Esbitmizer

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Re: Esbitmizer

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Believe me it takes 10 times as long to draw it...
I realy really believe you :D

I tried several times to picture your creation in my mind but got a little mixed up in the process of looking at your line drawings. A pickature would do me good :lol: I much prefer to use weber starters, they really light fast and have no odor. but, I have not compared the two in side by side burn tests.

I'll try to get the video done in the morning.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:39 pm

Looking forward to some video. I like the snuffability of the esbitmizer. RG's drawing looks like guitar tablature. I think I see it though.

RG- Bocote is a beautiful wood. Make sure you post some picatures of that bad boy when you get it finished. I have a take-down longbow in bocote being built by Big Jim. I may need a UKE to match it. :D

I have been playing with solid fuel a bit recently too. I havent ever tried the weber cubes but have had a batch of esbit forever. I have never been fond of the smell. I am a die-hard wood guy, but Every once in a while I burn one in a fire mug to see how it burns in different models. I have always been able to boil a couple of cups of water with a cube but was never really impressed with the performance in that configuration. I had always set the cube in the base of the mug. Depending on the mug, the distance between the cube and the pot might be as much as 5".
I got the idea to place an old esbit bendy-type stove/stand in the top of a firemug. This wouldnt be unlike what RG is describing I think. It is thin sheet and comes pre cut to bend with 4 short legs and 4 longer prongs on top.The top prongs of the stand "spring-load and sit flush with the top edge of the stove. This setup works extremely well.

I recently went on a week long hike where half of my alcohol leaked out in my pack on the first day. I am not about to move away from alcohol stoves but Esbit
is more fun than I thought and will not leak. :geek:
I am constantly fiddling with stoves, fuels, pots, baking, etc. but havent had time to make any videos recently especially since the time change. I have however been burning away. Esbit/Tiny woodstoves for tiny pots have been my most recent evening activities.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:57 am

Once the esbit cube is out of it's plastic container the smell can permeate into areas that you least expect it. The odor is strong and lingering, so measures have to be taken to protect your pack and hands.

I'm off to a slow start today :o but I'll get the video done!

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:20 pm

I got a video made....whoooo, busy day.

This video also shows how well it will allow simmering. The burner will hold 2 cubes if you prefer to burn 2 at a time for mega flames and super fast heating. Just a reminder, fast is not efficient.

Let me know what you think of this latest improvement over the original version.

Abela

Post by Abela » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:42 pm

You are in the middle of the freaking wilderness... how can the smell of esbit really be so bad worth going through all of this effort? Even a slight breeze and you are just never going to smell esbit. I think some of you guys need to get out of your houses more and into the woods. If you guys think the problem with esbit is the smell.... well, try lifting your arm up and taking a wiff after you have been out there for four or five days.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:21 pm

You are in the middle of the freaking wilderness... how can the smell of esbit really be so bad worth going through all of this effort?
I prefer ode de wood burner in the middle of the freaking wilderness.

I design based on the many comments I read on several forums. My personal experience with esbit tells me it will stink as much in the freaking wilderness as it does at home. I don't dare burn this stuff in my house :roll: Esbit does'nt smell bad when it burns. When it's blown out and when it's in storage it wreaks with a bad odor. I had 2 cubes stored inside one of the Esbitmizers. They were in their commercial plastic containers. The smell went right through the plastic into the plastic bag I had them wrapped in. Whodda thunk it. There are many folks out there that use esbit and don't mind the odor or they put up with it because they want to. Just like yourself. Esbit has it's place in the scheme of things.

When I go on an overnighter I'll use esbit in an Esbitmiser just for the ease of it....I like easy. :P

Abela, how did you like the ease of being able to simmer with it? :D

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:50 pm

Effort? It just looks like a demonstration. I dont think there is a problem with esbit. I just I said that I wasnt fond of the smell. I should have said that I am more fond of the smell of a woodfire. That being said I havent ever noticed any smell while burning esbit but I almost always just let it burn out.
I havent used it much because I already have a different system that works extremely well for me. I try out all different types of fuels however in my stoves to see how they work. Esbit seems to work fine and I wouldnt mind carrying a few for backup. (cant spill it)
Obviously tons of people love the stuff.
It is very light and dependable.
It just seems a little expensive, I have to mail order it, there is packaging left over, Its hard to find in many small towns.
I am also un-practiced as to how to "dose" the tablets for a specific boil to avoid wasting esbit or having to deal with leftover pieces. I just need more practice. Wood is free. I find it everywhere.
I have also noticed that instead of the uniform black chalky creosote on the bottom of my pot that I get from wood I get a very sticky residue that actually wants to stick to potstands unless it is removed.
As far as being in the woods....I grew up in the woods.I live in the woods. I make a fire almost every day.
p.s. I am sure that I stunk way worse on my last trip :geek:

Abela

Post by Abela » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:58 am

zelph wrote:Abela, how did you like the ease of being able to simmer with it? :D
Pretty neat getting esbit to simmer. I have seen a couple of folks come up with systems to do that.

Only time I really care about simmering is if I am in a base-camp situation, which are very very rare for me (maybe once every four or five years) and the use of canister/liquid fuel is typically used.

When it comes to my long distance hikes, it is all about getting water up to around the 175 °F (crab eyes level) in order to have the water hot enough for food and tea or coffee. For that I could just set the esbit cube on the ground, but these days I use the brian green esbit tray which is about 4 grams in weight and does a rather nice job of getting the ground from getting scorched and giving me a complete burnoff of the cube without residual left on the tray.

But anyway, yeah, having the container like you do could prove to be helpful for those who would like to be able to keep their half-burned esbit cube contained in a clean manner. Not really sure of a situation where it would need to be so long as to hold two or three esbit cubes, but then as I already mentioned, never done any dry bake cooking with esbit, so for those who do do that, this could potentially be a pretty sweet little design.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Well yesterday I had the thought to put 2 esbit cubes in the container and light both at the same time and then snuff out when water is ready.

The container serves several purposes. Ground protector, snuffer, simmer cover, container for unused cube until next time needed, storage for two cubes for an overnighter.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:12 pm

No, I'm not done with this one yet :lol: Life has thrown a few curves and can't do my stove stuff at the regularity that I would like to.