Going Camping

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Going Camping

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Going tent camping for a week down to Southern Illinois where it's suppose to be warmer :D

Shawnee National Forest area.

Going to use my Large Kelly Kettle for water heating. Mountain House meals will be the order of the day. Paper plates and cups will be used as fire starters during campfire hours ;) Campfires are usually all day long :lol:

I'll check in on occasion to say hi. There should be Wifi available in a near by town of "Metropolis" superman town. :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

FireTamer

Re: Going Camping

Post by FireTamer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:37 pm

Sounds great...Have FUN!!!

FT

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Make sure you take plenty of pictures, video, and do some stove testing :D :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm back...........now to catch-up on stuff :D

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:26 pm

Welcome back Brother Zelph! :DP: I hope you had a great time and got to eat, laugh, and burn a few fires :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:54 pm

good luck catching up. cant wait to see what comes out of the stoveworks next :geek:

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:11 pm

I burned 2 fires :( The local wood was terrible to burn. Never did find out what the species was. It was dense,heavy stuff that burned slow and clean. One fire could last all night. Not your regular campfire fire that we all expect to see. :roll:

One good fire was accomplished with drift wood along the shore of the Ohio River. It was hard picking the wood because the shoreline was covered with rough rocks that were of gallon size to prevent errosion. Most of the driftwood was big stuff. The small campfire size was there but you really had to work for it :mrgreen:

I got one great idea while experimenting with stove stuff. It's for a revolutionary windscreen design. :lol: :lol: Revolutionary, what a word. We see it used often in the stove world. It's an aluminum windscreen with vertical walls. I should be able to test my idea tomorrow. Today is catch up on shipping stove stuff. Some stuff I have to make, like the reducer piece for the Modified StarLyte burner which is really working well for those with the Caldera Cone set-ups. The StarLyte burner works better than the 12-10 stove that is made by Trail Designs and is furnished with a cone.

Southern Illinois, 2 days ago, the temperature down there was 85 degrees. Yesterday when we got back up to Northern Illinois it was 45 degrees with expected snow flurries in the late evening :lol:

Glad to be back.

zelph

Wonders of Nature

Post by zelph » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:07 pm

I was driving along a gravel road and spotted this young tree and had to get a closer look. The vine had deformed it at an early age. Nature at it's finest in creating works of art. ;) I put my car keys on it to show size of tree.
Attachments
Fort Massac, IL 003.jpg
Fort Massac, IL 007.jpg

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:06 pm

That is the kind of sapling we hunt for to make nice walking sticks. They are in an area with a lot of vines that grow up and around young saplings causing the curly trunks.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:That is the kind of sapling we hunt for to make nice walking sticks. They are in an area with a lot of vines that grow up and around young saplings causing the curly trunks.
My first thought was to cut it down and make a walking staff or something. The thought quickly went away and decided it should stay there and let others see it. So I took a photo of it and now ya'll can see it :D