The "GEEK' Alcohol Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Re: The "GEEK' Alcohol Stove

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:10 pm

cruiser wrote:Mmmm ...
I hate to disagree with a living legend, but I think you need to boil water with it. Then call it a stove.
I can put a pot stand on an apple. Still just an apple.
LOL.

I have some material associated with this coming sometime this week and I've been doing a bunch of research. I don't know why this one interests me so much. The hazards of being unemployed. Idle hands and all that. I'll post here once I get my toys.

Any smell from those wicks? If you smell something like formaldehyde, they may need more Oxygen for complete combustion. I know you said you were reading 600 degrees. Apparently in complete PT/Methanol catalytic combustion you can get 600 to 900 degrees, so your on the low end. Partial oxidation yields all the nasty stuff, with lower exothermic yields. LOL. Google makes me sound like I know what I'm talking about!

According to something I read on some obscure site in a foreign language, you'll want your pot around 10mm from the top of the reaction site and you'll want to protect it from the wind.

Good luck. I'll post again when I have something to show you.
Just checking in to see if "cruiser" has gotten anything going on his research into this cool area of heat production.

Give a link to the to the foreign language site.

Tell us more about the low exothermic yields :D.............and the Living Legend :lol: nobody here by that name :?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:19 pm

Geeky thoughts today looking for a special stove in the archives and came across this thread :mrgreen:

I'm looking for a stove I made with a coiled wire thingy :D

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:48 pm

Hey Dan!

I got waylaid by an unexpected thru hike.
When opportunity rises, I walk. LOL.

I apparently have a lot of reading to catch up on ... just wanted to poke in and explain the long silence. (HOLY COW, the Starlyte has grown large in my absence!)

Winter is here, so it is the season of playing with fire in my shed. Muuhoohahahahah. (Evil laugh)

Cheers,

Cruiser

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:34 pm

being on a thru is way better than being here :lol:

Wow, yes....the StarLyte just got bigger in the last few weeks of putzin around. I call it the StarLyte XL4.5

Has a fuel capacity of 4.5 oz.

Recent talk about a new reactor type canister stove made me think of how delicate reactor mesh is. The coating is easily damaged by liquids coming in contact with the plating on the wire.
Attachments
StarLyte XL4.5 010.JPG

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Interesting note about the catalytic mesh being vulnerable to liquid contact. I had read only particular substances could foul a properly coated mesh substrate, but I need to go back to my old notes to remind myself. Where were you reading these observations?

I actually did get my hands on a couple pieces of high-qulaity platinum and rhodium plated catalytic mesh ... one from a rocket scientist and one from a gas reformation company. I got interrupted by life and haven't experimented yet, but this winter I have free time .... did I do my evil laugh yet? Muuooohaahahahaha. (Please don't tell my wife.)

I cannot help but note that the Starlyte XL4.5 is starting to look at lot like the original Origo stove!!! With the increase in size and capacity have you changed your construction design ... IOW is your absorbent substrate still oriented vertically, or are you laying it horizontally and integrating a fiber wick like the marine stove design? If you are still arranging it in a vertical fashion, I cannot help but think the top corners away from the burner opening become dead space, tending to hold fuel in the corner and keeping it from the combustion point.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:49 pm

cruiser wrote:Interesting note about the catalytic mesh being vulnerable to liquid contact. I had read only particular substances could foul a properly coated mesh substrate, but I need to go back to my old notes to remind myself. Where were you reading these observations?

I actually did get my hands on a couple pieces of high-qulaity platinum and rhodium plated catalytic mesh ... one from a rocket scientist and one from a gas reformation company. I got interrupted by life and haven't experimented yet, but this winter I have free time .... did I do my evil laugh yet? Muuooohaahahahaha. (Please don't tell my wife.)

I cannot help but note that the Starlyte XL4.5 is starting to look at lot like the original Origo stove!!! With the increase in size and capacity have you changed your construction design ... IOW is your absorbent substrate still oriented vertically, or are you laying it horizontally and integrating a fiber wick like the marine stove design? If you are still arranging it in a vertical fashion, I cannot help but think the top corners away from the burner opening become dead space, tending to hold fuel in the corner and keeping it from the combustion point.
It was my own personal observations concerning the contamination of the coating with liquids such as kerosene versus alcohol. Kerosene is a contaminant. Not sure if the contamination can be removed. Have not tried it.

I have changed construction design on the larger StarLyte. It has a food grade steel top. The absorption material is still oriented with the fibers being in the vertical orientation. I suspect there are "dead areas" and I never expect to use all fuel in one burn scenario. always some fuel will remain just like in the "Trangia" This big StarLyte has a air tight lid to prevent vaporization of fuel. I may even carry 2 of them.....one acting like a 4oz fuel bottle :D

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:56 pm

"platinum and rhodium

These are not substances you want on a burner mesh: around people.

Heavy metals are highly toxic, to human beings. If you are a human being, then, forget it.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:32 am

I do believe the reactors in the canister stoves use these elements but not positive. Can't recall the names of the stoves, to early in the morning :?

The burner with the 4 round things is made of platinum coated ceramic cylinders.