Laminar Flow Titanium Windscreen

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
cadyak

Re: Laminar Flow Titanium Windscreen

Post by cadyak » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:26 pm

You have been busy. Those look nice!

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:13 pm

Wow, what a diversified kit allowing THREE different options of fuel for cooking! Great job, Zelph!!! Have you had time to weigh your kit; less fuel?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks cadyak, working with ti is an eye opener. The stuff is really durable under high heat. No wonder they use it in suppersonic aircraft etc.
Ridgerunner wrote:Wow, what a diversified kit allowing THREE different options of fuel for cooking! Great job, Zelph!!! Have you had time to weigh your kit; less fuel?
Been occupied with other stuff. My wife distracted me today bigtime :lol: I spend a lot of time trying to locate stuff I need to process stove stuff :roll: I'll be glad when I can sort stuff out in the greenhouse.

Part of the operation of making the windscreens is heat treating them to retain their round shape. Their ability do so makes them totally user friendly. They never have to be assembled/disassembled. They stay ready to use when you remove them from the stuff sack. The titanium is under no tension which is a safety "plus" The heat treat prepares them for the intense heat they will under go when used in the wood burn mode.

Because I changed the location of the 1/2 dia. holes I'll have to do my tests over again. :roll: So it's going to be a while before I get these to market. They have to pass my requirements and expectations first. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Today I made some changes. I now have a 1 piece grate for the wood burning mode and added a storage container to the base of the pot.

Watch the photobucket video

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:46 am

thats the total kit there. and superlight. I like your welded potstand design too. I would love to be able to whip up something like that.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:02 pm

cadyak wrote:thats the total kit there. and superlight. I like your welded potstand design too. I would love to be able to whip up something like that.
Yeah, that's everything you could ever want. If you choose the wide mouth Fosters you can cook in it or just use it for water.

I still have to do several high volume loads of wood test burns to see how well the light weight grates hold up under the intense heat. Hopefully tonight I can get the time. Plumbing project is keeping me busy today, plus shipping.

The windscreen/stove can easily be rolled up and stored inside the Foster pot if prefered.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:33 pm

The windscreen/stove can easily be rolled up and stored inside the Foster pot if prefered.
So the windscreen comes apart ? I was under the impression that it was a fixed cylinder. :oops:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
So the windscreen comes apart ? I was under the impression that it was a fixed cylinder. :oops:
It shows it coming apart in the last video. It does come apart and easily goes back together.

So, If you wanted to make a fire in it without using the grate that would make life easier. For instance in a camp site near a shelter where there is fire ring and dirt all around and leave no trace is out of the question you can make the fire right on ole dirt bed.

I forgot to include a sheet of .002 stainless steel 6"x6" to lay down as ground protector. :oops:

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:54 pm

I was able to get 1 test burn in tonight. I got it nice and red hot for at least 15 min. The grate held up well and the Titanium is perfect.No warping at all.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:46 pm

It shows it coming apart in the last video. It does come apart and easily goes back together.
:oops: :oops: Oops. That's what I get for not watching the entire video. When you decided to go thru it all a second time, I hit the back button....5 seconds before you unrolled the Ti windscreen/pot support.