs were still standing near farm house buildings that were flattened by the wind. Just like you, I asked questions when growing up :D why not the corn silos? I had to investigate :D

Tornadic winds swirling around the corn crib/silos equalized the pressure and prevented their collapse/destruction. I'll google and see if I can find some more technical to add to this. :geek:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/