Esbitmizer

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Esbitmizer

Post by zelph » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:30 am

A new creation. Holds 2 esbit tabs. Has a sliding simmer device that lets one full tab do the initial boiling of water and then allows for the second tab to be put into a simmer mode by sliding it over the burned out one. The first tab ignites the second.

The design allows for a controlled burn of the tablets. Prevents what folks are refering to as "runoff" aka radical burn ;)

It's made of stainless steel and weighs a 14 grams, just under 1/2 ounce. It's "rugged" to the max.

I bet you all were thinking I don't like tinkering with esbit :o well for sure I don't prefer the odor when you open the package and snuff out a burning cube. There is a video on youtube of the little gram cracker made by Trail Designs that shows Rand blowing out a burning tab and a big cloud of smoke comes off it. Well that cloud will make you puke :roll: if you get a whiff of it. Esbit has it's place in the backpacking world so who am I to ignor it. ;)

I'll be doing some timed tests this week end. Going to do some more black bean cooking.

I'll also be trying it out under the GI stainless steel pots. As you know, they are super durable and require a little more time to boil 2 cups of water in them. I'll be burning 2 tabs at once under the kidney shaped pot with the pot filled.

The burner holds onto the tabs in such a way to permit them to be tilted and not fall out of the holder. This allows a person to hold onto the cubes and tip them over at a 45* angle in order to light one. No need to light a cube and place it into a burner.You'll see what I mean once I do a video.
Attachments
esbitizer.jpg
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: Esbitmizer

Post by oops56 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:24 am

well lets get the show on the road i got lots esbit stoves may need one more :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:04 pm

oops56 wrote:well lets get the show on the road i got lots esbit stoves may need one more :lol:
:mrgreen: One more will never hurt.

My testing showed me I needed to make a slight change in the simmer device. :roll: Who said it would be easy :lol: Once I put a pot over it, things began to change :o It started to burn faster. The radiant heat did it ;)

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Slowly progressing :o

This simmer slide with 2 round holes is much better. 8-) What you see is how the esbitmiser will hold 2 tabs to be used to boil2+ cups of water and then simmer it. The exposed tablet on the right is lit first and the flame progresses to the left. At a certain point the simmer slide is moved to the right once the water boils and remains there till finished cooking. Tomorrow I'll do 2 boil/timing tests with a video.
Attachments
esbitizer 001.jpg

Abela

Post by Abela » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:09 pm

As an esbit only hiker, sweeeeeeet!!!

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:31 pm

Abela wrote:As an esbit only hiker, sweeeeeeet!!!
Ahhhh Yes! There are quite a few that are hard core esbit users.

I had to watch for the good deals on ebay in order to get a load of it so I can do some extensive testing. I did not find it easy locating a store locally that sold it.

I did not get a chance this past week to do more testing on it while I was camping........bummer :o I went car camping for an annual holloween thing. Kids kept me too busy and my wife had too many honeydoos for me :roll: I did a lot of cooking and dishes :lol:

Abela

Post by Abela » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:51 am

Yeah I have to buy it in bulk, and that is usually not easy. The few stores locally that have it almost never have more than three or four little boxes of it... and I tend to order it in boxes of 20 at a time for longer hikes.

Interestingly, I have started using the little 4 gram esbits rather than the larger standard 14 gram size ones. I find that I end up being able to shave a couple ounces off the total weight of them, and makes for less mess because I am not hauling around partially used cubes.

Hey totally off-topic... any further update on the lids? I sent you a PM awhile back and do not remember hearing back from you. You still planning on pushing them out for sale? I seriously want one for my Evernew 600. It is one awesome little pot but the lid is 20 grams. Crazy.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:01 am

The lids are on the back burner due to too many irons in the fire. My daughter and I put the finishing touches on a big batch of Fancee Feest stoves. There has been and continues to be a large volume of them being sold for some odd reason. There must be a forum somewhere that is really hypeing them up.

My esbitmizer is sitting in the garage with 2 esbit cubes in it calling my name out to get it lit and test it again :roll: I looked it in the eye today several times as I walked by it. :mrgreen:

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Last night I gurned those last 2 tabs.

They burned for a total of 56 min.

Boiled 2 cups in 18 min. I could have boiled 4 cups in about another 4 min and then let it simmer for the remainder.

Results are good. Now to order some more esbit online. :roll:

JesterJosev

Post by JesterJosev » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:52 pm

Recently our friend Sugemery did a series of camping videos where he used your Fancee Feest stove, I wouldn't doubt thats the reason your sales have picked up considerably.