Windscreen Pot Support

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Re: Windscreen Pot Support

Post by zelph » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks RR. Just happened to stumble upon the caps/lids while at the campground. The woman that makes them is only 20 min. away from the campground and is going to stop by on Sat. to drop off the 100 that I purchased. Saved me some bucks on shipping charges. She's passing by on her way to a graduation party in a small town 5 min away. There are a few guys at backpackinglight that are interested in capping off the StarLyte stove burner in their quest for a light weight Caldera Cone set-up.

This windscreen pot support is bassakwards from the Caldera Cone when I come to think of it. It's square not round. Everything stores inside the windscreen(pot, bowl and burner) The Caldera Cone stores inside the pot and the pot inside a plastic container for protection.

The stability feature in the square windscreen comes from the 2 earth anchors/hinges at opposite corners for maximum wind resistance. I read recently that someone fills his pot first and then assembles the Caldera Cone so that he can place the loaded pot into the cone so it doesn't get blown away. With my design the burner is preloaded with fuel(with cap on until ready to be placed on ground) The burner is placed on the ground, windscreen placed over it and earth anchors pushed in at both corners. At this point the pot is already in the windscreen waiting to be filled with water. Water is then added and a match/lighter is used to light the burner via the air inlet holes at it's base. An alternative is to have the pot in the windscreen, add water and lid, place filled burner on ground, light the burner, place windscreen over burner and then push earth anchors into ground for a maximum wind resistant set-up.

Total weight for the combined windscreed/pot support, 2 cup flat bottom Foster can, the 1.5 cup generic aluminum bowl/cup(stores in base of windscreen) 1.5 ounce capacity burner w/lid, 1 aluminum pot lid and 2 plastic covers for pot and bowl = 4 ounces

Only 4 ounces for all that stuff.

The windscreen is the storage container for all parts. No need for a plastic container to put it in. The pot and bow are easily "press fit" into the windscreen and they will stay put. The plastic lids keep everything you might add to them secure inside.

Now the next phase is the heating of water under controlled test conditions to know exactly how efficient it is. I have modified the kit by adding the extra height to the burner so it could hold more fuel during extreme cold weather. So now it needs further testing.

Here is a photo taken today:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:21 am

No, they don't leak. 3 of them will hold enough fuel for a 2 day overnight hike adventure. 4.5 ounces of fuel. They replace your need for a fuel bottle
I would like a lid for my StarLyte. In my opinion, the Starlyte stove is so much better than a Trangia stove.

The StarLyte is a jewel!

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:22 pm

ConnieD wrote:
No, they don't leak. 3 of them will hold enough fuel for a 2 day overnight hike adventure. 4.5 ounces of fuel. They replace your need for a fuel bottle
I would like a lid for my StarLyte. In my opinion, the Starlyte stove is so much better than a Trangia stove.

The StarLyte is a jewel!
:D

I'll put a couple in the mail for you sometime during the next 2 days while I'm at home.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:28 pm

I did a boil test using cork material as an insulator on the windscreen support. The first test told me to modify the length of the cork to extend a tad/tiny bit over the hinges. Results were fantastic. Was able to pick it up and hold onto it without get hot fingers :DBfire:

Now to design some cork tabs instead of slabs :D ;)

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:14 pm

Ok, I reduced the size of the cork tabs. Slapped em on there with white silicone for further testing. We know the cork is a sure fire winner to use as a pot grabber.

I weighed the Ultimate Storage Container, pot with cover and 3 burners/with covers that will contain 4.5 ounces of fuel. Weight came in at 5.3 ounce.

The USC requires no setting up at all. The pot remains in the storage container while boiling the water.

In the photo there is a storage container that contains a stove, cone shaped windscreen, fuel bottle and pot. It weighs 6.7 ounces.

The Ultimate Storage Container set-up will boil 2 cups of water with 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol.

Three burners hold 1.5 ounces of fuel each and can be snuffed out easily by turning over or covering with flat something until cool enough to put lid on.

The fuel bottle in the kit on the left in photo holds 4 ounces of fuel.
Attachments
Windscreen Potsupport 011.jpg

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:55 am

The fuel bottle in the kit on the left in photo holds 4 ounces of fuel.
Huh? The fuel bottle on the left?

I have a question: is that silicone heat resistant?

I got the lids. Those special lids are perfect. The Starlyte stove can go right in your pocket. No mess.

I think this "windscreen pot support" is becoming a no-fuss no-mess alcohol-fueled jetboil system.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:45 pm

The kit on the left is a caldera cone for the foster can. Inside is their fuel bottle and other stuff.

I spent the day up in Wisconsin and did not have a chance to do my strength test with video.

I think I need to quit my job and get back to serious stove stuff.

Serious design engineers will tell us that the square design is more efficient than the round one. More efficient use of space. ;)

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:35 am

Zelph, I like the cork idea. Do you think it would be practical to wrap and adhere cork to the top of the side of a Foster's pot above some ridges? It might work with an alky stove or it may burn up :o
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Well, the SS continues to work well for me. However, that Starlyte with cover is just plain awesome.

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:16 pm

This was a fun design to watch in the process of being made. Thanks for posting all the pics zelph. Really clever idea.

I wonder if there would be any boil time benefit in colder weather if you corked the whole windscreen.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."